Just when you thought you had seen it all . . . (Warning: Not for the fainthearted)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Superfluous, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Moontanning

Moontanning One of the Regulars

2. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

The rather generic Carhartt chore coat does not warrant inclusion in this thread. On the other hand, the $1,015 price tag -- you read that correctly -- charged by Junya Watanabe for a cotton Carhartt chore coat, with a couple of additional zippers added by JW, is absurd: https://shopcanoeclub.com/collections/junya-watanabe/products/jacket-deep-beige . Of note, a chore coat purchased directly from Carhartt costs $90: https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-outerwear/Chore-Coat-103825 .

[​IMG]

3. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

you sure there is no HUGE text like

LIVE FOOL
    DIE POOR

or somethin like that on the back?

red devil and Monitor like this.
  4. Moontanning

Moontanning One of the Regulars

AeroFan_07 and Benny Holiday like this.
  5. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

At the same time, I've been very disappointed in modern Carhartt offerings. Their clothing seems more marketed towards the "white collars thinking they're blue" fashion market than it does towards actual blue collar works. Their real nail in the coffin with me was when they discontinued their iconic Detroit duck jacket and then came out with a far inferior "upgraded" version.

It almost looks like a leather straight jacket.

6. Monitor

Monitor

Marc mndt likes this.
  7. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's super cool! Look at that beautiful sheepskin. Plus those patches. 1951 city championship. I'd wear that.

8. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

I've had a bad day, so you are all going to have a bad day, have some of this:

leather1.jpg leather2.jpg leather3.jpg

9. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

The first one comes in handy when walking your poodle . . .

jonbuilder and AeroFan_07 like this.
  10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

https://doublerivetleather.com/products/full-grain-horween-cxl-leather-jacket
    just horween cxl jacket, not even lined, not even finished with leather facing, the button hole is just slashed with pocket knife, not even burnished, not even rolled or hammered on the seam fold ... it's like when I visit my leather tailor to try on the leather shell of half finished jacket, and I say "yep I have it this way no need to finish it". :confused:o_O:rolleyes::eek:
    [​IMG]
    I can understand the pursuit of simplicity... but $5700 what?

and a mystery ... how to take off the jacket since the hand is far bigger than the cuff, and it has no zipper or button? hmm:confused:o_O:eek:?

11. Monitor

Monitor

I don't hate this. But what bothers is, while they're obviously taking cues from MA+/Carpe Diem, Saberi, etc., the issue is that they're neither so this kinda price is wholly unjustified. You can't just copy something very high fashion and automatically assume you're entitled to get the same kind of money for it.

MA+
    [​IMG]

navetsea likes this.
  12. Monitor

Monitor

But in reality, it's this trash why this hobby is becoming seriously idiotic.

Fine Creek "Hank" Western Shirt.
    [​IMG]

So read the description...

"The Hank takes inspiration from early style Levis & Wrangler western shirts and is cut from 1mm thick sheepskin leather..."
    The Hank doesn't take inspiration from Levi's and Wrangler; it's a pure copy of Levi's & Wrangler. And there is nothing "early" about it. It's a denim shirt. It looks like a denim shirt. These shirts always looked the same. So the entire first sentence of the product description is a lie.

But it gets worse...

"...although at first glance it looks and feels similar to deerskin. The subtleties of deerskin are apparent in the sheepskin used here; the leather has a matte finish and no shine as such, in comparison to the horsehide we are familiar with."
    What does that even mean? Do they not understand the words they use? None of this means anything at all. Deerskin is apparent in sheepskin? It doesn't look like horsehide? What?

"Due to the nature of sheepskin and in particular the leather Fine Creek select make the shirt incredibly easy to wear. Soft to the touch as well as the finish the Hank is a joy to wear and will be a standout piece for years to come."
    No. You're lying. The reason why this shirt is "incredibly" easy to wear is because it's made out of sheepskin. That's all there is to it.

So basically they made a cheap-ass, thin, lightweight sheepskin shirt - like Zara this year - only they slapped $2,350 price-tag to it.

And someone's gonna buy it.

13. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Say what!? LOL

I guess the people who buy this want to be fooled.

14. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

His version is nowhere that artistic to be comparable, to me it looks like someone who completely miss the point and end up with weird unfinished jacket look. And the sleeve post is creasing badly from the front totally defeat the claim of great bespoke pattern blabbered about. Like some dude suddenly grab a paint brush make random stuff and call it abstract.

red devil and Monitor like this.
  15. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

That neck hole is also huge yet with sticking out at weird angle undersized collar, maybe thats from their own creativity juice.

16. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Lol
    You’re right Robert.
    I had a bad day, just took til Saturday to get here.
    These remind me of the joke:
    A poodle and a bullfighter and a biker elf went into a bar......
    See!! Lol
    B

17. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

This gives new meaning to the idea of literally "wearing a hide." You could pretend to be a cow, or horse. For a hefty price, of course :)

navetsea likes this.
  18. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

they all wear a mullet hair?

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  19. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

it's like saying, I don't want to invest much on the tools and machinery because handcrafting is the way , so I hand sew this with the awl of my camping tool, and since I'm so unskilled in doing it, took me 50+ hours to do this wavy poorly done hemming, now you have to reimburse my hardwork and my bleeding thumb with $5700 not including shipping, because correctly packing this would cost $1000, at least.

red devil, AeroFan_07 and Monitor like this.
  20. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The real mystery for me is how, Hannibal Lecter, pictured above, wears an unfinished, poor fitting and over-priced jacket but sticks to well made, of strong denim, classic jeans. Why isn't he wearing, overpriced, distressed jeans that would obviously compliment his jacket?
    Here's a nice pair that I could recommend to him. Amiri Distressed Jeans: £950
    amiri.jpg

red devil likes this.