Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL custom m200

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ alright, can't wait to see your finished piece. That lighter cxl will be interesting to see. The 3.5oz brown cxl I have is not bad to wear and is breaking in nicely, no stiffness/bruises so far. I've been wearing it at night to sleep with no problem at all lol

Goel

A-List Customer
I tossed my CXL jacket in the dryer with some wool balls to soften it up some. Still not as soft as the cowhide they have but noticeably better (and grainier).

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
^^ alright, can't wait to see your finished piece. That lighter cxl will be interesting to see. The 3.5oz brown cxl I have is not bad to wear and is breaking in nicely, no stiffness/bruises so far. I've been wearing it at night to sleep with no problem at all lol

Lol, nice, that's dedication, I think my wife will kick me out of bed if I wear a leather jacket to bed. Is it odd to say that I'm excited but not looking forward to wearing it? Lol, I'm sure it'll be alright, but I'm typically a very practical dresser and definitely dress for comfort, so this is going to be fun. I already know that I'm going to have to wear it pretty much all day while working from home to hopefully break it in, even considering wearing it while I work out, lol.

Yeah when I went in there today, I had to put blinders on, eye on the prize, stuck to the black overdye CXL, didn't even look at any other samples. Because of the simple, minimalist nature of this jacket, I really wanted a special (to me) leather to set it apart from all the other jackets of the world, and I've always been a fan of Horween's stuff, just love the smell of it.

TBH I was considering to just keep the thickness, I mean in for an inch, in for a mile right? But came back to my senses when I saw the other jackets being made. They had a sweet Shell Cordovan jacket they just finished that just looked incredible. Honestly, if I was more fashionable, I would love a jacket in that, or maybe a nice riding jacket (if I rode a bike, lol) since it would be more visible... I see now why you guys have multiple jackets, lol.

I always grimace when someone throws a leather jacket in the dryer with 'heat'. Hopefully if it shrinks it will do so evenly. I've told this story before, but here it is again: I was on a 400 mile MC ride with twelve others several years ago. We got caught in a downpour about half way through, then after about 20 miles the hot sun came out. At the end of the ride stopping for a few longnecks I noticed some shrinkage. Sadly the right sleeve was now over an inch shorter that the left.

Good news is I sold it to a guy I rode with who's right arm was approx. one inch shorter than his left. Seriously..!! He loved it..!!
HD

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I tossed my CXL jacket in the dryer with some wool balls to soften it up some. Still not as soft as the cowhide they have but noticeably better (and grainier).

Yeah I read people doing that with tennis balls and such. I decided that I'm going to stay the course and accept that it's going to suck right up until it becomes great, and I want the character to be all me... although I wonder if it'll build character creases from my muffin top when I sit... that wouldn't be flattering having an outline of my belly, lol. If I wanted a comfortable jacket and demonstrate intelligence, I would've gone with the german stuff they got in, but this is my masochist jacket because CXL is life.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I always grimace when someone throws a leather jacket in the dryer with 'heat'. Hopefully if it shrinks it will do so evenly. I've told this story before, but here it is again: I was on a 400 mile MC ride with twelve others several years ago. We got caught in a downpour about half way through, then after about 20 miles the hot sun came out. At the end of the ride stopping for a few longnecks I noticed some shrinkage. Sadly the right sleeve was now over an inch shorter that the left.

Good news is I sold it to a guy I rode with who's right arm was approx. one inch shorter than his left. Seriously..!! He loved it..!!
HD

You should've bought a lottery ticket that day, I mean what are the odds!

Goel

A-List Customer
Oh I didn't use heat, just tumbled it. It's definitely helped some, though I don't know how soft one can expect CXL to get. I would like to see how a seriously broken in CXL jacket would feel and look.

Here's one I've posted before although it could be CXL steerhide.......

img_1281.jpg img_1280.jpg

Psant25

One Too Many
Wooo, looking good, remind me again the details of this jacket.
It is not a m200 lol i changed my mind but kept rolling on this thread.

mc500 size 42
Brown cxl hh
Antique brass 10 main and paperclip pulls
Black heavy nylon lining
Narrowed sleeves by 1.5 in
Narrowed neck by 3/4
Narrowed arm hole by 3/4
Narrowed shoulders by 1.5 so 19
Added length so 24.5 back
Slight curve bottom back panel
Stock sleeve length
No zips on front pockets
No badge holder
Yes hidden collar snaps
Left inside pocket
Also dropped the back yoke by 1 inch

i think that is it. Mainly modernized the fit trimming it up and adding length.

Last edited:

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Noice man! I might've seen it yesterday when I was there...

Damn man, you must not skip doing pullups, that's V-ed out like crazy!

OP might as well make this the JL thread lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner