Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just received my ELC Werber

Coffee

New in Town
After considering several jackets I decided to go for Eastman Werber. Just thought I would post some very quick and very dirty pics of my new jacket before I´m off to work. I´ll try and get some better pictures later. At this time I´m just looking for some feedback on fit.

Werber03.jpg

Werber02.jpg

Werber01.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
First impressions...

Overall, I like it, you got yourself a good one!!:eusa_clap

When you have a moment, and it's not too much trouble, go outside and get some 'good shots' in the natural light, so that we can share the pleasure of this baby with you!!:) (I know you rushed these ones off in your excitement, exactly the sort of thing I'd do too!!).

Bit of tunnelling on the sleeves (that's when the sleeve is a tad longer than your arm, so the wrist knits start tunnelling back into the sleeve). Some folk like it, some don't. But bearing in mind that these were originally military issue and tossed at new aircrew, you will see photos of tunnelling, and so it's an orginal feature. I get it too (my little short Irish arms [huh] ) and sometimes get the maker to take an inch off. But it's neither here nor there [huh]

Shoulders are a great fit to my to my eye :eusa_clap as is the main body. Nice short body (not as short as an Aero, but then this is a Werber) and the overall fit is looking sharp!!:eusa_clap

What leather did you go for in this (eg: Warhorse? smooth?). What zip is on it? (eg: NOS Talon?).

PHOTO REQUEST PLEASE...close ups of pockets, knits, zip, label, collar. And outside shots of you FRONT/BACK/SIDE PROFILE...(only if you want to, but we'll all love you the more for it!!)

Congratulatons!! :eusa_clap What's your thoughts on it?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
In terms of fit, it's up to you how you "feel" in it.

It looks good to me, and I know ELC go for traditional "WWII fit". So remember that these jackets with their "WWII fit" are different from more modern, baggier fittings. Also remember that flight jackets also don't (usually) have a lot of length in the body, as the last thing a pilot wants, stuffed into a fighter cockpit is to have a jacket bunching up round his stomach and annoying him.

To me it looks good, how do you feel about it?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, this is the 33-1729-P, so it's actually a pre-WWII fit...slenderer still thru the shoulders and chest.

Is it my impression or do most of this particular repro sell outside the USA? And is that because you have to go thru HPA to order? I keep reading about their screwing up orders.

Coffee

New in Town
Thanks you for your replys.

This Werber is the basic version sold by ELC (no special requests whatsoever) and is my first A-2 and first real leather jacket. It´s made of Warhorse hide with Hookless zipper.

Having previously worn only a very light weight and cheap suede jacket couple of years ago, you can imagine my surprise when I received this jacket. I was under the impression that these jackets would be very light and leather very thin and supple (which it is, I´m sure, in comparison). When I first threw this jacket on, it felt like an armor compared to my previous leather jacket. A month ago I was actually thinking of ordering an Aero made of FQHH so a bit of stiffness was actually welcome. Fit-vise I was a bit concerned about the lenght but now feel it´s just enough. With but an hours wear this thing has already taken some shape and the body is looking much better already. With a bit more wear, I´m sure that this thing is going to turn out to be one great jacket.

I will post some additional pictures, taken with a little more care and attention, in couple of days when I find some time.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
I love mu Werber too!

I'm glad your pleased with your Werber, I just love mine. Do you mind me asking what size you normally take. I ask because the Werber is supposed to be a tighter fitting jacket than their other ones. I normally take a size 38, and I was told by Gary Eastman to order a size 38 in their Werber. I notice you have quite a bit of room in the underarm area. Is it that you like a looser fitting jacket or do you feel it might be a tad bit on the large size. The sleeves are ok, I like mine shorter, but yours are fine if you are comfortable with them. Here are some pics of the jacket.

CIMG5059-1.jpg

CIMG4591.jpg

CIMG4594.jpg

CIMG4603.jpg

CIMG4602.jpg

CIMG4600.jpg

CIMG4598.jpg

CIMG4609.jpg

CIMG4608.jpg

CIMG4605.jpg

Coffee

New in Town
I ordered size 44. My suit jacket however is 42. I agree that the body could be a bit tighter fitting but then again shoulders are just fine in this one.

I feel the photos make this problem seem more clear. That, or I´m making up excuses for not having to return my jacket. Shouldn´t portraits with wide angle -lens.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Well, take lots of pictures and look at them good and make sure you're happy with the jacket 'cause that's all that matters. As several have said in the past, there jackets were not always the "correct" size for the airmen. They were literally "thrown" at them as Paddy said with no regard to fit. Kinda reminds me of when I was in boot camp. The guy throws a pair of crackerjack pants at me I believe they were a size 33 (mind you I was all of 110 pounds back in '82) and I normally wore a 27. I remember he laughed and said I'd grow into them. Well, I sure did 24 years later....lol lol

Bottom line, as long as you like it that's all that matters.:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Estevan said:
As several have said in the past, there jackets were not always the "correct" size for the airmen. They were literally "thrown" at them as Paddy said with no regard to fit.
A cherished legend, one assumes...you would think with the skeleton air force we had in 1933 they would have had time to ask the guy his size. Unless tradition prevailed, and there was a big crowd of guys trading coats around in front of the counter.

If I may channel the spirits of Frank Capra and "Spig" Wead for a moment...
"Hey Red, that thing's falling off ya! Here, let's swap." "Ain't the sleeves too long?" "Aaa, that's easy to fix. Rest of it looks keen!" "Ok Lefty, I guess she'll do...how's that one for ya?" "Couldn't be better. I say let's call it a trade." "It's a trade!" "Swell Red...don't let those cuffs drag now." "Aww git out!"

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Having talked to a vet from WW2 he told me they asked him his size and gave him a jacket that sort of fit. When he got to England he bought one off a guy for 20 dollars (don't know what that would be in today's money but then it was a lot) and he finally got a jacket that fit him right. Don't know what he did with the other one (probably sold it to someone for the 20 he spent getting the right size). Interesting guy his OPS officer was Jimmy Stewart. How about that one.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
A cherished legend, one assumes...you would think with the skeleton air force we had in 1933 they would have had time to ask the guy his size. Unless tradition prevailed, and there was a big crowd of guys trading coats around in front of the counter.

If I may channel the spirits of Frank Capra and "Spig" Wead for a moment...
"Hey Red, that thing's falling off ya! Here, let's swap." "Ain't the sleeves too long?" "Aaa, that's easy to fix. Rest of it looks keen!" "Ok Lefty, I guess she'll do...how's that one for ya?" "Couldn't be better. I say let's call it a trade." "It's a trade!" "Swell Red...don't let those cuffs drag now." "Aww git out!"

Maybe, but the correct size was not always available I assume. Hence the reason for trades until you could get the right size. I dunno, wasn't there, but looking at the photos from that era, it sure looked like size didn't make a hoot of difference. You get a range of fits. A mystery indeed.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I can remember being standing in from of the QM Sgt...

And he would look at me, and say, "you look to be about a size 42, here you go!" and throw a shirt or woolly pully (jumper) at me (or whatever!).

More often than not, they got it pretty well right. When they didn't, well funny how kit seemed to wander about until it found an owner that it fit [huh]

tomsk

New in Town
I think it looks bang on. I get tunnelling for a few days/weeks on Eastman A-2s but the sleeves start folding and wrinkiling at the wrist and the wool cuffs slacken a bit (even quicker if you go out in the rain) and then it's gone. Same every time. Also wartime A-2s obviously fit in many ways, tight, baggy, trim, roomy. Any cross section of photos will show that. The Eastman Golden Book has a good selection including a couple of Mustang pilots shaking hands who have clearly gone for the laid-back baggy look, not Avirex baggy but still a lot bigger than yours....

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own a variety of original A2s and an ELC Werber. The Werber is a size 40 and the originals are size 42 or 44. I actually like wearing A2s of differing sizes according to the mood I'm in! I have long arms so whilst an original size 40 fits my size 38 chest the sleeves are too short. I prefer them on the longer side as on my Aero 21996. Here are some pics, starting with the Werber.

Werber2.jpg

Size 42 original Dubow

Picture164a.jpg

Size 42 Rough Wear 1401P

Picture166a.jpg

United Sheeplined size 42, and fits like a modern 42!

Picture167a.jpg

Un-named contract 27753 in size 44

Picture168a.jpg

Aero 21996 size 44

Picture022a.jpg

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Try to avoid getting the wool cuffs wet.

the wool cuffs slacken a bit (even quicker if you go out in the rain)

Remember that wool tends to shrink, so I would not recommend getting them too wet if you can help it. If the wool knit shrinks then it will pull and make the jacket look bunched up, especially the waistband. This is even more important if you are trying to do this famed "hot water treatment" that is so wildly discussed on other forums. I simply do not recommend it at all. Wear your jacket, don't baby it, but still be aware that it can be damaged and they are not bulletproof. :eek:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I never tire of seeing those jackets Andrew.

Splendid collection!! Hope the newly refurbished Aero (with the rust knits) got a lot of attention at Flying Legends last w/end!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
Splendid collection!! Hope the newly refurbished Aero (with the rust knits) got a lot of attention at Flying Legends last w/end!

Thanks Paddy, Yes the Aero did turn a few heads at Flying Legends!

tomsk

New in Town
Estevan, I wasn't really recommending bathing the wool cuffs but being that it's a jacket and sometimes it rains, they do get wet and this seems to irradicate tunnelling as bit. I've never ever had a cuff or waistband shrink. If you soaked them and then heat-dried them they would but that's why people wash wool clothes at low temperatures and air dry them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy