Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

Doug C

Practically Family
1stsargent wrote:
Levis no longer sells the LVC on there site and the San Francisco store only carries a small selection.

Do yourself a favor and buy from Dejan at http://www.cultizm.com/
Good service, good prices, super fast delivery from Germany to just about anywhere. By the way you can get this stuff a bit cheaper via his Ebay store, free shipping. The ebay store you're looking for is "ADIDAS ORIGINALS".

Doug C

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Way Jeans Used To Be...

Arthur.jpg
Arthur...
5904.jpg
Hagen...
jean2.jpg
Seberg...
sjff_03_img1344.jpg
Simmons

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
Speaking of the way jeans used to be, I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried a pair of these vintage-looking jeans, supposedly 1940-style available in the UK from Soldier of Fortune (a repro vendor with links to What Price Glory in the US)?

Haven't tried them but they look kinda interesting.
But they don't look like the Army dungarees to me.

Interesting, but.

B
T

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
They look interesting, and could be good, but their description leaves a lot in question. "1940's fit" could be a bit more precise, since jeans were looser at the beginning of the decade and slimmer towards the end. Either way, they should be a straight leg, and the price appears reasonable.

Black buttons and a selvage coin pocket are definitely not period details though.

Doug C

Practically Family
I question the whole narrow leg thing ever being popular in the 40's regarding men's trousers and jeans, like we see on those jeans that were linked and like the current LVC model 1947s. I could be totally off base but I've never seen it in old movies or books, etc.

Doug C

shortbow

Practically Family
I am so not an expert, but I've just been through all of the nearly 600 pages of photos on Shorpy with a keen eye, and any jeans pictured there from the 19th century all the way up to the '50,s are loose and fairly baggy. In fact, the loose fit five star Wranglers I have are pretty dang close to what I've seen there, and they are cheap and easy to come by. If they were button fly, they'd be perfectomundo.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found these on Ebay, (not my size) with little to no description of what they are. They're from the Levis RED line, but no other info. I NEED a pair!
!BSIfD(Q!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl3iGJBKBswmNmo!~~_1.JPG

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
just_me said:
The way jeans used to be in my neighborhood (Brooklyn) was dungarees. lol We never called them jeans. Anybody else call them dungarees in the 50s and 60s?

I wonder when they switched to being jeans. I don't think anyone calls them dungarees anymore.

Yes, I grew up in East Flatbush and Canarsie inthe 60s and early 70s, and they were dungarees. No one called them jeans until 'designer jeans' arrived in the mid 70s. The jeans with the bib and built-in suspenders were overalls - farm-wear, but very popular for a while elsewhere.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
stephen1965 said:
That's really interesting... so Lee and Wrangler were worn by 'cowboy kids'. I'd really be interested, if you had the time, to know roughly what parts of the U.S or which states would be wearing Lee or Wrangler denim.

Well, I definitely wasnt a cowboy kid (we didnt have any cows in Brooklyn, except in the butcher or in the meat section at Waldbaums) but I grew up in Wranglers (couldnt afford Levi's).

I have Levi's and Wranglers now. I got the Wranglers at Walmart for like $16. Great quality. I wear em all the time. Had my current 2 pair for a few years now. The only thing wrong with them is that the bottoms are a little ragged because I get em long enough to wear over my motorcycle boots, but often wear em with sneakers, so the bottoms drag on the ground.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
Levis did make a western jean. I believe it was the 517. Between the 501's and the 517's I wore a lot of flare, bell and elephant bells(not proper levis names). The Wrangler 13MWZ were a western jean sanctioned by the pro rodeo assoc.

Yes, 517s wer the boot-cut. Problem with them, for me, anyway, was that they were cut narrower in the waist and upper leg so I had to go to a bigger size to get them to fit comfortably. I've never liked tight clothes.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Your corporate network at work is blocking the source of the images by blocking access to picture hosting sites like photobucket, etc. So you can't see the images at work.

Moby

Familiar Face
Don't EVER shrink your denim jeans by wearing them in the bathtub!! A young woman was killed by her too tight jeans after wearing them in the tub! They just shrunk so much and were too tight to begin with and constricted her like an anaconda!! (Sorry, just an urban legend) LOL

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Your corporate network at work is blocking the source of the images by blocking access to picture hosting sites like photobucket, etc. So you can't see the images at work.

Thats what I had thought, but it doesnt block all images. I guess it doesnt block from every site. For instance, the first picture from the 'what hat are you wearing today' thread always shows up. Many, but not all, others do not.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Moby said:
Don't EVER shrink your denim jeans by wearing them in the bathtub!! A young woman was killed by her too tight jeans after wearing them in the tub! They just shrunk so much and were too tight to begin with and contricted her like an anaconda!! (Sorry, just an urban legend) LOL

Did she also wake up in that tub the next day with no kidneys? Ya know, after she was dead? [huh] :D

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Soldier of Fortune 1940s jeans... Seen 'em, handled 'em. They're OK for what they are. I collect vintage denim. If I didn't I may have bought a pair of these...

BellyTank said:
Haven't tried them but they look kinda interesting.
But they don't look like the Army dungarees to me.

Interesting, but.

B
T

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
scottyrocks said:
Well, I definitely wasnt a cowboy kid (we didnt have any cows in Brooklyn, except in the butcher or in the meat section at Waldbaums) but I grew up in Wranglers (couldnt afford Levi's).

Right, so Wranglers did make it to the city and the east coast then. In my imagination (I'm from England), they were a Texas or South West thing..I'm imagining rodeos (maybe the Wrangler logo)... Though scottyrocks, you look young in your avatar so maybe they started out West but made it nationwide by the 7O's. I still associate wranglers with cowboys, levis (more urban)with bikers, and Lee with farm workers or rural types (not cowboys). But, as I say I'm from England. Here, wranglers aren't seen much at all.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
New member here...

Hey

First off, love the photos that have been posted. Neat stuff.

I'm curious as to the sizing on the shrink-to-fit LVC's. Thinking of getting a pair of 1947's, but does anyone have some advice on how to get a good fit? I think I need around a size 32X34...

Also, according to the LVC jeans that I've seen listed, Levis stopped using selvedge cloth in 1983... anyone know if that's true? Wild how quality and price have changed over the course of so short a time...

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana