Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Dillinger's Tie

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I want to replica this tie from Public Enemies:

dillinger-tie.jpg

That's the biggest shot I can find with the tie in it. Anyone seen a vintage tie with similar pattern? Or seen any larger images on-line from the film? I want to be sure to have all the best information before doing a run of these, so anything you can find would help!

Thanks,
Magnoli

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Indy,

This is almost certainly a Native American, hand-dyed and hand-loomed wool tie from New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, or a mountain state. "Tewa" was a major brand, but there were plenty of others. They were very popular from the 1930s to the '50s, but continue to be made today.

Note that Depp's tie seems to be teal green, rust, and yellow. These were typical southwestern "natural dye" colors found in Native American neckties.

I'm sure that jamespowers, Feraud, Dinerman, etc. have a few of these.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I received this in an email from Damon from American Vintage. He may be of help to you getting a full, high resolution photo of the tie.

"Here's an interesting vintage tie story from the movie Public Enemies. When they ordered it included only 2 red ties and they asked me to pick out a couple hundred 30s ties with none of them being red. In the last scenes of the movie, Johnny Depp and Christian Bale both wear the two red ties from my site. I believe the entire theater scene with Johnny Depp near the end of the movie has people wearing ties from American Vintage."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
What an amazing thing the Lounge is. This super esoteric fascinating infromation zips around the world in a few seconds. How else would somebody in New Zealand get the spot on accurate scoop on a tie in a movie, so he could go ahead and replicate it?
In the immortal words of Maynard G. Krebs, "What an age we live in, Dobe."

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Indy Magnoli said:
Indeed! I've already exchanged a few e-mails with Damon... hopefully we can track down a photo of this tie.

Thanks,
Indy

I've been wanting this tie since I saw it as well! Please someone find out where such a tie can be had!

Very interesting about possible Native American origins. I'm Zuni myself (New Mexico tribe) and have never heard of tribes weaving ties. Though those colors are very familiar now that you point them out.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I got some HD screen caps which help a bit, but still not enough to replicate the whole tie perfectly, in my opinion. Unfortunately, Damon at American Vintage couldn't help me get a full photo of the tie. He thinks it's on his server somewhere, but he's got thousands of images there and going through them all will take me forever!

I really want to do this tie, but would hate to rush it and get it wrong!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I've reviewed a screener copy of the movie, and it seems Mr. Depp had quite a few different ties throughout, one for each different scene...it's hard to get any decent snaps of that particular one (it seems to be in the beach and Billie arrest scenes only); he's always moving and the frame doesn't always drop enough to see the tie....
vlcsnap-113029.jpg

vlcsnap-111458.jpg

vlcsnap-114159.jpg

PEbd3.jpg

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore