Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
I believe that the 1947 runs true to the tagged size. So, if you're actually a 32x34, then you'd probably need a 33x36 or so to account for the shrinkage.

As for the use of selvage, I believe you are correct that they stopped using it in 1983.

High Pockets

Practically Family
stephen1965 said:
Right, so Wranglers did make it to the city and the east coast then. In my imagination (I'm from England), they were a Texas or South West thing..I'm imagining rodeos (maybe the Wrangler logo)... Though scottyrocks, you look young in your avatar so maybe they started out West but made it nationwide by the 7O's. I still associate wranglers with cowboys, levis (more urban)with bikers, and Lee with farm workers or rural types (not cowboys). But, as I say I'm from England. Here, wranglers aren't seen much at all.
Several decades ago when I was trying to make it as a bull-rider, no self respecting cowboy would be seen in a pair of Levi's. We all wore the official jean of the PRCA; Wranglers 13MWZ.
Wranglers 13mwz (style #13-Men's With Zipper) were designed with the saddle in mind. The thick seam is on the outside of the leg and the thinner seam is on the inseam of the legs so they didn't rub you so raw in the saddle. Levi's (city jeans) were the opposite.
Wranglers were cut with a higher waist so your shirt stayed in better and the rear pockets are higher so your wallet's not under your butt while sittin in the saddle.

Wranglers starched "bulletproof";

n745475841_396340_9946.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Growing up in 50's and 60's Texas and New Mexico, the working cowboys - those who made a living as ranch hands - wore Levis mostly, sometimes Lees. I never saw jeans for sale anywhere then and there other than these two brands.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So I don't do the whole very expensive, but much better quality jeans thing, but I wanted to say something in favor of regular Levi's. They come in size 32x36. That size doesn't really exist in most stores I see.

Although I can see why people would complain about the cut, they work great on me, but I am 6'6" and 175lbs. Not exactly your standard body type (makes finding vintage clothing the devil to find).

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I bought a 1901 LVC Levi's repro.. really dissapointed in the made quality: denim is too thin in my opinion.. probably will get firmer after a few washings.. but what really struck me are the fake donut-buttons.. I will post a picture later to illustrate.. really cheesy man!!:eek:

mattfink

Practically Family
djgo-cat-go said:
I bought a 1901 LVC Levi's repro.. really dissapointed in the made quality: denim is too thin in my opinion.. probably will get firmer after a few washings.. but what really struck me are the fake donut-buttons.. I will post a picture later to illustrate.. really cheesy man!!:eek:

10oz denim was probably more the standard in 1901. They'll thicken as the weave tightens up after washing.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
mattfink said:
10oz denim was probably more the standard in 1901. They'll thicken as the weave tightens up after washing.

If I were to dig up gold, silver or coal in a mine wearing this jean, it would prolly be ripped to shreds in a week.. It's an original repro though.. I'll wash it some more, thanks.

mike

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
If I were to dig up gold, silver or coal in a mine wearing this jean, it would prolly be ripped to shreds in a week.. It's an original repro though.. I'll wash it some more, thanks.

Huh... I've always heard not to wash raw denim. :eusa_doh:

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Mose said:
Ignore everything you read on Superfuture, except Paul Trynka's posts.

That site's quite a lot of reading! So you're saying wash or nope, just stick em in the freezer? Obviously the latter would be a lot cooler.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
I boil mine first thing. Get the shrinkage over and done with. And I don't like the fuzzyness of some new denims.
Then wash 'm whenever they're dirty. The nonwash thing is a fashion fad.
My grandmothers were obsessed with clean clothes. It meant you had class even if you were poor. Clothes would be repaired, handed down, remade into other garments, but they'd always be clean. Brushed, aired, washed, sunbleached. That's the goodlooking vintage stuff they're now trying to emulate.
Freezer's good for itchy wool and killing moths.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Mose said:
I boil mine first thing. Get the shrinkage over and done with. And I don't like the fuzzyness of some new denims.
Then wash 'm whenever they're dirty. The nonwash thing is a fashion fad.
My grandmothers were obsessed with clean clothes. It meant you had class even if you were poor. Clothes would be repaired, handed down, remade into other garments, but they'd always be clean. Brushed, aired, washed, sunbleached. That's the goodlooking vintage stuff they're now trying to emulate.
Freezer's good for itchy wool and killing moths.

Fantastic. I have a pair of headlight jeans made by toyo that are too big on me. They have a REALLY generous dairy aire! haha I can't help but wonder who in Japan these fit :eusa_doh: I'm gonna wash the hello outta 'em.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mysterious Mose said:

This might be a little :eek:fftopic: but that photo you posted reminded me of a hilariously funny scene from the 1982 film, 'Police Around The World' (The Police's first world tour that lasted from 1977-1980) where Police guitarist Andy Summers takes on a fight (well...so to speak... :rolleyes:) with a full-blown Sumo wrestler. Have a laugh here:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5v08fuNPk8o&hl=de_DE&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5v08fuNPk8o&hl=de_DE&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have only had bad results with washing and tumble drying selvedge denim.
Tends to make "good" denim look like Mall denim. I avoid hot drying.
Long ago, I had a pair of Edwin Nashvilles(?) which I looked after, wore a lot, washed infrequently, cold and hang dried and they lasted a long time and had excellent colour and contrast. After a good few washings, I started laundering them normally but never tumble dried them. This was before there was a lot of laundering instructions and denim hype.
I think folks are too attached to the sensation of raw/dry denim and don't want to lose that hard, intense surface finish.
It is inevitable, though and realistic, laundering.

It's a difficult subject when talking about LVC, though because some of their
jeans have been rubbish denim.

I'd like to be proven wrong, though, Mose.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112