Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL custom m200

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
@TheDonEffect , that's a really great write up that deserves a thread of its own but yeah, absolutely agreed on all points. JL makes a great, sturdy, tough & beautiful jacket in every regard, all the while being capable of miracles. Fantastic customer service, too. You can't go wrong with them.

Thank you. Again OP, sorry for hijacking.

Monitor, I think when my second jacket is done whenever that is, I may start a thread.

Psant25

One Too Many
Well I decided to get another mc500 (chp) with a few fit tweaks instead of getting a m200. The m200 was basically going that direction anyway. My black mc500 is specd great for the bike short length, large arm hole, wider shoulder. This will be more casual. They are sending a fitting in about a week. I am making the arm hole and neck opening a little smaller (@navetsea), narrower shoulder, adding some length, curved dipped back panel instead of flat, drop the back yoke 1 inch. I will then probably update my dedicated mc500 thread. I am also now considering dark brown bison. I have seen some himel jackets recently in bison on IG and i really dig the grain and the soft hand no break in. still have cxl or the naked cow on my mind too

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
JL's naked cow 3oz that I got on that jacket is super soft and pliable, like a thicker lamb skin and it has a great hand feel. My only regret was that I should've went with a thinner hide, but seems like people here love the thick stuff. Also, it's not an interesting leather per se, like there's no pull up, teacore, distinct smell, some guy on youtube romanticizing the leather, it does have nice graining, has a nice luster that to my eye looks quality. And itll probably save you a few bucks too lol.

My next one though I am going horween cxl, mostly for the aging aspect, I'm a patina whore, but honestly it'll probably be my last. I am not looking forward to breaking it in which is a bit of a kill joy when you first put it on. Instead of a nice hug you get a this is what you signed up for.

Psant25

One Too Many
Here is a type iii they did two tone 4 oz:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwW6mh6HMFI/?igshid=fmk2vstuunpc

2DB6964F-7717-4B84-ADC0-4942CB992C54.png

Psant25

One Too Many
Just received information update that my fit jacket is ready, will go to SF maybe tomorrow to try it out.
Damon just said mine was almost ready. Man i wish i could just go there. All these measurements are driving me nuts. I did not take into account the unfinished hem in the front on fit jacket being longer by like 1/2 inch. Specified the length plus 1/2 inch for my current mc500 and still came out shorter than fit. Luckily it works on the bike needs to be short, but not so well with work khakis low rise...cannot win em all.

Gonna be adding more length but then do I base it off incoming fit jacket or current leather finished mc500. Maybe i need to only order stock jackets i cant modify lol oh well gives me something to do

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Damon just said mine was almost ready. Man i wish i could just go there. All these measurements are driving me nuts. I did not take into account the unfinished hem in the front on fit jacket being longer by like 1/2 inch. Specified the length plus 1/2 inch for my current mc500 and still came out shorter than fit. Luckily it works on the bike needs to be short, but not so well with work khakis low rise...cannot win em all.

Gonna be adding more length but then do I base it off incoming fit jacket or current leather finished mc500. Maybe i need to only order stock jackets i cant modify lol oh well gives me something to do

Alright you're coming close to the production as well! Hmm oh boy that's quite a dilemma but maybe why not give the actual desired measurement and inform Damon that it needs to be at that number so there is less confusion?

Psant25

One Too Many
Alright you're coming close to the production as well! Hmm oh boy that's quite a dilemma but maybe why not give the actual desired measurement and inform Damon that it needs to be at that number so there is less confusion?
I think you are right I just worry everyone measures a little different. I am sure it will all work out and they always take good care of me.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I would do the style that some members here use, to indicate on the photo where you started measurement and where you want it to end and be more specific. Mr P gave a detailed measurement instruction example on the 5 star thread recently and that's what tony used as well and it seemed to work out for them.

Psant25

One Too Many
I would do the style that some members here use, to indicate on the photo where you started measurement and where you want it to end and be more specific. Mr P gave a detailed measurement instruction example on the 5 star thread recently and that's what tony used as well and it seemed to work out for them.
That is a good idea thanks

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Lol I may run into some of you tomorrow, I'm trying to get in there for my jacket. But my fit jacket won't be for a minute.

roadking04

Practically Family
Luckily it works on the bike needs to be short, but not so well with work khakis low rise...cannot win em all.

I am running into this issue. A bike jacket needs to be shorter in the front. If it is too long, you get a "bubble" in your chest area and the jacket wants to push up. Off the bike, and the jacket barely comes to the top of your belt. Almost feels like a belly shirt when off the bike, but when riding the jacket is perfect. It seems to be one or the other.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ so do riders bring 2 jackets on a ride then? 1 for riding and 1 off?

Would an in between front length with a 2 way zip help with the "bubble"?

Peacoat

Bartender

No, we only use one jacket. Yes, the 2 way zip might help with the bubble. But my jackets are well fitted, and I really don't have that problem.

roadking04

Practically Family

Most riders I know wear ill fitting cheapos. lol. I had a discussion with Langlitz about this years ago. They said the front of the jacket is too long if it creates a "bubble" when riding. They said a well fitting MC jacket should sit at the TOP of your belt line and NOT COVER your belt. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Langlitz told me their jackets are made to fit ON a bike unless specified otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points