Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeff Goldblum

imoldfashioned said:
I can't think who his competition would be, he's so quirky. Usually cast as the ascerbic but good hearted greek chorus figure isn't he?
Alternative to him and Ramis, if a much older actor: Christopher Lloyd, maybe? (Who could ever forget Dr. Emmett Brown? "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious..."lol)

Although Goldblum's lines from the jeep chase in JP and the spacecraft chase in Independence Day were instant-classics, too: "Must go faster... must go faster..." Same basic line, both places--wonder if Levinson wasn't a deliberate riff on the Dr. Malcolm theme there?

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Okay, I'm a very big Harold Ramis fan (acting, directing, and writing) but I can't see him being an alternative to Jeff Goldblum. I could see him playing characters in the same position as some of Goldblum's characters... but it wouldn't be the same character. Doesn't much look the same, rather squat compared to The Tall Guy. Man this is an old thread, I remember when it had just been posted, remember MK's scenario like I read it yesterday. Reminds me of how old this place really is... it's gonna be around forever.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
MK said:
Adam, Chamarro and I were waiting in line to get a table of lunch yesterday and Jeff Goldblum was in line behind me. The guy is very tall and in great shape for a man who is fifty (I would be too if I was paid to work out all day with a personal trainer).

I have not seen him in a movie in a long time. The last thing I recall was Jurasstic Park. I am surprised since he is an interesting actor. Can you name anyone who is like him? I can't. He is a good looking, yet quirky guy. If you were thinking of casting him, who would be his competition?

I think I can. He's not an actor exactly, but Anthony Bourdain reminds me alot of Jeff Goldblum, or vice versa.

Starius

Practically Family
Nashoba said:
I thought he was fantastic in the tv shor Raines. I was not happy when they cancelled it after only 6 episodes. Grrrr....

I liked Raines a lot too, I wish it could have run the full season at the very least.

I will also admit that I love his movie Vibes that he did with Cyndi Lauper and Peter Falk.

I've been told that my voice sounds like Jeff Goldblum before, but I never thought so. His vocals are very distinct.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Starius said:
I liked Raines a lot too, I wish it could have run the full season at the very least.

Yeah, I was actually pretty angry, which isn't normal for me, I could honestly care less about most television shows. But this one I really liked. I actually downloaded all of the episodes from itunes. So at least I can be a pathetic fangirl and watch the episodes as much as I want...I need to do that with Battlestar Gallactica now....someone I know inadvertantly got me hooked on that show...

Novella

Practically Family
Nashoba said:
Yeah, I was actually pretty angry, which isn't normal for me, I could honestly care less about most television shows. But this one I really liked. I actually downloaded all of the episodes from itunes. So at least I can be a pathetic fangirl and watch the episodes as much as I want...

I was annoyed when I heard about the cancellation, especially since there were so few episodes put out. It was such an original show, and Jeff Goldblum was perfectly cast. I downloaded the episodes off iTunes too, so I guess that also makes me a pathetic fangirl! Hooray for pathetic fangirls, we have to keep the spirit alive that was crushed by the network. lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I loved Goldblum in The Fly. I have never laid eyes on Jeff Goldblum. However, I have laid eyes on many flies. I have killed many, too, and never got their autographs.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Novella said:
I was annoyed when I heard about the cancellation, especially since there were so few episodes put out. It was such an original show, and Jeff Goldblum was perfectly cast. I downloaded the episodes off iTunes too, so I guess that also makes me a pathetic fangirl! Hooray for pathetic fangirls, we have to keep the spirit alive that was crushed by the network. lol

Amen darlin' I loved the show...had a noir kind of flavor to it and I agree he was perfectly cast. Stupid network big wig morons...

Rob

Familiar Face
The last film I remember him in was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou... one of my favourite movies of all time. It was only a few years back.

Starius

Practically Family
Rob said:
The last film I remember him in was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou... one of my favourite movies of all time. It was only a few years back.

I forgot he was in that, and I even have the DVD.

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
MK said:
I don't bother actors. What am I going to say beyond "I have enjoyed some of your work"? The only reason I spoke to him was, he spoke to me first. He just asked asked me if this was the line to get a table.

There is this unsual phenomenon that people feel like they know actors because they watch them in their homes. They walk up and start talking to them because television creates the psychological illusion that we know them. It can be really wierd to be on the receiving end of that.......especially if you are just trying to go out to dinner. If you are a really famous celebrity it is almost impossible to go out anywhere without being badgered.

Being famous is not bad. Tom Clancy is very famous, but he could be setting at the table next to me and I would never know it. I would never want to be a celebrity. I enjoy going about without everbody saying/thinking "THERE HE IS!" The price is too high.

So that long winded explanation is why I don't bother celebrities.

I listenend to an inteview with Harry Connick Jr a while back. The interviewer asked him if he is bothered by all the attention he gets when he is out in public. Refreshingly enough, he said he loves the attention. He explained that as a kid you admire actors and singers becuase of thier fame, and he cherishes it now. Time permitting, he will indulge any fan that wishes to talk to him, or get an autograph. He said he owes it to the fans. If he does not want to be bothered, then he does not go out in public that day.

I completely understand the illusion, but it is nice to hear that some people have such an open minded attitude.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Same is true of Jay Leno, which is why he goes out to as many car shows as he does in a year. And as I menteioned in another thread, I've met him five times and he's always very friendly; he loves cars, car shows, his fellow car enthusiasts and his fans. He's more than happy to stop for a conversation or to give an autograph, and if you're bold enough to ask, and he happens to have the time, you just may get a tour of his shop. My brother asked, and he gave us one. Personally.

On the other hand, years ago a friend went to a movie premiere (he'd done some of the lighting on the movie) and while standing outside watching people mob the stars, he noticed a very small woman standing next to him. Then he recognized her and asked, "Aren't you Wynona Ryder?" Many in the crowd turned and mobbed her, and she gave my friend a disappointed look that said, I wish you hadn't asked. She was hoping she wouldn't be seen.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn