Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFK's Cavanagh

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Photos of JFK in a fedora?

I know there are some about, and I ask since JFK was the last president to wear a fedora while in office (LBJ wore Stetson Cowboy Hats and Nixon wore fedoras prior to becoming president). Could anyone post any pix of JFK wearing a fedora?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's one...

aa8ef5b6.jpg

-dixon cannon

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Because he was bare-headed at his inauguration, JFK is often blamed for the demise of brimmed hats, but his role was minimal if not completely inconsequencial: Such hats were already on the downswing, and not long thereafter longer hair styles and a burgeoning subculture that wanted a break with tradition were the primary factors.

A bit of trivia: Jack was actually wearing a felt fedora that cold January day, but at the last minute, decided to take it off. People have speculated the reason--out of respect for the office, to signal a change, thought he'd look better on TV without it, etc.--but no one really knows the reason why.

Sorry I don't have pics or a link, but photos of the President-elect very shortly before his swearing-in and speech document that JFK was, in fact, wearing a hat similar to one he has on in Dixon Cannon's post.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I found one of him from December 2nd, 1960, on the way to Georgetown hospital to see Jackie and Jack, Jr (or so the caption says):

U1257966.jpg

Plus this from Opening day, March or April 1961:
LF_leifer_neil_modern_john_f_kennedy_and_lyndon_johnson_at_opening_day_1268072_11x14_1961_L.jpg

And these with Ike, April 1961:
1961-JohnKennedyEisenhower.jpg

KNC1759822APR1961.jpg

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Kennedy meeting with President Sukarno, April 1961. Apparently he wasn't pressured into wearing this fedora and just wore it casually, easily. Note fedora in hand. I've read other photos exist from the meeting with it on his head.
4698819090_43f64c9300_b.jpg

Also, Kennedy meeting with Khrushchev, hat held in hand, June 1961:
4698823018_059ff68941.jpg

It seems even though the myth continues that JFK killed the fedora, he was actually not too much against wearing one and was the last president to uphold the tradition. Really President Nixon could be blamed since he was the first president not to wear hat while in office.

Canadave

One Too Many
While watching "The Kennedy Detail", a documentary that involved a reunion of the secret service agents on JFK's final detail, Toby Chandler, one of the agents says that on their first trip to NYC with Kennedy, he went to "his hat shop" and bought a Cavanagh, because it was "his preferred brand". He (Chandler) was wearing the fedora in the scene describing that trip. "When the president wore a hat, America wore a hat. When he finally took his off, the hats went away".

(Sorry if this was posted already. I searched, but could not find.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, of course the whole issue of "Kenndy killed hat wearing" has been debated and discussed to death and beyond here. But the whole business of JFK being a Cavanagh wearer is intriguing to me. I'd love to see more pics of him in his Cavanagh.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The old story, oft retold, and included in Hatless Jack, mentions Salesky giving JFK a Cavanagh, but this is the first I've heard that he was a regular wearer of Cavanaghs. I wonder if it's safe to assume they meant the Park Avenue shop?

Brad

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
He (Chandler) was wearing the fedora in the scene describing that trip. "When the president wore a hat, America wore a hat. When he finally took his off, the hats went away".

This is one guy, yes, a SS agent close to JFK, but just because he said it doesnt necessarily make it so, although it probably didnt help.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Interesting that this came up today. While watching Bloomberg last hour the correspondent made mention to how Kennedy killed the hat in America. Made me groan and shake my head

Canadave

One Too Many
This is one guy, yes, a SS agent close to JFK, but just because he said it doesnt necessarily make it so, although it probably didnt help.

You're right, and I posted it just to show what the guy said in the documentary, not as proof of any one theory. I thought the whole story was cool, and posted it for interest's sake, not as an accurate historical analysis.

(Upon re-reading my original post, I realize it may not be clear that it is Chandler who went to "his", meaning JFK's, hat shop to buy the Cavanagh. Chandler was wearing that Cavanagh in the scene when he describes the trip.)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
This whole -JFK-Killed-Hats theme is simply a result of our useless, lazy media. Someone says something that sounds interesting a "cold be" right, and then like empty headed little automatons, all the rest take up the meme and add it to their stories. This is why we call what journalists do "stories" because they are almost NEVER filled with actual facts.

Sadly, our "historians" have fallen into the same lazy track in all too many cases.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
You're right, and I posted it just to show what the guy said in the documentary, not as proof of any one theory. I thought the whole story was cool, and posted it for interest's sake, not as an accurate historical analysis.

(Upon re-reading my original post, I realize it may not be clear that it is Chandler who went to "his", meaning JFK's, hat shop to buy the Cavanagh. Chandler was wearing that Cavanagh in the scene when he describes the trip.)

Actually, I wasnt looking to disagree with you. Mine was an aside to describe, more or less, the idea that stories, although repeated ad nauseum, are not always necessarily true.

And yes, it is interesting that one of the SS agents on JFK's detail was holding one of his hats, if I read that correctly.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Good lord, it was't until scottyrocks' post that I realised what you were meaning with "SS". A different group comes to mind here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk