Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL custom m200

Psant25

One Too Many
The new HH is definitely interesting, I'll wait a few months to see how they (JL staff) like it and how it develops with wear but it's very nice to the touch and easy to wear but still substantial. Also wanting to see how the Horween Milan looks like in person.

Good luck, hope it fits. My brown cxl jacket should be made by then. it has a CHP Frankenstein vibe to it, so hope it helps you decide what color to get.
Can’t wait to see it

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ yes, another one on the way from the folks at Horween. Middle weight vegetable tanned is all I know about it, we have members here who have it through Simmons bilt.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone have a strong opinion on if my upcoming chp should only be black? I am not sure now I wanna go brown. Not a lot of brown chp jackets not sure if that is good or bad. Kinda wanna try something new like brown bison, but not sure I wanna do that on a chp. I have two black leather jackets right now and no brown jackets. Lotta brown boots but i kinda like brown boots black jacket.
I think that is a great idea. I remember someone had a brown CXL Aero CHP in the classifieds a while back and it was absolutely gorgeous. I might have to do this myself someday since the straight zip CHP is my favorite style and I already have black covered.

Psant25

One Too Many
I saw a SB made in brown cxl bison on here somewhere. That may be the ticket if that is a regular offering in 3.5 oz -ish weight. Would provide some protection from the elements compared to naked bison. Or jus get the stock brown cxl and have my jacket in hand in 1-2 weeks. I am not very patient.

@Jin431 did they get the 3.5 oz overdye cxl hh yet?

Goel

A-List Customer
The horween bison that JL has was 4oz from what they told me, but they could skive it down. There is another tannery with a finished 3.25-3.5oz bison in a variety of colors that JL can use... I should have the samples soon.

Last edited:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I saw a SB made in brown cxl bison on here somewhere. That may be the ticket if that is a regular offering in 3.5 oz -ish weight. Would provide some protection from the elements compared to naked bison. Or jus get the stock brown cxl and have my jacket in hand in 1-2 weeks. I am not very patient.

@Jin431 did they get the 3.5 oz overdye cxl hh yet?

Yes, you bet the black overdye is available at hand for use!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I didn't ask to see the hide as I've tried on a couple jackets made from it. Its substantial, Damon said it's a little heavier than same weight CXL because of the overdye. It will definitely be rough wearing to start with as it's stiff like with regular CXL but it's going to be great after a break in and the browns start to peak through the top coat (I was showed a jacket with little wear, nowhere near being broken in but some browns showing which looked great). You ride so that will be easier for you to break this in but it's really dull up close and personal.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Anyone have a strong opinion on if my upcoming chp should only be black? I am not sure now I wanna go brown. Not a lot of brown chp jackets not sure if that is good or bad. Kinda wanna try something new like brown bison, but not sure I wanna do that on a chp. I have two black leather jackets right now and no brown jackets. Lotta brown boots but i kinda like brown boots black jacket.

Here's my old Cal in brown with different lighting:
IMG_3594.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG

At some point in it's previous life the belt loops were removed and the patch added over the badge holder, but I still dig it. I tend to wear more earth tones (and brown boots) so the brown works well for me, but of course that's just personal preference.

Last edited:
Here's my old Cal in brown with different lightning:
View attachment 276595 View attachment 276594

At some point in it's previous life the belt loops were removed and the patch added over the badge holder, but I still dig it. I tend to wear more earth tones (and brown boots) so the brown works well for me, but of course that's just personal preference.

I remember this beauty now. Awesome.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
On a different note. Damon showed me a new black vegetable tanned horsehide from Germany and it was nice. I almost ordered that instead lol

I just got back from JL today, took my jacket in to finally get some alterations/changes done. It was cool to see my jacket back there with all the new stuff, really made me appreciate my jacket that much more. All the Horween and other stuff is great, but frankly my "uninteresting" 3+oz naked black leather really just feels great and the design choices I made has really held up.

But dat German leather tho. Jin, man oh man, I almost changed my order too! Such a great leather, has the texture of Horween, but thin, and very very pliable so it doesn't have the cardboard/paper feel that doesn't require much if any break in. I could tell people have been playing with the sample because it now has a ton of character, the graining and such really comes out nice.

I saw Damon's jacket he had made with all the mismatched leftovers, and frankly I loved seeing all the different variations. This leather may not be the best for an OCD person since there is a good amount of variation, but man if you love character and something that is truly unique, this is a great option. It's not teacore or a pull up, but has a little bit of the effect since there are some variations that has hints of brown shining through especially around the wear areas, and I loved the pebbling that develops at the creases.

If I ever get another jacket done, no doubt I'll go this route. I'm glad that this is going to be a stock leather and they plan to make more stuff out of it. It's the sort of leather I'd recommend to anyone who wants their first nice leather jacket and it really updates the look of their product line.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I just got back from JL today, took my jacket in to finally get some alterations/changes done. It was cool to see my jacket back there with all the new stuff, really made me appreciate my jacket that much more. All the Horween and other stuff is great, but frankly my "uninteresting" 3+oz naked black leather really just feels great and the design choices I made has really held up.

But dat German leather tho. Jin, man oh man, I almost changed my order too! Such a great leather, has the texture of Horween, but thin, and very very pliable so it doesn't have the cardboard/paper feel that doesn't require much if any break in. I could tell people have been playing with the sample because it now has a ton of character, the graining and such really comes out nice.

I saw Damon's jacket he had made with all the mismatched leftovers, and frankly I loved seeing all the different variations. This leather may not be the best for an OCD person since there is a good amount of variation, but man if you love character and something that is truly unique, this is a great option. It's not teacore or a pull up, but has a little bit of the effect since there are some variations that has hints of brown shining through especially around the wear areas, and I loved the pebbling that develops at the creases.

If I ever get another jacket done, no doubt I'll go this route. I'm glad that this is going to be a stock leather and they plan to make more stuff out of it. It's the sort of leather I'd recommend to anyone who wants their first nice leather jacket and it really updates the look of their product line.

Man, that's great to know that you rate that hide as well. Now I know I wasn't just imagining how good it was. I think if you want an everyday jacket that is close to the weight/drape of goatskin then this might be the leather to use. I keep on imagining how nice this would be in a trucker or simple straight zip jacket.

Can't wait to see how this leader holds up, and Damon said he will most likely get this horsehide in brown as well so very exciting indeed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy