Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got this one...

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Just got this "5X Beaver" hat by Bailey off ebay. I see great things in it's future.... I think it shall be my entry application for both the "Diamond authority" and the "Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon"... ;)

81005308_tp.jpg

81005404_tp.jpg

This one had been up at least twice with no bidders. I was the only one this time. I think 'cause it has a relatively narrow brim (looks 3")...and it's brown. I see it's Fedora potential, however...

Man, I gotta quit buying all these d@m hats... I'm also bidding on three more soon! It's a freakin' sickness....

I guess the good thing is, that these hats, though of good quality, are fairly inexpensive. The bad thing is that shipping them is might near as expensive as the hats are!!! :eek:

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
I also got one of those half way cowboy hats (I call them that way because they are somewhat between a cowboy hat and a fedora in my opinion) recently, but mine is grey. I was considering changing the bash, but then again maybe not, since I already have a diamond, a tear drop and center dent in my other hats. These hats somehow remind me a petro mogul hats. Did J.R. wear one of them in Dallas actually? No sure what I will do with mine yet. Mine is a between a light and medium grey and looks the same as yours, but it's a Stetson I believe. Or maybe it is Stevens.

By the way, is that a fawn Federation in your avatar Fatdutchman? I considered getting one but ended up with the carbon grey, which I love. If I ever get another one it will be a fawn.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll be curious to see that hat when you get it.
Depending on how old it is, it could be a very
fine hat.

In the meantime, concentrate on my avatar...

...not that it worked for me...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Fatdutchman said:
Just got this "5X Beaver" hat by Bailey off ebay. I see great things in it's future.... I think it shall be my entry application for both the "Diamond authority" and the "Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon"... ;)

81005308_tp.jpg

81005404_tp.jpg

This one had been up at least twice with no bidders. I was the only one this time. I think 'cause it has a relatively narrow brim (looks 3")...and it's brown. I see it's Fedora potential, however...

Man, I gotta quit buying all these d@m hats... I'm also bidding on three more soon! It's a freakin' sickness....

I guess the good thing is, that these hats, though of good quality, are fairly inexpensive. The bad thing is that shipping them is might near as expensive as the hats are!!! :eek:

That hat might make a nice Spanish American War "Lemon Squeezer".
It's looking to have the distressed part down pat.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Retrofashion, that is a tawny fawn Akubra Federation in my avatar.

Well, I got yet another hat already (a gray Stetson, rather similar to the Bailey) and I'm bidding on TWO more right now. Seriously, this will be the last for me for some time. I have planned in my mind several hats that I want to do for myself. If I get these last ones, that will fill the bill for all of them.

I'm the kind of person that when I come across something that suits me, I HATE to pass it up, because who knows if something like it will ever come my way again...

Lets see, I have these hats coming to me, a fawn Akubra Campdraft in a couple of months, an Adventurebilt....

Great color

I'd love to find one like yours. I have a brown Resistol that I tried to convert to a fedora, but it really didn't look that great after the conversion. It went back to a cowboy hat that I wear down at the farm in Virginia and when it's snowing here. All my ORs and my one Resistol San Antonio all have the "Cattleman's" or Alpine crown and the front brim down ala fedora. I guess I'll have to watch for one similar to yours. BTW, what's the crown height on the Bailey? It looks a bit tall.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I'd say it looks about 5 3/4" or so when open. Don't have it yet, but it's on its way.

In comparison, the chestnut Resistol on my other thread had a 6" - 6 1/4" open crown.

Bebop

Practically Family
I had this hat on my watch list but never bid on it. :eusa_doh: Went out for a while and came back to see the auction had ended. Looks like it has potential. I'm glad you got it. I am interested to hear what it's like.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
Retrofashion, that is a tawny fawn Akubra Federation in my avatar.

I thought so. I'm really liking my Federation and I would really like a fawn one too. Maybe in the future.

GentlemanFarmer said:
I'd love to find one like yours. I have a brown Resistol that I tried to convert to a fedora, but it really didn't look that great after the conversion. It went back to a cowboy hat that I wear down at the farm in Virginia and when it's snowing here. All my ORs and my one Resistol San Antonio all have the "Cattleman's" or Alpine crown and the front brim down ala fedora. I guess I'll have to watch for one similar to yours. BTW, what's the crown height on the Bailey? It looks a bit tall.

Are those hats really cowboy hats? They seem to have a too narrow brim to be a cowboy hat in my humble opinion.

You see photos of LBJ and Truman wearing them with a "flat" brim or very slightly upward edge all-round(that's what they have right out of the box). I also remember, as a kid in SE New Mexico, older fellas at the Co-Op or feed store with maybe a light roll-up along the front brim. It just was the style before what we think of as a "cowboy hat" came along. I like "western fashion" or perhaps better, "western fedora".

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I think...

...this hat has real potential either as is cleaned up, or as a fedora with a different bash. Good utility color too. I could definitely see it with a new ribbon.

Please do post some final pictures.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Fatdutchman said:
...I think it shall be my entry application for both the "Diamond authority" and the "Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon"...

...I see it's Fedora potential, however...

Then don't forget to also add it to The Conversion Corral, so it can live with your Jimmy Pierce conversion. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy