Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp Fedora

tangecon

New in Town
Hi there! I'm looking to buy a Johnny Depp style fedora. Any recommendations?

Will also buy used Stetsons, Borsalino & Akubras!

Looking for 7 1/4 58cm

Attachments

• 855b88ad-5ed3-4890-a55f-07e854f26c15.JPG
    855b88ad-5ed3-4890-a55f-07e854f26c15.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 116822621_2441964092769962_6780398218163121651_n.JPG
    116822621_2441964092769962_6780398218163121651_n.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 117296113_141078654343688_3566526609171741275_n.JPG
    117296113_141078654343688_3566526609171741275_n.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 2,269
  • DiUtDrbwuk4.JPG
    DiUtDrbwuk4.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 257

The Shoe

One Too Many
There’s far more knowledgeable people than me here on the lounge, but my first thought was an Akubra Campdraft. They come open crown, so you could shape it like the Johnny Depp one and it has a similar thin ribbon. It also comes with a wind trolley which you could easily remove if you wanted to get it closer to the Depp hat.
I wore my silverbelly one today.

Edit: I just checked Hats by the Hundred and The Hattery Katoomba and unfortunately for you, it doesn’t look like it comes in the dark brown colour you’re after.

Attachments

• 1B0C2F8A-E5EA-4909-BEFB-EE26985C8D18.jpeg
    1B0C2F8A-E5EA-4909-BEFB-EE26985C8D18.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 317
Last edited:

larevacholiere

New in Town
Try vintage Stetson Open Road/Stratoliner (not the modern models, for the crown would be too low and there's no wind cord), Akubra CampDraft/RM, Borsalino Alessandria... or try custom hat makers.

tangecon

New in Town
Thanks everybody! I think what I'm looking for is the Akubra RM. Don't suppose anybody is willing to part with theirs?

Juhani

New in Town
Hi there! I'm looking to buy a Johnny Depp style fedora. Any recommendations?

Will also buy used Stetsons, Borsalino & Akubras!

Looking for 7 1/4 58cm

I believe here's what you're looking for. However, I wouldn't recommend this, as I wouldn't recommend any intentionally distressed, overprised hat.

tangecon

New in Town
I believe here's what you're looking for. However, I wouldn't recommend this, as I wouldn't recommend any intentionally distressed, overprised hat.
I've read mixed reviews...not sure if they're for me!

Mr. Depp, even in the pics provided, seems to wear a wide variety of fedora styles, though he like his wide brims and tall crowns like most of us do.

I think any decent vintage fedora, Stetson, Dobbs, Mallory, Borsa, will fill the bill. You just have to do the legwork to find it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
He's probably wearing a vintage Borso.

The modern version is here: https://www.bencrafthats.com/alessandria-by-borsalino-5630#.Yjnuod9lC2c

Modern Borsos are not the best hats, but if you like the distressed look, it's probably a better choice than Akubra, as the latter will take a while to get that 'broken in' look.

Luckily for you, there is a litany of vintage thin ribbon hats ala the Open Road and Stratoliner, as other manufacturers made similar styles.

tangecon

New in Town
He's probably wearing a vintage Borso.

The modern version is here: https://www.bencrafthats.com/alessandria-by-borsalino-5630#.Yjnuod9lC2c

Modern Borsos are not the best hats, but if you like the distressed look, it's probably a better choice than Akubra, as the latter will take a while to get that 'broken in' look.

Luckily for you, there is a litany of vintage thin ribbon hats ala the Open Road and Stratoliner, as other manufacturers made similar styles.
Thanks for the link!

tangecon

New in Town
Question time! Would anyone recommend stretching (Akubra) 57CM to 58CM with a hat stretcher?

Question time! Would anyone recommend stretching (Akubra) 57CM to 58CM with a hat stretcher?
You have opened a can o' worms. I have never had success stretching a hat up one full size. It creates more problems than it solves. You have to stretch: the felt itself, the leather sweat with a plastic reed that is joined by a ferrule (the stretching HAS to snap the ferrule from the reed) and then the crown ribbon. In the stretching of the felt you will get some manner of bulge around the area that the hat stretcher contacts...(2" or so) that accentuates the taper. Although you will get responses from others who have had success.

tangecon

New in Town
You have opened a can o' worms. I have never had success stretching a hat up one full size. It creates more problems than it solves. You have to stretch: the felt itself, the leather sweat with a plastic reed that is joined by a ferrule (the stretching HAS to snap the ferrule from the reed) and then the crown ribbon. In the stretching of the felt you will get some manner of bulge around the area that the hat stretcher contacts...(2" or so) that accentuates the taper. Although you will get responses from others who have had success.
Thanks for the reply! Perhaps I'll stick to buying a proper size. Seems tricky!

Driving over it with a Buick a few times considerably speeds that up.
I have made the mistake of delving into Instagram and am staggered at the number of custom hatters out there making the Nick Fouquet style of distressed/abused hats. I have yet to see one in the wild and wonder who is buying them.....anyone? Maybe I just live too sheltered a life???

I have made the mistake of delving into Instagram and am staggered at the number of custom hatters out there making the Nick Fouquet style of distressed/abused hats. I have yet to see one in the wild and wonder who is buying them.....anyone? Maybe I just live too sheltered a life???

Agree, but somebody's buying the darn things. You could start a line of overpriced, distressed hats. It could be something you do with your reworks and splotchy felts.

Agree, but somebody's buying the darn things. You could start a line of overpriced, distressed hats. It could be something you do with your reworks and splotchy felts.
I have been doing this but putting in the effort to make them more presentable so I can wear them. I should be putting in the effort to make them worse and then sell them for inflated prices for other's to wear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot