Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnnyphi Hat Club

YETI

A-List Customer
A Kind Gesture Enormously Appreciated

johnnyphi said:
Very astute... I DID find lots of great vintage clothes, and I also found a very nice couple who owns a movie wardrobe company in Upstate New York. They flew to DC, and brought their checkbook. So... Next time we see vintage BVDs in a movie, we'll wonder if those are Johnnyphi BVDs. You can see the whole saga, if you visit this link - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26205

Long story short... I kept the hats to sell to you fine folks!
Wow! That's a cool story. The hat find alone should be etched in stone. As a vintage clothing wholesaler/collector for 15+ years, I could only hope to find the mother load such as yours. My initial reaction to you selling the entire lot of clothes was "No you didn't!"; but then it had to have been a substantial amount to sell everything. I just hope you weren't low balled. I know a vintage clothing business owner who spent almost $100,000 on USED vintage clothes when a vintage clothing store closed here some 5 yrs. ago. He would've crawled through broken glass to bring his checkbook. Anyways, I certainly hope to be an honorary member of the famous Johnnyphi Hat Club. That's if my wallet permits.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Where are the most recent additions?

Gents... According to UPS, several of you have received your new/old hats recently.

I'm sure I'm not the only Lounger who is looking forward to reading your impressions and seeing your photos!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
71984049ya4.png

This Adam is my new best friend, I am having a hard time putting anything else on my head as of late

analogist

One of the Regulars
#53 Royal Stetson 7 1/4

Johnnyphi=bad dude.....

Why did I bid so high? Box arrives this afternoon. Take it to my friend Besdor to open it. This way, if he cuts through the hat, he owes me another hat. If I open it myself and cut the carton too deeply, I'm the fool who destroyed the hat.

Verdict; SPECTACULAR BEYOND THE COMMON SENSES OF MAN!!!

Deep forest green felt that seems to shape itself by the mere thoughts of the wearer. Double folded irridescent green ribbon which ranges from indigo to jade depending on the angle and the light.

Between my Schoble and this Stetson, there is nothing left to be desired.

Addiction drives me to bid on todays Adam Executive. Will the luck of the dice change? Who knows.

Thanks, Johnnyphi

analogist

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
analogist. We need a picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

and the Adam you just picked up is amazing too. That light grey is sharp:eusa_clap

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
analogist said:

Deep forest green felt that seems to shape itself by the mere thoughts of the wearer. Double folded irridescent green ribbon which ranges from indigo to jade depending on the angle and the light.

That description almost makes my mouth water...
We need pics, analogist!
worthlesswithoutpics

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would love to see a picture or two after such a colorful description, analogist. Besides, we are all dying to know if that's really you in your avatar.;)

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Couldn't have said it better!

You should write copy for me... My photographer's pictures are great, but your description is better!

analogist said:
Johnnyphi=bad dude.....

Why did I bid so high? Box arrives this afternoon. Take it to my friend Besdor to open it. This way, if he cuts through the hat, he owes me another hat. If I open it myself and cut the carton too deeply, I'm the fool who destroyed the hat.

Addiction drives me to bid on todays Adam Executive. Will the luck of the dice change? Who knows.

Thanks, Johnnyphi

analogist

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Having seen Analogists new Stetson, I can verify that it is one sharp looking hat. I have never seen a pleated band on a hat before in this way. I hope that a pic is posted soon, so you all can see what I mean. It was an absolute pleasure to shape this hat. I didnt have to use one drop of steam on it to put in pinches.
There is NO ONE today who can make a hat of this quality and I've seen them all. Those vintage hats are worth every penny.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Johnnyphi Vacation

After consulting with members of the Johnnyphi Hat Club, I have decided to take a vacation.

Well, I was already planning the vacation, but I've also decided not to post any hats for auction this week.

The auction will be back on the week of the July 20th.

In the meantime, I'll be checking the Lounge, and I'll make sure all of the previously purchased hats are delivered safely to their new homes... Including the hats purchased by our friend Tom from Across the Pond and Kabuto in Jolly Old Japan.

Cheers...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Have a great vacation, johnnyphi -- you've earned it! :eusa_clap

As a club member, I'll just say that it would be great if we could get back to a Wednesday/Sunday schedule for auctions (to the extent that you hold them at all in any given week). Those days seem to work pretty well, all things considered. Most importantly, it allows everyone to plan accordingly. ;)

Enjoy yourself!

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
johnnyphi Fun Pak Arrives!

Well, today was a good day. I returned home from work to find three boxes parked on my front porch! I couldn't wait to see these lids, and they don't disappoint...

The first lid I opened was this Adam:

TaupeAdam.jpg

johnnyphi described this lid as being in mint condition, and he was right. The color is taupe, with a matching ribbon on the crown, and a light green ribbon for the edge binding. Really sharp looking.

The next lid was this Adam...

Green-GrayAdam.jpg

The color of this one is interesting. Sitting in isolation, it might appear to be gray -- but, placed next to a gray hat, it is clear that this lid has a green hue. It's subtle -- and I imagine this hat will go nicely with a variety of colors. Very cool.

I have found that johnnyphi's descriptions of his lids are extremely accurate and reliable -- perhaps even to a fault. The green/gray Adam was described as being in "good" condition with "several small nibbles." In fact, I can find only two utterly microscopic nibbles -- one completely hidden by the wind trolley cord -- and, even if they hadn't been mentioned in the auction description, their presence would have been a non-issue. (One burst of steam and a few strokes with a needle will have these nibbles rendered invisible in a minute).

I have never handled an Adam hat, so I was very interested to see how they compared to other vintage lids. In terms of quality of felt, quality of leather sweatband, quality of liner and general appearance, these "Executive Quality" Adams compare quite favorably to a Royal Stetson. No regrets, whatsoever. The felt is very nice, and the look of these lids is sharp. Of course, I will have to put them back into open crown condition in order to put my own stamp on them... ;)

johnnyphi had advertised the brim width on these lids as 2 1/2", but I find that they are actually 2 5/8" -- which is a big plus for me, since I love that particular width. Fantastic! The stickers in the back of each hat reveal a price of $7.50. If these lids date from the early to mid 40's, then that particular price would match the price of a Royal Stetson at the time.

The third box contained the Stetson "The Avenue." That will be the subject of its own thread once I get to take some photos. It is phenomenal.

So -- thanks, johnnyphi. Fabulous lids. Well done! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Wow JtL I really, REALLY like those too. The first one with the green edge binding is fantastic simply on the wonderful color contrast, as subtle as they appear on my screen. And the second, I like the shade of that one. Wonderful. Thanks for the fix. Those colors and combo of colors is what is missing in current hat offerings by the main manufacturers. I would love to see those colorings offered again.[huh]

AlanC

Great hats, JtL. You're going to have to grow a few more heads to put all these on.

I need to add my Schoble to this thread. And another johnnyphi hat never before seen... ;)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
Great hats, JtL. You're going to have to grow a few more heads to put all these on.

I need to add my Schoble to this thread. And another johnnyphi hat never before seen... ;)

:whistling bring it on

BobC

My brown Johnnyphi Stetson was on the porch today when we got home. WOW! I'll take pictures tomorrow, but today we flew all day. I think I'm going to put a diamond in it or try to. I put a quick center dent and a pinch or two in it when I got the box open just to see it bashed and the felt is as soft as a baby's bottom and very easy to shape. All I can think to say is WOW! This is very cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart