Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

nightandthecity

Practically Family
yeah, they look like pretty classic dungarees - triple stitched side seams by the look of it, and I'll bet they have nice big rear pockets. I think you can just about see a wrench pocket on the leg too. Very nice.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
scotrace said:
1950's. Nice jeans.

grampa_jeans_web.jpg
Looks like a pair of Penney's Big Mac work dungarees, which have been made for many decades with little change in pattern (the denim used back then was of course MUCH better).

nightandthecity

Practically Family
this is a pretty poor photo but I love it as an image despite the fuzziness. It looks almost modern but it is in fact female firefighters at Pearl Harbour in their USN dungarees and chambray shirts.

DSCN5187.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
MudInYerEye said:
Looks like a pair of Penney's Big Mac work dungarees, which have been made for many decades with little change in pattern (the denim used back then was of course MUCH better).

I have a pair of Big Mac dungarees from the 80s. My son took them over and wrecked them in about a month. So yes, the denim wasn't much to shout about. I guess I'll ebay them eventually, go for the "nicely distressed" angle.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Levi's-

If you're going to go with levi's, try to get the Red Label line- best quality and fit- remember-they make them in all different cuts- I like the 550's- relaxed, but still slim enough to not look sloppy with a jacket and decent hat-and a pair of killer vintage cowboy boots- Yee Haw!
FredDairy said:
Can't go wrong with classic Wranglers.
Wrangler.JPG

What about Levi's 501?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have my eye on those too,Artdecodame!
Jeans are so hard to find right now,the price tag doesn't even discourage me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Men's 501 Levi's fit me better than women's jeans. Women's pants in general are too small in the waist and too baggy everywhere else on me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Holey 1947 Levi's

Someone should tell the people at Levi's that self-respecting people in 1947 didn't go about with holes in their jeans if they could possibly help it. The jeans would have been patched and not worn in public except by the very poorest people.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Heres my favorite 1920s 201s made at the Valencia St factory from blue/green line 10 oz denim.
IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_8846.jpg

IMG_7557.jpg

Probably my second favorite of the LVCs are the 37 201s also made at Valencia St (555) on the buttons.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Hey Allen

Just got a pair of the 1947 501 Levis, haven't done anything to them yet, but will have to wash them so they shrink enough to be wearable. I hope I like these better than the 1944's I had and hated. Luckily I sold those on ebay for a nice profit. Still hard to justify the cost of these repros, after all they are just jeans.

SGB

airfrogusmc

Suspended
My advice is wear'm till ya can't stand'm and wear'm another month after that. All of my LVCs I bought raw. The ones that have faded the nicest were the ones I wore for 6 months or so with a rinse or a wash.
Heres some photos of my 37 201s I was talking about.
IMG_8533.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

SGB

One of the Regulars
I can't wear these '47 501's without washing and shrinking them first, they are huge unwashed. Besides being uncomfortable, they look dorky so many sizes too big. I suffered with unwashed 501's as a kid in the 50's and won't do it again. The most uncomfortable first few weeks of school, stiff baggy pants, that made a noise when you walked.....ugh.

SGB

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Well the thing is the more you wash them the more the stiffness comes out. If you want those cool whiskers and honeycombs for me its worth putting up with the stiff denim and baggy fit for a while. Abrasion causes the fading. If you want that great contrast you need to go as long as you can between washings. The washing machine causes abrasion thus making the dark areas much lighter. I would say what as long as you can but if you can't cold water soak them. Heres my current collection of LVCs.
Alltogether.jpg

If you notice the 2 pairs of 1937 201s the dark pair has only been rinsed 3 times and the light pair after several months of wear was accidently washed and have been washed normally ever since. You drop that kind of dough on a pair of LVCs for me its better to break'm in right. This advice is pretty much what Levis recommends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana