Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joan Collins says British women have given up trying to look good.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
Depends where in the US you go, too. For good and for bad. Gotta say the difference between regions always jumps out at me.

This is so true! Living in the DC area my whole life, it always surprises me when I travel. DC is the land of conservative dressing. All my friends who have moved here from elsewhere all lament the lack of fashion here.

Edward

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
You ought to read, if you haven't already, Ariel Levy's writings on "raunch culture" and its real impact on women. Puts a lot of these issues right smack into focus.

Thanks for the tip - I'll check that out.

As far as the whole fashion end of things goes, I think it's perfectly possible to question the overall aesthetic of a style without attacking the person wearing it. To suggest that a baggy sweatshirt hanging over a pair of ill-fitting pants makes the wearer look short and stumpy is simply an empirical observation, without making any sort of moral or emotional judgement against the person wearing it. And, let's be honest, we *all* make those observations, even the most "let's all get along" of us. Anyone who claims not to is, frankly, full of it. The problem is when we start thinking -- and worse, saying out loud -- "that person is beneath me because she's wearing a baggy sweatshirt and poorly fitting jeans." My closest friend is a habitual wearer of baggy sweats and jeans, and I'd choose her company any day in the week over some of the well-groomed, flawlessly-elegant backstabbers I've met in my life.

Of course!

C-dot said:
As for Joan, the retouching and plastic surgery makes her look like an alien. I think there is a fine like between defying age, and waging a holy war on it - and a losing one, at that!

lol Bravo!

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Contradiction?

"If in doubt - overdress"

.........Isn't there a little contradiction between this sentiment and the strictures on Joanie who like most of us is just trying to put her best foot forward?

kyda

One of the Regulars
Re Joan Collins: I was always bought up to believe it does not how much money you have or do not have if your hair is brushed, shoes are polished and your hem line has not become unstitched you can still look good. I have lived below the poverty line and well I still managed to go out dressed like a lady, my clothes may have not been the latest fashion or they may have been from a second hand store but they were always clean and pressed.

I live in Australia and see a great deal of people who have managed to put some sort of clothing on but can't be bothered to brush their hair or even put shoes on, and lets not even discuss the ladies who are on the large side ( I am on the plump side myself) who are squeezed into a outfit that is not their size or the ladies that feel it is a must to have their bra showing.

We have lost the art of dressing and it is a shame, we may lead busy lives but what is wrong with putting out your clothes the night before or heaven forbid we set our alarms and get up that bit earlier and make ourselves presentable.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I wonder what any man aspiring to be a gentleman would find it good manners to criticise any lady on their dress; not least generalise a whole city or nation whether it be the UK, the US or wherever.

I also do not believe that Miss Collins' inelegant comments, can be excused by the caveat that she herself is from Britain.

TessTrueheart

Ethan Bentley said:
I wonder what any man aspiring to be a gentleman would find it good manners to criticise any lady on their dress; not least generalise a whole city or nation whether it be the UK, the US or wherever.

I also do not believe that Miss Collins' inelegant comments, can be excused by the caveat that she herself is from Britain.

:eusa_clap

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Oh lets not do the Atlantic divide thing!
I live in a little market town, very historic quite 'staid' but 13 miles away there's a big city. The fashion there seems to be flashing as much flesh as poss' I find it really sad.
I'm a hefty kinda gal but I dress to accentuate my positives. 50s style dresses etc (big busom, smaller waist, big hips) however, I am also a mother and if I need to nip to the shop in jeans and my converse trainers I will do so!

Needless to say not everyone in New York dresses like Carrie Bradshaw (thank god! Although I love Charlottes style!) and not everyone in London dresses like Eliza Doolittle or the Queen Mum. (although I'd kill for her selection of hats circa 1942)

Love American classic items (like aforementioned Converse! Levi's etc) but love my British influences, well cut suits and heritage fabrics.

peace!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
vintage_jayhawk said:
Absolutely! There's also a certain status quo. If everyone dresses this way (frumpy, jeans, muu muu, whatever) than I should dress this way too. Not the best logic, but I admit, when I go home to the farm, I dress differently than when I'm running around the city. By that logic though, maybe I could get the people around me to start dressing better because I dress better. [huh]
:eek:fftopic: I hate the way designers make clothes to dress our children like mini-adults. As if those looks weren't trashy enough on full-grown women :rage:

I agree with that last part it drives me nuts.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Just what *does* Joan Collins look like without a wig??? She's worn one for years.

crypt.jpg

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Look at those lovely baby blues lol

Does anyone else find Joan to be a teenie-weenie bit eccentric? She always appears as if shes going to a costume gala to me. Is that what she means by "looking good?"

Kitty_Sheridan, how I wish you'd gotten a picture!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
They're terribly funny about taking photos in Harrods, you get knobbled by their security staff if you try.
Although I saw Tony Curtis in there the same day, what a gent. He was posing for photos with fans and I just daren't ask him...:eek:

Yes, crypt keeper was fairly accurate description. Skin like rice paper.....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Regardless of what she looks like or doesn't, I just don't think that she is all that socially relevant to be taking her comments as some sort of gospel.

She is one of those people who is now just famous for being famous and is using that to erm stay in the news. That requires her to say controversial things.

And voila.....here we all are paying attention to her.

bleh..people should look how -they- wish to look. Whether that look is what we personally admire or not, we should have the respect for others to just move along and mind our own persons, rather then minding theirs.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Regardless of what she looks like or doesn't, I just don't think that she is all that socially relevant to be taking her comments as some sort of gospel.

She is one of those people who is now just famous for being famous and is using that to erm stay in the news. That requires her to say controversial things.

And voila.....here we all are paying attention to her.

bleh..people should look how -they- wish to look. Whether that look is what we personally admire or not, we should have the respect for others to just move along and mind our own persons, rather then minding theirs.

Quite true, Miss Neecerie, because let's face it, you can't please everyone (finish the song in your head if you feel the urge). Joan can go seemingly over-the-top with her efforts and get criticized for it; she could slouch around in comfy, casual clothes & take minimal effort with her cosmetic appearance and most definitely get slammed for letting herself go. She could hide away from public view, as certain once-glamorous women have done.
Really, no matter what, if you have (or at least once had) a celebrity that was tied into beauty, your looks will always be fodder for public opinion, and those opinions will vary broadly, despite your best (or worst) efforts.
Even if you're just an every day nobody, the people who encounter you will have their own thoughts on the way you present yourself. Some will think you're lovely and stylish and unique, while others will think you're just weird.
Them's the breaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran