Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Join "The Fray"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fray-esque? Seems like this kind of hat, on that kind of roughneck (Daniel Trueblood), would've had that kind of sweatband. Maybe. Complete with milkshake.

Fray.jpg

Fray3.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Cool - so the Stetson I recently acquired through Dinerman's eBay sale owes a debt to Billy Fray and his sweatband ingenuity.

D329403-L.jpg

D329406-L.jpg

D329414-L.jpg

Oh, I ran the risk of having to confront the wrath of Mr. HatsEnough by changing the crease as well. It is a very wearable hat, despite its advanced age.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure thing, Marc, except for the shameful brim binding. That would not have flown in the day.

6a012875949499970c01287594e304970c-pi

Look how far the stitching is from the edge of the binding.

There-Will-Be-Blood-daniel-day-lewis-859164_450_549.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Here's a picture ad from a 1916 issue of "The American" hatter. I've said before and I will say it again, these American Hatter issues might just be the single most important historical reference for pre-1930 hats in existence. This picture shows the Officers of the John B. Stetson company on their 50th Anniversary of business. William F. Fray is the 1st vice president.

1916Stetsonofficers.jpg

Looking over the posts in this thread and chatting with Josh in PMs, it appears the Fray imprint appeared on a range of sweatbands over the years but most characteristically on this particular style of embossed and coated leather

fray3.jpg

which seems to have worn like iron. One area of weakness seems to have been a problem with foil hot stamping. The Stetson insignia and Fray imprint were (from our limited samples) inkless blind embossments. The store logos were done mostly in a silver foil which I believe is aluminum. The foil embossments didn't fare as well over time, showing problems with adhesion of the foil:

fray2.jpg

perhaps from the treatment used on these sweats to withstand moisture?

Other Fray variants sported the same Stetson inkless embossments and store imprints in bronze foil with improved adhesion, as in these auction photos posted by Lefty on the pre-1940s Stetson Western thread:

nutriafray1.jpg

nutriafray3.jpg

The slick hard wearing Fray sweat had the potential to be an iron horse sweatband, but it wasn't particularly pretty and it didn't imprint easily. Was it abandoned because of it's weakness in marketing the store brand... or in favor of prettier, softer materials? Ruminations for a Sunday afternoon.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well, one thing is for sure. As to the argument of whether Nutria or Beaver make a tougher hat, a long haired Nutria looks every bit as good as a long haired beaver or Rabbit. This hat is a prime example! I could stare at it all day! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

As a side note, I just had to mention how much I love the sweatband stampings. They are nice and deep and have great definition. I much prefer plain stampings over gold ones on these oldies any day of the week.

jbooth

New in Town
Wm Fray worked for P. Herst & Co in Philadelphia from ( 1861 to 1866 ) before joining Stetson. Herst was a large competitor of Stetson, and Herst won government hat contracts in the 1870’s. Sometime afterwards ( 1880 - 1920 ) Herst’s manufactured hats which include the embossed Fray labeled sweatband, ( patented January 1, 1879) a hallmark of Stetson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana