Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Ordered My Aero 1930s Cossack

sammy

New in Town
Hello from a new member! This is my first post on TFL. After reading many encouraging posts on various Aero jackets, I pulled the trigger today and ordered the 1930's Cossack jacket with the following details:
Vintage brown horsehide
No button closure at collar
Straight hem at bottom instead of angled
Inside zippered left breast pocket.
Cotton tartan lining
Nametag on inside lower hem

Since I am short, trim, and with an athletic build (36 chest, 28 waist), I thought that the 1930s Cossack would be the best style and fit for my build. Will at Aero concurred and said that it was the perfect style of jacket for someone of my size. I should receive it in about 4-5 weeks and can hardly wait! Since I also ride (Vespa GTS 250ie), this should be a great riding jacket as well.

To all you Aero experts, feel free to chime in if you feel that I have either missed or should change anything in my order. I based the sleeve length on my dress shirt sleeve (32"), and the back length of 24" on an older jacket that fits me well (Lost Worlds Ryder jacket size 36). At 24", the jacket falls at my hips, which I hope is also the appropriate length for the Cossack.

Thanks!

Welcome,sammy
The cossack is a great jacket..and I think that you will like the vintage brown HH. If you wear a 32 shirtsleeve..I would suggest adding an inch to the jacket sleeve.
Here's a pic of my vintage brown '30s HalfBelt for comparison. The two styles are similar.....

100_0412.jpg

100_0414.jpg

HD

sammy

New in Town
HoosierDaddy,
Thanks for the feedback. Nice jacket you have there. My 32" sleeve length includes an inch or two of slack. When the cuff is unbuttoned, the sleeve falls just above my thumb knuckle. I wouldn't want the jacket's sleeve to be any longer than that. Do you think I should still add an inch to the jacket's sleeve length?

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

I would recommend installing a bi-swing back. The Cossack cuffs are much narrower than the ones on most Aero jackets, so if you reach forward (to drive a car, or wash your hands), the sleeves can't slide up your arms. With a bi-swing back, reaching will be much easier. I elected not to install the bi-swing on my Cossack because I wanted a clean look. I ended up selling it, and buying a Highwayman, because it was too constraining.

felix03

One of the Regulars
Sammy,

Welcome to a fellow rider (aprilia Mojito custom 150 for me) and fellow future Aero owner. I put in the order for the brown Cafe Racer in FQHH on Sept 24.

Make sure there's no misunderstanding regarding sleeve length. The typical shirt sleeve length on a dress shirt is measured from the base of the neck to the wrist, which is the length you gave them. I gave them a measurement of 25" from shoulder seam to end of cuff (I'm also a 32 dress shirt sleeve length).

What size did you end up getting?

Careful...my shirtsleeve measurement is 34"....the buckskin colored HalfBelt pictured has a 25" sleeve.
I ride a motorcycle and my MC jacket has a bi-swing back with 25 1/2" sleeve length.
HD

sammy

New in Town
Thanks for all the feeback guys.

Felix03,
I'm assuming that the people at Aero know their stuff and that when I told them my shirt sleeve length, they understood that it was from the yoke (mid shoulder at base of neck) to the cuff.

I ordered a 36 chest. This is my normal jacket size. I have a Lost Worlds Ryder jacket in a 36, which fits me very well and used it as a guide.

gimmesomeshelte,
Thanks for the idea. I had not considered a bi-swing back. It makes sense and I will check with Will at Aero and get his opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran