Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp Fedora

Edward

Bartender
There’s far more knowledgeable people than me here on the lounge, but my first thought was an Akubra Campdraft. They come open crown, so you could shape it like the Johnny Depp one and it has a similar thin ribbon. It also comes with a wind trolley which you could easily remove if you wanted to get it closer to the Depp hat.
I wore my silverbelly one today.

Edit: I just checked Hats by the Hundred and The Hattery Katoomba and unfortunately for you, it doesn’t look like it comes in the dark brown colour you’re after.

Interesting switch. The Hattery seems now to only have one model - the 'Deluxe' version of the Campdraft appears to have been deleted. The Standard model used to come in Silverbelly, a mid-brown shade, and Carbon Grey. I see a re-named silverbelly (now 'Sand') is still available, but the others have been replaced with black and bluegrass green. The latter interests me. Could be worth OP hunting for the older model online, might be somewhere has it.
If a distressed model as Depp favours is desired, that's a bonus: most of us would, I think, be looking for a 'tidier' option, and those who favour designer-distressing probably aren't scouring eBay for a deal on one...

I have made the mistake of delving into Instagram and am staggered at the number of custom hatters out there making the Nick Fouquet style of distressed/abused hats. I have yet to see one in the wild and wonder who is buying them.....anyone? Maybe I just live too sheltered a life???

It was only a matter of time, I suppose - distressing has had its fashionable periods in everything from jeans to leather jackets to guitars to cars.... had to hit in hats sooner or later.

I'll take 10% for being the idea man, LOL.
I was president of the board at my church when it was in financial difficulty. We brought in a member who was a successful business man for ''marketing' and 'growth' advice. He presented us with a multi page list of things to implement. We then asked him for his implementation strategy.......He replied...."I don't do implementation, I am the idea guy"....he then left the meeting as he had other important things to do. So I have long since dreamt of the day I too could become the "Idea Guy".....good gig if you can get it....even at 7%!

Monte

A-List Customer
Interesting switch. The Hattery seems now to only have one model - the 'Deluxe' version of the Campdraft appears to have been deleted. The Standard model used to come in Silverbelly, a mid-brown shade, and Carbon Grey. I see a re-named silverbelly (now 'Sand') is still available, but the others have been replaced with black and bluegrass green. The latter interests me. Could be worth OP hunting for the older model online, might be somewhere has it.
If a distressed model as Depp favours is desired, that's a bonus: most of us would, I think, be looking for a 'tidier' option, and those who favour designer-distressing probably aren't scouring eBay for a deal on one...

It was only a matter of time, I suppose - distressing has had its fashionable periods in everything from jeans to leather jackets to guitars to cars.... had to hit in hats sooner or later.

I saw a rodeo cowboy bend down, grab a handful of dirt from the arena floor, and commence to rub it all over his new, black hat. I thought he was doing the opposite of what a normal person would, which would be to brush off the dirt on a new, expensive western.

quikrick

One Too Many
Agree, but somebody's buying the darn things. You could start a line of overpriced, distressed hats. It could be something you do with your reworks and splotchy felts.

IMG_6737aa.jpg

HEY NOW!
This is one of Robert's @belfastboy blotchy dye job gone bad mistakes that I fell in love with. Not overpriced though.

I'm pretty sure Australia's lockdowns and the Covid situation in general spurred them to rework their product line.

View attachment 412325
HEY NOW!
This is one of Robert's @belfastboy blotchy dye job gone bad mistakes that I fell in love with. Not overpriced though.

Yeah, but if you had asked him to put a matchstick in the band the price would have doubled.

Man oh Man, it would seem 58cm is a hard size to find.

There is just a shortage of fur felt right now and inventory is low. You’re not going to get much sympathy for being a hard to find size 58cm. ;)

I don’t know when the availability issues will be resolved. I’m on a couple wait lists where the shops notify you when your size arrives.

tangecon

New in Town

The Shoe

One Too Many
Interesting switch. The Hattery seems now to only have one model - the 'Deluxe' version of the Campdraft appears to have been deleted. The Standard model used to come in Silverbelly, a mid-brown shade, and Carbon Grey. I see a re-named silverbelly (now 'Sand') is still available, but the others have been replaced with black and bluegrass green.
They had sales on the last of the deluxe models a year or so ago (maybe more).
Hats by the Hundred still has their model listed as Silverbelly. The pictures my be deceiving, but the Silverbelly looks to have a darker ribbon and a slightly different coloured felt.
My Silverbelly Campdraft (purchased from The Hattery) and my wife’s Sand Leisure Time (Hats by the Hundred) are quite different colours.
4FCA8849-D8A5-4BE1-9C0B-35A3E17B8A9D.jpeg

larevacholiere

New in Town
Man oh Man, it would seem 58cm is a hard size to find.
In fact, compared to larger sizes like those 60+, 58cm hats are already relatively way more easier to find. I think the main reason makes you feel hard to get an ideal hat is that the models you want were some very popular ones (the ones look like vintage stetson "Open Road", or "Stratoliner", or Akubra "CampDraft", whatever you call them), many people who like vintage OR style hats would purchase those models, but those models were in short supply these days, and some have even been discontinued. Not to mention that there're many people want to get a "JD" style hat, you could see how many seller put Johnny Depp's name on their title and ask for a somewhat ridiculous price online. If that's the specific hat you want, a brown open road fedora, my suggestion is that you could try to find a custom hat maker to make you one, just send him/her the pictures and he will take care all the rest.

tangecon

New in Town
In fact, compared to larger sizes like those 60+, 58cm hats are already relatively way more easier to find. I think the main reason makes you feel hard to get an ideal hat is that the models you want were some very popular ones (the ones look like vintage stetson "Open Road", or "Stratoliner", or Akubra "CampDraft", whatever you call them), many people who like vintage OR style hats would purchase those models, but those models were in short supply these days, and some have even been discontinued. Not to mention that there're many people want to get a "JD" style hat, you could see how many seller put Johnny Depp's name on their title and ask for a somewhat ridiculous price online. If that's the specific hat you want, a brown open road fedora, my suggestion is that you could try to find a custom hat maker to make you one, just send him/her the pictures and he will take care all the rest.
Most definitely! So many options to choose from. I used to own Caliqo replica JD hats but they were either too big or too small. I know my size now lolol it's just a matter of picking a hat!

larevacholiere

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ