Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL custom m200

Psant25

One Too Many
I think im gonna add one inch. Dont want too long for this style and wanna hopefully cover both on and off bike. We shall see....

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ goodluck, hope it goes well.

Just got back from JL store. I finalized my order, went with the brown cxl (could've went for burgundy but I'm wanting an aero cordovan cxl or stick with black overdye but I always wanted a brown cxl so there it goes). I should get my order sometime next week

On a different note. Damon showed me a new black vegetable tanned horsehide from Germany and it was nice. I almost ordered that instead lol
They will also offer Horween Milan leather soon.

Psant25

One Too Many
@Jin431 that is quick! I hope after fit jacket they get mine going right away. Was the brown cxl 3.25 or 3.5 oz? I have seen it on their IG both ways damon said thickness varies and it does just wonder how they advertised it. Did that cxl have a soft hand / more tumbled than new stiff cxl ?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
yes it's pretty good after we get the fit jacket. They are also making jackets for a company using the German horsehide so that's probably why they were busy this last few months.

Its the regular brown cxl, he offered to get a tumbled version but I want to try to break in a cxl jacket. I didn't specify the thickness but he did say it varies. Also they can have them skive the leather if I want to have the thickness down to 2.5oz per Damon.

Forgot to mention the bison trucker was so nice, it's so grainy and textured

Psant25

One Too Many
yes it's pretty good after we get the fit jacket. They are also making jackets for a company using the German horsehide so that's probably why they were busy this last few months.

Its the regular brown cxl, he offered to get a tumbled version but I want to try to break in a cxl jacket. I didn't specify the thickness but he did say it varies. Also they can have them skive the leather if I want to have the thickness down to 2.5oz per Damon.

Forgot to mention the bison trucker was so nice, it's so grainy and textured
Like hearing that thanks

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
^^ goodluck, hope it goes well.

Just got back from JL store. I finalized my order, went with the brown cxl (could've went for burgundy but I'm wanting an aero cordovan cxl or stick with black overdye but I always wanted a brown cxl so there it goes). I should get my order sometime next week

On a different note. Damon showed me a new black vegetable tanned horsehide from Germany and it was nice. I almost ordered that instead lol
They will also offer Horween Milan leather soon.

How was the German horsehide compared to CXL? Is it teacore?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
The German horsehide is very easy wearing, I believe is 2.5-3 oz but it is much softer than a new stiff stand on its own cxl 3.25-3.5oz that they offer. I might get that in a trucker for next time. I am not sure if it's dyed through or pigment finished, try reaching out to JL. They would give you the specifics. Do you prefer the teacore effect?

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
The German horsehide is very easy wearing, I believe is 2.5-3 oz but it is much softer than a new stiff stand on its own cxl 3.25-3.5oz that they offer. I might get that in a trucker for next time. I am not sure if it's dyed through or pigment finished, try reaching out to JL. They would give you the specifics. Do you prefer the teacore effect?

Yeah, I like that it fades/creases to brown, makes it look warmer and less ashy. Hmm, I doubt it's teacore though since the horween was pretty much the only teacore option they have.

The specs on that leather otherwise sounds good, I bet it smelled good too being veg and all.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That's true, the teacore effect really is nice like that. I haven't had a jacket made of a leather like that but it's rather nice to look at.

Yep, it did smell good and there something about it that feels special. Ask to wear the sample when you go visit

My best fitting jackets just cover up my belt. Not too long bc it can get uncomfortable on long rides. Long enough for off the bike. I dislike too long when puttering about on foot.

If I go the Langlitz route of it being too short when off the bike then when I reach for my apes the jacket is way too short. All this to say that your bikes set-up (bars and seat) play a factor in how the jacket will fit on the bike too. So I get to a 90% solution for both on & off bike wear, rather than 100% one way or the other. I’m happy.

Psant25

One Too Many
Anyone have a strong opinion on if my upcoming chp should only be black? I am not sure now I wanna go brown. Not a lot of brown chp jackets not sure if that is good or bad. Kinda wanna try something new like brown bison, but not sure I wanna do that on a chp. I have two black leather jackets right now and no brown jackets. Lotta brown boots but i kinda like brown boots black jacket.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I think the dark brown bison will look good and be comfortable for your rides and I'm sure it can take a beating from hard wear and the weather. Also interesting to see how a well worn one would look.

If you go with black, I'm sure it will be mean looking and will look the part for your application. are they about to cut your jacket?

Anyone have a strong opinion on if my upcoming chp should only be black? I am not sure now I wanna go brown. Not a lot of brown chp jackets not sure if that is good or bad. Kinda wanna try something new like brown bison, but not sure I wanna do that on a chp. I have two black leather jackets right now and no brown jackets. Lotta brown boots but i kinda like brown boots black jacket.

I think it would look great in brown, bison or whatever you decide. The ones I have owned and seen in pictures are cool. Not common in this style, a good thing I think. I would go with a darker brown though.

Goel

A-List Customer
Had no idea about the new horsehide, would have tried that had I known. I know they have access to a few kinds of bison... a naked/aniline one and apparently a waxy finished one I'm getting samples for, in addition to Horween bison.

Psant25

One Too Many
I think the dark brown bison will look good and be comfortable for your rides and I'm sure it can take a beating from hard wear and the weather. Also interesting to see how a well worn one would look.

If you go with black, I'm sure it will be mean looking and will look the part for your application. are they about to cut your jacket?
The fit cloth jacket i think is shipping soon

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Had no idea about the new horsehide, would have tried that had I known. I know they have access to a few kinds of bison... a naked/aniline one and apparently a waxy finished one I'm getting samples for, in addition to Horween bison.

The new HH is definitely interesting, I'll wait a few months to see how they (JL staff) like it and how it develops with wear but it's very nice to the touch and easy to wear but still substantial. Also wanting to see how the Horween Milan looks like in person.

The fit cloth jacket i think is shipping soon

Good luck, hope it fits. My brown cxl jacket should be made by then. it has a CHP Frankenstein vibe to it, so hope it helps you decide what color to get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy