Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JerseyJones/Camptown

newhatguy

New in Town
Is this vender still selling hats?

Tried to PM...his box is full...could be a good sign or badsign!

Any feedback from those who have purchased?

newhatguy

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
Camptown hat

I own the Camptown model 1936 number three hat. It is a very well constructed, classic, no taper, tall crown fedora. The beaver blend body is sturdy but not stiff and all the details like sweatband and liner are beautiful.

I am not shilling for this hat, but trying to give an honest review. My home is Texas and I have not worn the hat much this summer due to the blistering hot weather, but it will be a regular in my hat rotation when the weather cools.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask either here or in a PM.

newhatguy

New in Town
Open blocked crown vs pre-blocked crown?

How easy is it for someone(ME) with no hat experience to shape and style a hat that comes open crown? Wouldn't want to "mess-up" my first and only hat.

Can I get one pre-blocked to my specs? Or would I have to send it off to be blocked? What are the typical charges for that(ready to wear and sending off)?

Thanks again for answering my HAT 101 type questions.

newhatguy

JerseyJones

Vendor
newhatguy said:
Is this vender still selling hats?

Tried to PM...his box is full...could be a good sign or badsign!

Any feedback from those who have purchased?

newhatguy

I am here and yes I am still selling hats. I DID need to clean out the ol inbox ! :hamburger (Sorry Mods)

Thanks to Dave for the shining review. I would be happy to set you up with a lid. Drop me a PM and we'll talk. Thanks for your interest ! :cool2:

Ken

Feraud

Bartender
newhatguy said:
How easy is it for someone(ME) with no hat experience to shape and style a hat that comes open crown? Wouldn't want to "mess-up" my first and only hat.
newhatguy
I felt the same way about "messing up" a hat I spent good money on. Do not fear, an open crowned hat is very easy to bash. I did it myself with excellent results.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
No big deal.

This is how I do it, I soak the crown in warm water to about an inch from the ribbon. I shape the crown to the desired (teardrop) shape, trying it on several times until I get the right result and let dry upsidedown overnight. Next morning, viola, a nicley shaped and creased crown. I've tried steam, takes too long and it burns my fingers. Water will not hurt a fine felt hat. Your milage may vary...

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
hat creasing

I don't think you could "mess up" a quality hat simply by creasing/bashing it yourself. I have freshened up, changed, adjusted, then put back into original shape any number of good felt hats using the steam-from-a-teakettle method.

The advice to watch your fingers when steaming a hat is to be carefully noted! Steam burns are wicked, indeed, and don't ask me how I know :)

I have never tried the immersion technique, but it might be an excellent alternative. The advantage with steam is that you can wear the hat as soon as it cools; a matter of minutes.

JerseyJones

Vendor
I use a standup commercial steamer to do my hats and a small wand steamer for details. I am a believer in GENTLY dry shaping your hat and then steaming it up to set the details in. My customers haven't complained about it yet ! ;)

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic