Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL custom m200

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Man, that's great to know that you rate that hide as well. Now I know I wasn't just imagining how good it was. I think if you want an everyday jacket that is close to the weight/drape of goatskin then this might be the leather to use. I keep on imagining how nice this would be in a trucker or simple straight zip jacket.

Can't wait to see how this leader holds up, and Damon said he will most likely get this horsehide in brown as well so very exciting indeed

Well, I'm no leather expert by any stretch, but I gotta say from my casual perspective I love it. Frankly, I was mad that they didn't have it when I bought my first jacket, lol. It's a really approachable, comfortable, handsome leather.

I saw on the tag on the sample said ranger, so got me thinking this was the stuff that Simmons uses, and doing some searching it looks like it may be the same but with JL's sheen added. The sheen was a nice touch, it kept drawing comparisons to Shinki because of it.

This would absolutely be the leather I'd recommend to anyone looking for their first, special leather jacket. It meets all the casual onlookers expectations of what a special leather should be. It also has alot of the traits a more discerning leather consumer is looking for. It won't meet the expectations of those who want to make a jacket out of belt leather, or those with collector type tastes, but for a garment you want to treat yourself to this will not disappoint.

I always wanted a jacket made out of Horween leather which is why I'm sticking with it, but I'm realizing that this may be a meet your heroes situation, lol. This German stuff really got me thinking, do I really want a jacket that I have to break in? I mean denim heads always say how comfortable denim gets... and it never really does. I've since moved onto stretch selvedge denim and will never, ever look back.

What really got me too was how much character it had, under certain angles you could see some brown, and the uniqueness of each hide it really is your own thumbprint of a jacket, and the creasing was just beautiful. I can't get over how easy wearing it is right out the gate.

Yeah, a cafe or trucker style jacket would be sweet with this leather. Really, I think a cafe with this leather would be perfect. Given the plain nature of the cafe, I think the variation in this leather would make it very interesting that might get lost with all the stitching and panels of a trucker. It's the sorta jacket that'll look good at dinner with your girlfriend's parents, and on the ground of your girlfriend's bedroom, know what I mean? lol.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Man, that's great to know that you rate that hide as well. Now I know I wasn't just imagining how good it was. I think if you want an everyday jacket that is close to the weight/drape of goatskin then this might be the leather to use. I keep on imagining how nice this would be in a trucker or simple straight zip jacket.

Can't wait to see how this leader holds up, and Damon said he will most likely get this horsehide in brown as well so very exciting indeed

Jin, btw, IIRC, I think Damon said they're planning to make a line of jackets with the new German stuff (they really need to give us a name for this leather so we can stop calling it the German stuff, lol), I'm feeling like they're probably going to a cafe style, might be a good opportunity to get in on it early. Just saying bro, lol.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm no leather expert by any stretch, but I gotta say from my casual perspective I love it. Frankly, I was mad that they didn't have it when I bought my first jacket, lol. It's a really approachable, comfortable, handsome leather.

I saw on the tag on the sample said ranger, so got me thinking this was the stuff that Simmons uses, and doing some searching it looks like it may be the same but with JL's sheen added. The sheen was a nice touch, it kept drawing comparisons to Shinki because of it.

This would absolutely be the leather I'd recommend to anyone looking for their first, special leather jacket. It meets all the casual onlookers expectations of what a special leather should be. It also has alot of the traits a more discerning leather consumer is looking for. It won't meet the expectations of those who want to make a jacket out of belt leather, or those with collector type tastes, but for a garment you want to treat yourself to this will not disappoint.

I always wanted a jacket made out of Horween leather which is why I'm sticking with it, but I'm realizing that this may be a meet your heroes situation, lol. This German stuff really got me thinking, do I really want a jacket that I have to break in? I mean denim heads always say how comfortable denim gets... and it never really does. I've since moved onto stretch selvedge denim and will never, ever look back.

What really got me too was how much character it had, under certain angles you could see some brown, and the uniqueness of each hide it really is your own thumbprint of a jacket, and the creasing was just beautiful. I can't get over how easy wearing it is right out the gate.

Yeah, a cafe or trucker style jacket would be sweet with this leather. Really, I think a cafe with this leather would be perfect. Given the plain nature of the cafe, I think the variation in this leather would make it very interesting that might get lost with all the stitching and panels of a trucker. It's the sorta jacket that'll look good at dinner with your girlfriend's parents, and on the ground of your girlfriend's bedroom, know what I mean? lol.

Definitely the new black leather offering is special especially how easy wearing it will be, since it's dyed through it will be mostly black with some variations so that's also cool for some who is not into the teacore effect.

I hear you about wanting a real Horween CXL, I wanted that too so I went with the brown which I know develops nicely over time. Overdye is good too but I don't want too many black jackets so I did not go through with it.

Jin, btw, IIRC, I think Damon said they're planning to make a line of jackets with the new German stuff (they really need to give us a name for this leather so we can stop calling it the German stuff, lol), I'm feeling like they're probably going to a cafe style, might be a good opportunity to get in on it early. Just saying bro, lol.

Yes, it will be a fine cafe racer leather since it's drapes well, sleek and form fitting. Man, you already know it. Need to save up for this bad boy!

I never knew JL could add a sheen? Does it wear off quickly? does it make the jacket "extra squeaky?" I am very curious about this process and how it might look on an overdye jacket.

I think by request you can do it. I'll be coming back to JL soon to pick up my jacket and will ask around. The half belt jacket was not squeaky at all, it probably won't be an overdye look as the actual hide is dyed black all the way through.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I never knew JL could add a sheen? Does it wear off quickly? does it make the jacket "extra squeaky?" I am very curious about this process and how it might look on an overdye jacket.

The sheen is subtle, and doesn't have a squeaking about it, more of a crispness as it needs to break in still if that makes sense.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ yeah, that overdye would look much nicer with the added sheen on it. The black overdye cross zip from the wjaywt thread is an absolute beast of a jacket.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Man, it looked perfect checking it out in person in the store today. I do like a shiny jacket but I can’t imagine how anything could improve on that leather as it is.

It is an absolutely beautiful leather for sure. The jacket is definitely well built and I'm sure that's good for riders safety. I think it's just a matter of preference. Im sure some would rather prefer the shinier black compared to a flatter black and vice versa.

When you had your zippers replaced, did you bring your own riri zipper? Or did they order it for you?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is an absolutely beautiful leather for sure. The jacket is definitely well built and I'm sure that's good for riders safety. I think it's just a matter of preference. Im sure some would rather prefer the shinier black compared to a flatter black and vice versa.

When you had your zippers replaced, did you bring your own riri zipper? Or did they order it for you?
Jin, I decided to go with a #10 YKK since Alan didn’t have any riri zippers in stock. I have become a bit of a zipper snob since I found this place but most of the garments I have owned in my life have YKK zippers and they have all worked just fine.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Jin, I decided to go with a #10 YKK since Alan didn’t have any riri zippers in stock. I have become a bit of a zipper snob since I found this place but most of the garments I have owned in my life have YKK zippers and they have all worked just fine.

I hear you, the YKK is tried and tested. The #10 single or 2 way zip they offer will do the job especially for heavier hides.

Goel

A-List Customer
I had a riri zip for my jacket and it broke after a few months, had to get a YKK replacement. Should have gone with that in the first place, it always worked fine on my Iron Heart deck jacket.

I'm having a jacket remade recently and now I'm wondering if I should have gone with this new leather instead of the CXL, but it sounds like they don't have brown yet.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ What size was that riri zipper? That sucks, hope I never have to deal with zipper failure.

Alright, good luck with the next project. Just reach out to them, it may take a whi,e but I'm sure they'll source it for you.

Goel

A-List Customer
It was a size 8 riri, and it was on a 3.5 oz cowhide so it wasn't terribly thick leather or anything. The #10 zip is just way better. I would switch to the new leather but I'm pretty sure they've already started the jacket.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^ What size was that riri zipper? That sucks, hope I never have to deal with zipper failure.
If you hang out here long enough, and buy enough jackets, it is almost inevitable that you will experience this sooner or later. It has happened to me three times now, always with jackets that I purchased new from reputable makers. Two of the jackets were heavy horsehide (my CXL Aero Bootlegger and my LW CHP)while the third was a lighter Horsehide (my GW Arcadia). The first two jackets I replaced the zippers with #8 riris and they have been fine ever since. The latest one will be a #10 YKK and I anticipate that it will work flawlessly as well.
I have learned two things from this; the first is that all of the zippers that failed performed poorly from the moment I received the jacket, in retrospect it was something I knew would break sooner or later. The second is that it has cured me of any romantic fascination or interest in using vintage or dead stock zippers. I know they look awesome and really give the jacket that special touch, but I want something that I don’t have to worry about or baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav