Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
By the way Thomas...

Hejsan!

I'm not Danish(surprise), Speedster is and can help you with local shops.
I'm relatively new in K??benhavn myself- 10 months here but a new baby has kept me off the streets. I work for a company here in KBH, who does fulfillment for 'Tiger of Sweden'- and surprise, surprise(I was just eyeing some of them up at work today), they use Japanese sourced, selvedge denim. I'm not really up on Tiger and their shops in DK/SV but if you can afford them, there's a jeans style called 'Chief' to look out for but beware, there's a 'skinny fit' and a 'loose fit'. I get a large discount off of retail prices, so I'm tempted to get some and unpick the fancy pocket stitching. I'm sure you're aware that TIGER is a 'premium' brand and as such they ARE fantastically well made (nice brass donut buttons on the fly and brass rivets and massive leather patch)and also, apparently(after listening to an interesting converstaion at work today) command a lot of respect and interest from the (international)denim junkie/jean-nazi/obsessed part of society. People even pre-order for the TIGER jeans with white selvedge- if you even know or care what selvedge even is...

Please tell me about Malm?? shopping- we go there now and again and need some advice on what to look for and where.

Hej hej-

B
T

swinggal

One Too Many
ee Japan have reissued several different styles of 101 including the 1937 horsehide patch cinch-back but they are more than double the price of the Lee Europe jeans - fantastic jeans though.

I have seen these jeans here in Perth too. They are are great, but very expensive and heavy denim.

My friend Hugo from the 20sto40s Syndicate in Germany has a pair original 40s jeans. They are WW2 US Navy jeans that were high-waisted with doughnut buttons and worn with a cuff. Funnily enough, the US Navy used to issue these jeans as part of the uniform during WW2 as they were good for swimming in as the denim is lighter. You see them come up on ebay a bit, eg below. There r 2 pairs up for sale there now.
e1_1.JPG

They were wide and straight and apparently worn casually by many sailors after the war, thus becoming a style.

Salv

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
what's the widest legged, highest waisted modern jean out there ?
anything like Bogie's in 'to have and have not' ?
Old Town/Tin House do their High Rise and Orford in 'vintage' denim, chambray and lightweight denim. The High Rise are wider, with a 19" bottom:

High Rise:
highrise.jpg

Orford:
orfords.jpg

'Vintage' denim
enginedenim.gif
Chambray
chambray.jpg
and lightweight denim
light_denim.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have 'em HBK!

herringbonekid said:
what's the widest legged, highest waisted modern jean out there ?
anything like Bogie's in 'to have and have not' ?

I have a pair of Dungarees just like Bogey's-(almost identical)
as Swingal mentions- the USN dungarees.

Something that one WW2 repro uniform vendor gets right- see here-

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/usndungarees.html

dungaree3.jpg

...not a very good image but the Dungarees are GOOD- high in the waist, wide at the hip and straight through the leg.
Love 'em.
Classic.

Great with the Buzz Rickson Chambray shirt boondockers, or russets and Donald Duck cap.

There's a pic on the FL somewhere... I put it up- it's an off set, mid movie shot of Bogey, Hoagie and Lauren with some Army and AAF visitors.
He's sportn those Dungs.

B
T

Salv

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
i'd like something as close as possible to these.....

Salv, do the Lee Japan 101 you mentioned look anything like that ?

No, they're not as loose and the pockets are different - the ones that BT just posted look exactly the same. The 1933 LVC repros are more like Bogeys except they don't have the patch pockets. There's a dry pair on Yahoo Japan's auction pages with lots of pictures including these:
krespin69-img600x439-114217708102.33501.28.jpg

And a washed pair sold on UK eBay a couple of months back for £66.00
34_3.JPG

My 1933 repros are starting to wear out on the seams at the seat, so I'm thinking about getting a new pair and putting the old ones on eBay. I bought them dry and they've worn really nicely - not washing them for two years helped (I did steam clean them though before anyone accuses me of being a stinky old git...)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Sorry-

bogartbacall.jpg

That was the image I was talking about HBK- it didn't load when I was last here.

The USN Dungarees are different from Bogey's but as near as dammit as you'll find. Bogey's actually have pocket rivets and the front patch pockets are shaped a little differently but they're good- stand up for themselves.

HBK- the Levis Vintage '20s 201s are really loose through the hips- they actually arch outward from the waistband and over the hips- and wide.
You'd like 'em.
What size are you...?

B
T

Salv

One Too Many
Actually, looking a bit more closely at the pockets on Bogey's jeans, Rocacha (yup, them again) used to sell jeans just like that but without the pocket rivets.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I forgot...

herringbonekid said:
32 waist.
are they wide at the ankle opening too ?

Yes- very.

HBK, pop into H&M, yes, Hennes & Mauritz, you might be lucky.
I have bought selvedge denim jeans in a vintage cut (also button fly)there before (London, £19.99 and Denmark)and also some denim 'jeans' with normal trouser pockets, rather than jeans front pockets- they are very loose, with about a 12" rise(zip fly...), finer, lighter weight denim than jeans-jeans... but very vintage dungarees in my book- nothing else like 'em. Same silhouette as those USN Dungarees.
Cheap as the proverbial pomme frittes. Their jeans are dirt cheap but if you get the dark/dry type heavy denim jeans-jeans don't wash them, they wash up crap with a nap. H&M have a brand called L.O.G.G., which is their cheap stuff I guess but there are some surprises amongst the dross.

B
T

Speedster

Practically Family
Tjena thomasbonilsson,

h?ºr ?§r l?§get??

Yes as BellyTank mentioned i'm Danish (although my grandmother is Swedish and my greatgrandmother came from Siam) but i went west 5 years ago and do not live in Copenhagen anymore. I still work there though. But with a house and two small kids, shopping is now mostly done on the internet

So my knowledge of shops in Copenhagen is a bit rusty and outdated. There used to be a few shops in Pisserenden (centered around Larsbj??rnstr?¶de) that imported vintage mens clothes but to the best of my knowledge they closed several years ago. But that area is still worth a try.

There is also a shop in Hessel??gade on ?òsterbro that sells vintage mens clothes but i have never been there and do not know what they stock.

Then there are the Loppetorv. On Fridays there is one on Gl. Strand opposite Thorvaldsens Museum, and on Saturdays there is one on Israels Plads and also on the parking lot behind Frederiksberg R?•dhus. You might get lucky there.

And then there are the thriftstores: Kirkens Korsh?¶r, Frelsens H?¶r and R??de Kors have genbrugsbutikker several places around Copenhagen. I have just bought a tuxedo in my local Kirkens Korsh?¶r store. According to the tailors tag in the inner pocket it was made in August 1958 for an Architect S??rensen. I paid DKK 275.- for it and fits me like it was made for me.

But i guess the biggest chance is EBay or take a cheap ticket to London and shop till you drop or buy on internet stores.

I have bought Dockers K-1 from: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=home

A-2 flying jacket from: http://www.eastmanleather.com/

and Cowboy gear from: http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=home&type=store and from: http://www.riverjunction.com/ and from: http://www.sutlers.co.uk/index.html

Och nu till nogot helt annat: Hatte du n?•gra adresser till shops i Malm????

Speedster

Practically Family
thomasbonilsson said:
By the way. how was riverjunction? I am planning on getting a pair of pants from them.

I have only bought shirts from River Junction, but they are nice to deal with.

My pants are Wahmaker Canvas Frontier Pants bought from Wild West Mercantile.

Back:
CanvasFrontierPant.jpg

Front:
CanvasFrontierPantfront.jpg

Don't expect these pants to be of the same quality material as deadstock vintage levis though.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have similar trousers by C.O.W.S., very similar to the Wah's.
They are high waisted but quite narrow legged, in Classic Old West Style, of course.
Definitely a vintage look which I, myself like but not such a 'Golden Era' dungaree look as with a wider leg and of course, there's no indigo denim in these Western styles.

The Old Town trousers mentioned above are really nice and in the Chambray or Denim, that's a nice vintage dungaree style- but pricey for some.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21