Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnnyphi Hat Club

RBH

Bartender
Hoss & da Posse said:
Interesting...I tried stretching a 7 3/8 hat I bought in college into (onto) my nearly 50 yr-old 7 1/2 noggin. The sweatband got really brittle after I wore it one day and put a good sweat into it. Long story, short...it shrunk back and virtually exploded when I tried forcing it on my head about a week later! [huh]
For that very reason, I have avoided bidding down on any 7 3/8 and especially vintage because I thought it would be more of the same. Living in Georgia, I can count on sweating. And I'm pretty sure all the "true" 7 3/8's will come riding in to assure me I'm doing the right thing ;)
I am with you Hoss. Every so often I get lucky on a hat [Mallory The Dallas]
in my 7 1\2 size that does not break the bank. Most times I let the smaller size go by. As you know vintage hats in our size are prime.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stetson "Moselle"

Oh, man. This lid is amazing. The color of this green is just absolutely gorgeous. Just a beautiful rich shade of green, and the edge binding is equally beautiful. The color of the crown ribbon really changes depending on the lighting, and the style of the ribbon is fairly unique, to say the least.

I did a quick dry bash so that I could celebrate the arrival of this lid. I'll post more photos when I get a chance. This is one of those lids where it is hard to capture the color, so I'll work on that.

One of the interesting things I discovered was that the word "Moselle" is stamped on the back of the sweat. Don't know if this term is supposed to designate the color, or whether there was a time when the name of the model was stamped on the back of the sweat (I'm really curious about this -- any thoughts welcome).

In any event, without further ado:

StetsonMoselle.jpg

MoselleStamp.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
MOSSELLE?!?!?!?

Thanks for sharing the love, Jimmy!

How in the heck did you find that stamp? I have seen the faint/faded writing on the inside of the sweat on multiple hats, but I've never found a stamp like that before. Leave it to JTL to find the Rosetta Stone of Royal Stetson styles.

I think the stamp must be a style label, since the hat box calls the color "Holly".

HatInventory-033.jpg

jimmy the lid said:
Oh, man. This lid is amazing. The color of this green is just absolutely gorgeous. Just a beautiful rich shade of green, and the edge binding is equally beautiful. The color of the crown ribbon really changes depending on the lighting, and the style of the ribbon is fairly unique, to say the least.

One of the interesting things I discovered was that the word "Moselle" is stamped on the back of the sweat. Don't know if this term is supposed to designate the color, or whether there was a time when the name of the model was stamped on the back of the sweat (I'm really curious about this -- any thoughts welcome).

In any event, without further ado:

StetsonMoselle.jpg

MoselleStamp.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Names of Adam models?

So, for you Club Members who have acquired a johnnyphi Adam lid -- have any of you checked for a label under the sweat that actually identifies a model name for your lid?

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
So, for you Club Members who have acquired a johnnyphi Adam lid -- have any of you checked for a label under the sweat that actually identifies a model name for your lid?

Cheers,
JtL

My Adam Executive has no printing on the inside of the sweat except an '8' written with a black marker of some kind, but it does have a light green rectangular sticker that has a Adams price of $7.50 and 'to reorder JW Mainliner' in addition to the hat size.[huh] Oh and a union sticker next to it:D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, Bart -- just to be more clear, the tag on mine is fixed to the back of the hat under the sweat (it's not on the back of the sweat itself). Is that where the stickers on your lid are located?

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Sorry, Bart -- just to be more clear, the tag on mine is fixed to the back of the hat under the sweat (it's not on the back of the sweat itself). Is that where the stickers on your lid are located?

Cheers,
JtL

Yep, mine is not on the sweat but on the hat body under the sweat.

Jerekson

One Too Many
JohnnyPhi, I've been checking your auction page every day for the past week and have not seen any hats. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can you PM me a link perhaps?

GWD

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
JohnnyPhi, I've been checking your auction page every day for the past week and have not seen any hats. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can you PM me a link perhaps?

Jerekson, go to the Merchants section of the Lounge and you will see the auctions. Good Luck!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Mainliner = Stratoliner

handlebar bart said:
My Adam Executive has no printing on the inside of the sweat except an '8' written with a black marker of some kind, but it does have a light green rectangular sticker that has a Adams price of $7.50 and 'to reorder JW Mainliner' in addition to the hat size.[huh] Oh and a union sticker next to it:D

Gents, Mainliner was Adam's version of the Stetson Stratoliner. Both with wide brims, tall crowns and thin ribbons. Adam didn't try hard to hide their copy-cat ways. Luckily, their ability to copy popular Stetson styles was matched by their ability to produce high quality hats.

Interestingly, I haven't really found any examples of Adam hat styles being named for styles made by any brand, other than Stetson.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
There we go. Since "Executive," "Majestic," "Royal," etc. seem to be quality designations, it seems like there are actually model names associated with the various Adam lids, as well -- but these model names seem to be on the hidden labels. Anyone have other models to throw into the mix?

Cheers,
JtL

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Exactly...

jimmy the lid said:
There we go. Since "Executive," "Majestic," "Royal," etc. seem to be quality designations, it seems like there are actually model names associated with the various Adam lids, as well -- but these model names seem to be on the hidden labels. Anyone have other models to throw into the mix?

Cheers,
JtL

Jimmy, You're right about the quality designations. I didn't include the style names because they don't really help describe the hat for auction purposes, but many hats do have style names listed on the interior tags that are attached inside the sweatband.

Some names to look for are Mainliner, Futura, Strand, Crosby, Pacesetter, and Crosley PTV.

PS - MG tells me that pictures of his new silverbelly Adam Mainliner are inbound. He seems to be a wee-bit stunned by this hat, so please go easy on him!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo