Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

SGB

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
All right, when you talk about Wrangler jeans you say "13mwz"...what the heck is that?

The model number of the Cowboy cut jeans.

SGB

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
All right, when you talk about Wrangler jeans you say "13mwz"...what the heck is that?

13mwz is the model name for the basic Wrangler Men's Jeans. They are slim and have a high-rise and straight leg and have been cut the same since the late 40s or early 50s. According to the lore of Wrangler Blue Bell, 13mwz stands for the 13th Men's Western Zipper model of jeans. The earliest Wranglers that I know of were called the 11mw and featured an arcuate similar to the Levi's arcuate, a leather patch on the back pocket, and sailcloth lined back pockets. You can see a deadstock pair for sale here: http://www.ware-house.co.jp/vintage/contents/015.html

Repro Guy

New in Town
just to add,

the 13mwz repros have a bootcut, whereas I think the current one are now straight leg?

I have the repros, but not the current issues.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Repro Guy said:
just to add,

the 13mwz repros have a bootcut, whereas I think the current one are now straight leg?

I have the repros, but not the current issues.

Current 13MWZ are still the same cut as always, as are the slim fits, as of last week at the western store.

SGB

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just went to get some new 501s (my old pair died).
they are absolute junk now.
I'm a 32x36, so I'm pretty tall and skinny.
the last pair I had were wide and kind of baggy on me. The pair I tried on with a 32 waist wouldn't come up over my thighs, the legs were so skinny. So I tried on a pair with a 34 waist, they wouldn't button, but the legs were about six inches too long. So I tried on a pair of 34x34s. The waist was still too small, but the legs were too short. From pair to pair, the sizing varied.
they were all messed up.
and I'm never buying levis again.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I've been waiting for a guinea pig to step forward so I could add a couple of models of vintage style jeans to my clothiers site. I've got the material all lined up, just need a willing subject and some good photos. I'd love to do one of the pre-war models with the cinch at the back, but I'm open to replicating any vintage model. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Indy, what sort of material are you using? Selvedge? What fabric weight? Who makes the fabric? Is it Cone, Japanese, or made somewhere else? Do you have vintage style buttons and rivets? I would like to know more.

Also, you should really shop these over on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum or on SuperFuture's denim forum. I guarantee there will be some interest in both those places.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I'm not sure of the provenance of the denim (I get all my material through one supplier) but I could check into it if you want. It is a 14oz weight and available in five shades from light blue to black. The buttons and rivets will be whatever is readily available, so they won't be specifically vintage replicas. These are the details that will keep my jeans around the $100 mark instead of the $200 mark. I'll have a better understanding of all this once I do a couple of prototypes.

Feel free to spread to word at other forums you know about.

Kind regards,
Indy

Wranglers

Jay is right. On all Wranglers there is a BIG ass paper tag with the different "model's" on them. 13MWZ is the standard cowboy-cut regular fit jeans. Next is the (pay attention long & lean Dinerman) 936 cowboy-cut slim fit. They also have the 31MWZ which is, again, cowboy-cut relaxed fit. Cowboy-cut is a true "boot-cut" to allow puddling on top of your boots. All three come in prewashed (pre-shrunk) or in "rigid" (un-washed, non-shrunk). The rigid kind are less expensive, but you've got to order them very carefully because unless you wash in cold and never put them in a dryer it's hard to size them. I used to get one size up in the waist and two sizes up in length and then wash them 3 times non-stop (inside out) in warm/cold and then line-dry 'em. If they need to shrink a little more, you dry them in a dyer. Save yourself the trouble and buy indigo pre-washed.

They make a "model" named the "Benny" which resembles the older kind of denim they used in the 60's. I had a couple of pairs made of this type of denim, dare I say, back in Jr. High.

Wrangler also has released their new Premium patch line:

8MWZ - relaxed, low waist, straight leg (17 1/2" x 17 1/2")
9MWZ - classic, low waist, tapered leg (18 3/4" x 16 1/2")
10MWZ - relaxed, low waist, extreme boot-cut leg (17 1/2" x 19 1/2")
99MWZ - relaxed, low waist, tapered leg (18 1/2" x 16 1/2")

The last four are supposed to be a "vintage" denim.

No I don't have stock in Wrangler. I just got a new western catalog yesterday.

Good luck.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I've been wearing the same WalMart supplied Wrangler straight leg jeans for many, many years. The number on the bottom right corner of the "leather" tag is "WA783". Actually, they don't look any "lower waisted" than any of the vintage jeans shown here.

I gotta tell you, it's funny when I see all you people say that you have one or two pairs of jeans....:rolleyes:

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
When someone says they have two pairs of jeans, I wonder "what, do you walk around with no pants on the other five days of the week?" lol

These ordinary Wranglers are really high in the back, and only about 2" from my belly button in the front. Any higher, and I'd look like a large, white Urkel.:D

thomasbonilsson

New in Town
thank you thank you

Thanks for many helpful tips. After months of consideration I have now ordered a pair of wrangler 936. I choose the slimmer version since being, well, quite slim. I have also found an amazing shirt from 47 that think will be just perfect with the jeans. Now I am just hoping that it will look on my like it does in my head.

thomasbonilsson

New in Town
shoes.

while at it, what kind of shoes do you wear with your jeans.

I usually wear black shoes with jeans. I have a few early 50's that look quite nice with jeans.

Jay

Practically Family
Oh yeah I forgot to add to this. I got the 1955 Levi 501s for Christmas and I love them. The fit is great, the watch pocket is big enough to actually use and they can practically stand up by themselves. They're cut great too.

On a side not I agree with whoever said H&M has a nice choice of jeans. They're unwashed straight leg and look a lot like my pair of 501s. And I also found a pair (unwashed) that look a lot like the Navy Dungarees people talk about. Only found one pair of those though, and not in my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy