Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp told to drop the hats by Vanessa Paradis

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, I feel a bit weird opining about fashion, I'm a guy whose outfits consists mostly of jeans and t-shirts (and hats of course!). I certainly don't mean to say that all things from the past should never be worn. My personal outlook on fashion is that the most important critic is one's self. I don't wear clothes that I don't feel comfortable wearing (in both a physical and mental sense). We seem to agree on this point.

I just think Tiller's position lacks any logical coherence. He asserts that fashion designers know nothing about style, and that it is irrelevant for me to point out that they are not emulating Grant and Astaire. Then continues to say that Depp will not be emulated in the future, and that Grant and Astaire are emulating, making them timeless. But emulated by who? I can't think of anybody who is widely considered "fashionable" that emulates the style of the 30's-40's. Certainly one can find elements of style in more contemporary looks, but the "look" of the 30's and 40's is not "timeless." If you stepped out on the street in a boxier, double breasted suit with wide lapels, you would stick out. And if it is not relevant to point out that the Golden Era is not being emulated by leading fashion designers, why is it relevant to ask whether or not Johnny Depp will be emulated in 50 years?

And I want to be clear that it is not my intention to demean or otherwise degrade those who choose to dress this way. I do pop into the general attire forum from time to time and I have to say that this look works quite well for the population here.

But as Marc Chevalier points out, you can't just walk into a store and buy a new suit that looks like a suit from the 30's and the 40's because that style simply is not fashionable for a marketable portion of today's population.

Ultimately I think Johnny Depp will be remembered as a talented actor who has a unique and eccentric style of dress.
I agree. Truman Capote was one person whom always wore what he felt to wear, and actually was berated by a Judge while in a court room due to wearing a suit that had shorts made for the suit. His reply to the Judge was, " I thought I looked rather smart"! Not to get off too far from Mr. Depp.

I think we all have some "self" sense of style for what we enjoy wearing.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I was going to address your points more, and also attempt to prove further what I was saying, but honestly after reading this I'm done here. This is suppose to be a place that is suppose to be talking about the Golden Age and the lovers of the style talking about it. Sorry I thought this was the place for me, but I've seen to many of your hipster types around here lately. I'm just not comfortable here anymore. I'll pay my tab and I'm gone. Someone just delete my account. I'm done with this dive, this place just doesn't attract the clientele I'm interested in spending time with anymore.

Check please. Someone just please delete my account.

I would hope you would not take such a harsh viewpoint on what anyone else would state here. As you know, not everyone is always going to be someone's "cup of tea", yet to view the diverse thoughts and input from the many expressed, is in itself, a treasure. How else would anyone learn if not by sharing and commenting?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Sorry I thought this was the place for me, but I've seen to many of your hipster types around here lately. I'm just not comfortable here anymore. I'll pay my tab and I'm gone. Someone just delete my account. I'm done with this dive, this place just doesn't attract the clientele I'm interested in spending time with anymore.

Check please. Someone just please delete my account.

Now that's weak. jlee562 has made some valid points in his arguments which you obviously don't like. Now you want to have your account deleted. Well, right. Go on, then. That's fine by me. This forum really doesn't need any self-righteous, narrow-minded people to tell us what's right and what's wrong. This is not the communist party, comrade. :rolleyes:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Really, I do not see or think that jlee562 is anything other than a wonderful young man with a lot of hat knowledge and experience that even some of us "older" individuals may learn from. And actually the term, "hipster" as far as I am concerned, would be a compliment! I want to be "hipster" !

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Tiller,

I will admit that I owned a Pheonix suit, Bass saddle oxfords, one of those polyester photo-print shirts ... I can't remember the brand name "Chesterfield" or something like that, a Mr. Guy shawl collar cardigan, a butterscotch color Grais leather overcoat, and a pair of Wolf Brothers khaki slacks. I even had an Oleg Cassini Panama hat ... I WAS a Hipster ... but I will also admit, that was in the 1970s.

Man, was I ever hip.

Hip, hip, hippie, hip hooray!

But I'm not hipster any more, Tiller.

Now I'm just thrilled that someone still makes pleated pants with wide legs and I grab an extra pair when ever I can afford them, because I expect them to be phased out any day. I'm glad that I can still find comfortable shoes that don't look like they came out of the Munchkin City. I'm glad that I got turned on to a great line of modern Akubra dress hats that I can wear daily without worrying they will fall apart. I'm glad that I found out about the trustworthiness of Wichita Hat Works and can depend on Jack and his staff to fix up my great old fedoras I've accumulated all these years.

I'm glad that even though I have spouted off on this site from time to time over the past few years, there are still fine people like our dear Rue who find humor in what I've posted.

I'm glad for the friends I've made, who I can exchange thoughts with on subjects that most of my "live" friends turn glassy-eyed over before I can explain why I'm driving five hours round trip ... AGAIN ... to drop off hats for repairs.

Tiller, I am glad of all that and I am sorry that you have given up on us.

I think these people are great. I've said it before. I get paid ... not real well ... to write and I spend time looking at what other people write and I can attest that you will look hard and long to find a more tasteful website than this one.

People tend to be kind to each other here, and for that I am glad!

Thanks to all of you!

And, Tiller, I hope you will give this place another chance. You won't find a better one out there.

Sam

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I want to be "hipster" !

4595854499_fc69231fd5.jpg

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I think these people are great. I've said it before. I get paid ... not real well ... to write and I spend time looking at what other people write and I can attest that you will look hard and long to find a more tasteful website than this one.

Thanks to all of you!

And, Tiller, I hope you will give this place another chance. You won't find a better one out there.

Sam

I couldn't say it any better, so I won't try.

BR

Last edited:

rue

Tiller,

I will admit that I owned a Pheonix suit, Bass saddle oxfords, one of those polyester photo-print shirts ... I can't remember the brand name "Chesterfield" or something like that, a Mr. Guy shawl collar cardigan, a butterscotch color Grais leather overcoat, and a pair of Wolf Brothers khaki slacks. I even had an Oleg Cassini Panama hat ... I WAS a Hipster ... but I will also admit, that was in the 1970s.

Man, was I ever hip.

Hip, hip, hippie, hip hooray!

But I'm not hipster any more, Tiller.

Now I'm just thrilled that someone still makes pleated pants with wide legs and I grab an extra pair when ever I can afford them, because I expect them to be phased out any day. I'm glad that I can still find comfortable shoes that don't look like they came out of the Munchkin City. I'm glad that I got turned on to a great line of modern Akubra dress hats that I can wear daily without worrying they will fall apart. I'm glad that I found out about the trustworthiness of Wichita Hat Works and can depend on Jack and his staff to fix up my great old fedoras I've accumulated all these years.

I'm glad that even though I have spouted off on this site from time to time over the past few years, there are still fine people like our dear Rue who find humor in what I've posted.

I'm glad for the friends I've made, who I can exchange thoughts with on subjects that most of my "live" friends turn glassy-eyed over before I can explain why I'm driving five hours round trip ... AGAIN ... to drop off hats for repairs.

Tiller, I am glad of all that and I am sorry that you have given up on us.

Thanks to all of you!

Sam

Hey! I was mentioned :D Anyway, I agree with what you wrote Sam. Very well said :)

Oh and I think it's too late guys .... he already said his goodbyes.....

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

After seeing this part of the thread, I was happy to note that a search on "Cary Grant Style" turned up a decent page of links. The first showed a picture of him wearing a suit. Looks good, and looks a LOT like many suits available now, BUT not those available at Banana Republic (home of incredibly skinny people and clothing). Of course, the devil is in the details and tailoring is necessary.

Later

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.

I want to offer an apology to Tiller if he interpreted my post as being somehow disrespectful. That was not my intention. I feel like I have conducted myself in an upstanding manner, but if he was offended by my post(s), I would like to offer a sincere apology.

Well, I'm not young enough and don't have enough hair for an androgynous hairstyle. Tight jeans that I could wear 20 years ago are now too constricting. So I guess I ain't no hipster.

I thought the point of a forum was to exchange ideas, you don't necessarily have to agree with everyone.
It's a good thing politics and religion are not discussed here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo