Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeff Goldblum

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Adam, Chamarro and I were waiting in line to get a table of lunch yesterday and Jeff Goldblum was in line behind me. The guy is very tall and in great shape for a man who is fifty (I would be too if I was paid to work out all day with a personal trainer).

I have not seen him in a movie in a long time. The last thing I recall was Jurasstic Park. I am surprised since he is an interesting actor. Can you name anyone who is like him? I can't. He is a good looking, yet quirky guy. If you were thinking of casting him, who would be his competition?

Ken

A-List Customer
Was he in Independence Day and was that before or after JP? My memory fails me in the ravages of time...

Ken

Minnesota_Jones

Familiar Face
Only other "quirky" guy I can think of is Tim Burton's favorite actor....

Johnny Depp

I never liked him in his 21 Jumpstreet years. But Tim Burton turned him into an Icon....

Edward Sissorhands
Ed Wood
Sleepy Hollow

And also potentially..... Willy Wonka? :cool:

Imahomer

Practically Family
As long as we are talking movies that he was in.... How about the fly? Although the original was a classic, the remake with Jeff was unreal. A real leap and very "out there". I still can't just watch it without turning away a couple of times.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Originally posted by MK
Adam, Chamarro and I were waiting in line to get a table of lunch yesterday and Jeff Goldblum was in line behind me. The guy is very tall and in great shape for a man who is fifty (I would be too if I was paid to work out all day with a personal trainer).

I have not seen him in a movie in a long time. The last thing I recall was Jurasstic Park. I am surprised since he is an interesting actor. Can you name anyone who is like him? I can't. He is a good looking, yet quirky guy. If you were thinking of casting him, who would be his competition?
Did you get to talk to him? He was on a Friends episode this week. He looks great for his age...I had no clue he was 50! I have always thought of him as a cross between Chevy Chase and Harrison Ford and enjoy seeing him on the screen...His mouth and some of his expressions remind me of Ford, but he sounds like Chevy Chase (voice) and has a similar goofiness about him that makes me just laugh.

Fedora

Vendor
You guys didn't talk to him? I have always admired his portrayals. He seems to be an excellent actor, and always wired up. Fedora

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I don't bother actors. What am I going to say beyond "I have enjoyed some of your work"? The only reason I spoke to him was, he spoke to me first. He just asked asked me if this was the line to get a table.

There is this unsual phenomenon that people feel like they know actors because they watch them in their homes. They walk up and start talking to them because television creates the psychological illusion that we know them. It can be really wierd to be on the receiving end of that.......especially if you are just trying to go out to dinner. If you are a really famous celebrity it is almost impossible to go out anywhere without being badgered.

Being famous is not bad. Tom Clancy is very famous, but he could be setting at the table next to me and I would never know it. I would never want to be a celebrity. I enjoy going about without everbody saying/thinking "THERE HE IS!" The price is too high.

So that long winded explanation is why I don't bother celebrities.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Good explanation MK. I used to see a lot of celebrities at a certain hotel restaurant I often ate at. I was tempted several times when some of my favorites were there to ask for an autograph or engage them in conversation. However, I know how it is when you are trying to eat and people ask you questions or engage you in trivial conversations. So, I've always refrained.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I agree. The most precious commodity for a celebrity must be privacy. I was headed to Honlulu to do some work, got upgraded to First Class, and sat in the middle of the cast for "Lost". My seatmate was one of the guest stars, and was busy reading his script. Folks kept coming up and engaging him in conversation. I was getting annoyed since they were leaning over me to get his autorgraph.

I try to think about how I would fee in a similar situation; I'd like to be treated with the same respect as any other typical person. I also follow the philosophy that I will leave the person alone unless they speak with me first.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I had a brief conversation with Jason Seahorn who was seated across the aisle in 1st Class with his wife Angie Harmon on a flight from DFW to BWI. He initiated the conversation. Nothing major, just a casual chat about crowded flights. Nice guy.

Those who fly a lot tend to meet some impressive people from time to time. I once was seated next to Stephen Pyles and we chatted about the new restaurant he was about to open in Dallas.

It's never occured to me to ask for an autograph. It just seems too intrusive to me.

However, if Evangeline Lilly wanted to give me an autographed photo, I would be compelled to accept. [huh]

:D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Jeff Goldblum always sort of irritated me until I saw him in The Tall Guy. He won my eternal love in that movie, which is one I quote endlessly ("Do you know many women called Tampon?"). That movie contains the best response to the "she meant nothing to me!" line after Goldblum's character admits to having an affair; "Yes, well while at the time I meant nothing to you as well, and I'm worth more than nothing, aren't I?". Early Emma Thompson, Rowan Atkinson, Richard Curtis, a hysterical take off on modern musicals ("Somewhere/Up in Heaven/There's an Angel with Big Ears!")--it's just so good.

I can't think who his competition would be, he's so quirky. Usually cast as the ascerbic but good hearted greek chorus figure isn't he?

As far as celebrities go, I wouldn't bother them if I saw them in public either. I did "stand by the stage door" once, but I felt like that was sort of an expected zone for speaking to a celebrity and I was as quick and polite as I could be. I would never interrupt someone at a restaurant or while reading--I think that's just rude.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Some well known people are happy to talk to admirers. Others will completely ignore you. You can never tell what kind of "real" person they are by watching them in a movie. After all, they are "actors" and "actresses".

dostacos

Practically Family
MK said:

Harold Ramis, but he is doing more directing and less acting.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I keep thinking of John Turturo who also has a very quirky style. But they're not quirky in the same way. They just seem to be quirkily similar. :eusa_doh:

I could see Jeff Goldblum in the Turturo role in Miller's Crossing but I couldn't see John Turturo in the Goldblum role in Silverado. (Not a very good example since one is a gangster/crime film and the other is a western. [huh] )

However, there probably are at least two roles where the switch would work. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24