Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JPDesign

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I'm still trying to get a Digging for the Truth-style hat made, and I think I've found my man with Jimmy Pierce. He's offered to make it for $100 in rabbit, which is best for uses, rather than spending the extra for beaver.

Anyway, if anybody can comment on the stuff Jimmy makes, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,
-Kodiak

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Josh gets his hats made by 'The Bounty Hunter' in Telluride Colorado. It's cool shop, very pricey and very old school. Their hats start at around $450.
That said, JP seems to make a helluva nice hat at a great price. $100 for a custom rabbit? Thar's a crazy good deal! I might be giving Jimmy a call.
Also, you can take heart that Josh is a helluva nice guy and a true hardcore woodsman.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Josh gets his hats made by 'The Bounty Hunter' in Telluride Colorado.

The book claims that he buys through Nathaniel's of Colorado.

Anyway, the style works for me, and if I can get any custom hat for $100, I'll buy it. He's even including the leather band I want in that price. I wouldn't guarantee anything though: he said that since things were slow he'd give me a good deal. Anyway, it's worth checking out.

Also, you can take heart that Josh is a helluva nice guy and a true hardcore woodsman.

Would it be rude to ask how you know? And do you know anything about his Myspace?

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Kodiak said:
The book claims that he buys through Nathaniel's of Colorado.

Anyway, the style works for me, and if I can get any custom hat for $100, I'll buy it. He's even including the leather band I want in that price. I wouldn't guarantee anything though: he said that since things were slow he'd give me a good deal. Anyway, it's worth checking out.

Would it be rude to ask how you know? And do you know anything about his Myspace?

No it would not be rude. I work in the outdoor industry in Western Colorado and met him through a friend that knows him from his school in Utah.
I don't myspace. We had to block myspace at work to keep my employees from spending their whole shift on it. That site makes me grumble.

My mistake, the Bounty Hunter is owned, or part of Nathaniels. Telluride is about 1.5 hours from Mancos.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Akubra's are nice, but I have yet to find one that suits me. I have never seen one in person to see how well it fits me, so I think I'll just go custom on this job.

I work in the outdoor industry in Western Colorado and met him through a friend that knows him from his school in Utah.

Must be a pretty nice job. I've been trying to figure out which BOSS course to take for awhile. If only I could take them all...

I don't myspace.

I understand. I just set my account up to keep in touch with some friends. I saw his account on there, but it seems like an imposter to me. Too many fans that just want to drool over him :rage:

My mistake, the Bounty Hunter is owned, or part of Nathaniels. Telluride is about 1.5 hours from Mancos.

Don't worry about it. I wouldn't pay that much for a hat no matter who it was made by ;)

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Kodiak said:
Akubra's are nice, but I have yet to find one that suits me. I have never seen one in person to see how well it fits me, so I think I'll just go custom on this job.

Must be a pretty nice job. I've been trying to figure out which BOSS course to take for awhile. If only I could take them all...

I understand. I just set my account up to keep in touch with some friends. I saw his account on there, but it seems like an imposter to me. Too many fans that just want to drool over him :rage:

Don't worry about it. I wouldn't pay that much for a hat no matter who it was made by ;)

I know a some folks that have taken the extended BOSS courses and they called them "life changing". They also came back 20-35lbs lighter.:eek: I'd love to take one as well, I could stand to drop 20lbs.;)

Those are some pricey hats! I tried some on in the Telluride store a few weeks ago and they are nice though, just not that nice.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Kodiak,

Keep us posted on this. I am interested in seeing how it all works out. I am also looking for a Digging for the Truth hat and just sent a 1930s cowboy hat off to either be converted to the aforementioned hat or to a fedora-haven't decided which yet. In any case post pictures if/when you have it made and receive it.

Regards,
Hollis

P.S. If you have any questions regarding the lid contact Nate, he is one heck of a nice guy to talk with and he is patient.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
M_Jones said:
I am also looking for a Digging for the Truth hat and just sent a 1930s cowboy hat off to either be converted to the aforementioned hat or to a fedora-haven't decided which yet.

An *actual* 1930s cowboy hat? And you're changing it?

So you'll end up with either a "Digging for the Truth" hat
made entirely differently even though you can read on this
site that the hat is not vintage and could be ordered custom
or a fedora that is way too thick and heavy and not at all right?

Why not sell the 30s cowboy hat to someone who will
appreciate it for the rarity it is and get Art Fawcett to
build you the hat of your dreams out of something much
more appropriate? You do understand that an *actual*
1930s cowboy hat is a rare thing?

Here's a steal:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=120073656927

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
An *actual* 1930s cowboy hat? And you're changing it?

So you'll end up with either a "Digging for the Truth" hat
made entirely differently even though you can read on this
site that the hat is not vintage and could be ordered custom
or a fedora that is way too thick and heavy and not at all right?

Why not sell the 30s cowboy hat to someone who will
appreciate it for the rarity it is and get Art Fawcett to
build you the hat of your dreams out of something much
more appropriate? You do understand that an *actual*
1930s cowboy hat is a rare thing?

Here's a steal:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=120073656927

Perhaps I should clarify. It is a claimed 1930s cowboy hat. The seller drastically messed up the size measurement and offered no refund as I put on the hat to see if it fit and the cheap sweatband split up the side. Furthermore after examining the hat it seemed more modern than described. Too bad vintage on OFAS means dirty and too bad that I did not have the foresight to question better...

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Kodiak, what weight is the felt going to be? Is this going to be a roughwear/rainy weather hat? I'd love to have one like Josh's, but only if it would handle the rigors of the outdoors.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I am also looking for a Digging for the Truth hat and just sent a 1930s cowboy hat off to either be converted to the aforementioned hat or to a fedora-haven't decided which yet. In any case post pictures if/when you have it made and receive it.

Will do. As others have said, I wouldn't give up a 30s cowboy hat for a reblock into anything unless it was in bad shape, but Jimmy's offer is really the best I've come across. Yes, Steve Delk and Art Fawcett could make the hat with (probably) better felt, but a teenager can't beat $100.

If you have any questions regarding the lid contact Nate, he is one heck of a nice guy to talk with and he is patient.

I've actually tried to get in touch with Nate via email before, but never got anything out of it. I might call him to ask about the band he used for Josh's hat though. That is one element that really needs to be right.

Kodiak, what weight is the felt going to be? Is this going to be a roughwear/rainy weather hat? I'd love to have one like Josh's, but only if it would handle the rigors of the outdoors.

All the hats I own I beat the hell out of, which is why I always do rabbit. No use in beating up a good beaver brim. I had debated about what weight to do it in, but when I finally talked to Jimmy on the phone he told me he would use a wider brimmed felt, about midway between dress and western in stiffness. That way it would still be durable (I need it durable too, it's going to be my exploring/shooting/rain-snow-sleet hat) but flexible. I figure that's about as close as I'll get to Josh's, as on the show it doesn't seem to be overly stiff. I just hope the felt is up to par, and won't taper with the slightest shower. I'm positive it will be fine though.

I'll be sure to keep you folks posted.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I think you'll be very happy with JP's work. I've known him for 5 years and have seen lots of his work and he is a true artist with regards to hats. I think you'll be happy.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I just ordered an "Indy" hat from Jimmy Pierce in rabbit (left open crown...I think I'm going to put a '40's cross-dent or teardrop crown in it...). I have a beaver hat I had him make for me, along with reworking a gray fedora I have had for years. I wear this hat every day at work. I need a brown "work hat"...my beaver one is too nice to wear out in the lumberyard!

I like Mr. Pierce's work!

Akubra has odd colors...especially if you want "brown", not to mention the universally-encountered sizing problems.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Yeah, who the hell knows what "santone fawn" actually looks like?

If you don't mind me asking Dutch, where about in KY are you?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Kodiak (and others),
I just got a brand new JPD Indy, rabbit fur felt, open crowned, which I grabbed during his "holiday sale". I'm very pleased, and I'm thinking of trying a rabbit non-Indy soon. For the price, you get everything that you'd get in an Akubra, plus the benefits of a custom made hat with very personal touches. For example, even though people don't usually see it, Jimmy's liner is beautiful. It adds a very personal touch. I say, if you haven't already, go for the JPD!
NB

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I got a felt sample in what Jimmy calls "buckskin" yesterday. It is exactly what he described it as: slightly heavier-than-normal dress felt with extra rugged kick. The feel isn't that of your regular fedora (my Indy is from Beaver Brand, Lee Keppler) but it has the same quality. As soon as I can get in touch with him, I'll have a DFT hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24