Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnnyphi Hat Club

GWD

One Too Many
Sage Green Premier Stratoliner

I think this is the most beautiful hat I own. Thanks Johnny!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Notice the sweat (no reed)

web.jpg

This was just a quick dry bash, it goes back to an open crown with no evidence it was ever bashed. Incredible Hat!

GWD

One Too Many
Hoss & da Posse said:
Beautiful hat, GWD...I, for one, vote for a pic of it being worn as intended...after all, it's been patiently waiting for 60 years, maybe?

Not the greatest of pics, and it's still a little small. It's still in the stretching phase.

web.jpg

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Very nice...

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap That is an awesome hat deserving of the special place you are giving it.

As an aside, what do you mean when you say it is in the stretching phase? That it is in the process of "self-conforming" ala Resistol's catchphrase? Or actually being stretched by mechanical means of some sort?

GWD

One Too Many
Hoss & da Posse said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap That is an awesome hat deserving of the special place you are giving it.

As an aside, what do you mean when you say it is in the stretching phase? That it is in the process of "self-conforming" ala Resistol's catchphrase? Or actually being stretched by mechanical means of some sort?

LOL, Nope it's a size too small, it's a 7 and I'm a 7 1/8 so I'm taking a week or so and slowly making it my size. I'm using a hat block and ever so slowly forcing it down the taper until it fits.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
That strat looks great GWD. The color is fantastic. How do you like the unlined hats? I got my first unlined from Johnnyphi recently and I have really taken to it. Seems to be a noticeable difference, and I am curious if you notice it with your unlined lid[huh]

GWD

One Too Many
handlebar bart said:
That strat looks great GWD. The color is fantastic. How do you like the unlined hats? I got my first unlined from Johnnyphi recently and I have really taken to it. Seems to be a noticeable difference, and I am curious if you notice it with your unlined lid[huh]

Thanks Bart, I haven't worn it yet! :D But I'll let you know when I do!

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
LOL, Nope it's a size too small, it's a 7 and I'm a 7 1/8 so I'm taking a week or so and slowly making it my size. I'm using a hat block and ever so slowly forcing it down the taper until it fits.

Interesting...I tried stretching a 7 3/8 hat I bought in college into (onto) my nearly 50 yr-old 7 1/2 noggin. The sweatband got really brittle after I wore it one day and put a good sweat into it. Long story, short...it shrunk back and virtually exploded when I tried forcing it on my head about a week later! [huh]
For that very reason, I have avoided bidding down on any 7 3/8 and especially vintage because I thought it would be more of the same. Living in Georgia, I can count on sweating. And I'm pretty sure all the "true" 7 3/8's will come riding in to assure me I'm doing the right thing ;)

GWD

One Too Many
I've had a few Sweatband problems myself and I wouldn't try it with a used vintage hat. But this hat is new old stock. The leather is very supple and like brand new. I think as long as I take my time it should be fine. Besides, this is a special occasion hat, It's not going to be a work out in the sun hat.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
Besides, this is a special occasion hat, It's not going to be a work out in the sun hat.
I hear that! If I had a hat like that, it would be the quintessential "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" hat... and maybe the theater, if I were a theater-goin' person...or a nice dinner. Man, if I had a hat like that, I'd probably be finding all kinds of "special occasions" to justify wearing it ;) Anyway, great hat...enjoy it any time you can and congratulations

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stratospheric Strat

GWD -- Let me add my congrats. That Strat is really unbelievable. Absolutely pristine, and in a fabulous color. That's one for the Strat Hall of Fame. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Wear it in good health!

Cheers,
JtL

GWD

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
GWD -- Let me add my congrats. That Strat is really unbelievable. Absolutely pristine, and in a fabulous color. That's one for the Strat Hall of Fame. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Wear it in good health!

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks Jimmy! I couldn't be happier with it. Well maybe if it were a size bigger. But it was a chance in a life time.

BTW This is a great Thread Thanks for doing this, it's very helpful!

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
That fits you very well GWD. Nice score, good luck with the stretching. Seeing those pictures makes me even more impatient for my two new ones to get here! The junkie needs his fix. lol

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
How is the stretch going?

Did everything turn out OK?

GWD said:
I've had a few Sweatband problems myself and I wouldn't try it with a used vintage hat. But this hat is new old stock. The leather is very supple and like brand new. I think as long as I take my time it should be fine. Besides, this is a special occasion hat, It's not going to be a work out in the sun hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo