Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jericho

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
"After a nuclear disaster caused by several terrorist attacks destroys most of America, residents of a small Kansas town must come to terms with a new and very different reality."

Is anyone watching this TV show? I thought it was quite interesting that they decided to broadcast for the first time in several countries more or less simultaneously.

With the risks involved with such a gimmick I expect it to be at least reasonably good or they probably wouldn't have tried such a thing.

I’m not overly impressed with it so far, but it does have potential to be more than just okay. I am looking at it through a Sci-Fi fan’s eyes however and would be hoping for more Mad Max and less Small-Town Soap, which can’t really be sold to everyone.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I am watching the show and have been very impressed with it so far. I think it is interesting particularly after 9/11. I particularly like actor who plays the mayor who was amazing on Deadwood.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Matthew Dalton said:
"After a nuclear disaster caused by several terrorist attacks destroys most of America, residents of a small Kansas town must come to terms with a new and very different reality."

Is anyone watching... I am looking at it through a Sci-Fi fan’s eyes however and would be hoping for more Mad Max and less Small-Town Soap, which can’t really be sold to everyone.

i am and really enjoying it. i particularly like post-apolcalyse stories, but not necessarily in the mad max shoot'em-up vein. we have enough of that on t.v. as it is i think. but rather just how does a society, even a small one, survive and perhaps build a better society. that was my hope for Lost, but it turned into another violence-driven show.

"Alas, Babylon" comes to mind re: good survial stories.

The lead for Jericho is rather an odd-looking duck with big teeth that i find quite distracting. :)

rsg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kind of arrogant (and typical) for the writers to assume that "some major cities knocked out" = "destroys most of America". :rolleyes:

They're in Kansas for goodness sake. They may or may not have some serious, very short term, problems from fallout but as far as "survival" goes it doesn't get much better. Set up a still for fuel and they'll even have electricity for basic services. Fort up and centralize their supplies and send out scouting parties to salvage what is on the highways and greater locale.

Someone in the town has read about this very kind of thing (Alas Babylon, Dies the Fire, et al), the library has books on how to build almost any device you'd need and most non-urbanites actually have practical skillsets. It's generally accepted both in fiction and in civil defense planning that the biggest "post-apocalyptic" problem will be all the useless mouths streaming out of the unliveable urban centers like locusts, their wholesale deaths setting off waves of plague.

Rural areas will have a reasonable chance of survival if they have decent leadership.

I'm starting a new thread.....

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
I am happy to help. I read more book reviews than I do books!

Me too.

There's a movie about young preppy collegiates I can't remember the name of ( late 80's arty film). One of the characters is an arrogant young man who, at one point, declares he "doesn't read books, he only reads book reviews".

Found it - Metropolitan http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100142/

I might point out that Cormac McCarthy tends toward the brutal depiction of bloody violence. if you are faint of heart or delicate you may want to tread carefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran