Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Keeper* leather utility jacket photos.....

ron521

One of the Regulars
This may be an appropriate time to ask a question regarding the freedom of motion of a Highwayman. Since the jacket appears to lack either gussets or an action back, how restrictive is it compared with, say, a G1?

aball

New in Town
I recently sold my Highwayman and ordered a custom one that should be here in March. I find it is a fairly full cut. For example, I find the Vanson Enfields have a snug fit in comparison, and have no more freedom of motion than the Highwayman despite their bi-swing back. The Highwayman simply felt like a 46 instead of a 44. I'll see how the custom fit goes. I have a Schott A2 that feels about the same in the shoulders as the same-number-size Highwayman does.

There are some very nice jacket pics on this thread. I'll be adding some of mine in the next day or so.

Don't have a highwayman, but a well fitting G1 is hard to beat. I love all my Aeros and other jackets, but my USWings G1 is a favorite. Look at the GW M-422 767fo posted. pure beauty and I guarantee, comfortable.

I got an idea..!
Why not start a thread showing pics of strictly biker type jackets...and then another for the more military styled. That way the threads are easy to scroll through for pics of the specific type jackets.
HD

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I got an idea..!
Why not start a thread showing pics of strictly biker type jackets...and then another for the more military styled. That way the threads are easy to scroll through for pics of the specific type jackets.
HD
Sorry I am not the fashion expert you all are. What the heck is a utility jacket? It obviously is not a jacket used for utility, so whats the definition!

Sorry I am not the fashion expert you all are. What the heck is a utility jacket? It obviously is not a jacket used for utility, so whats the definition!

No reason for a hostile attitude...
I'm no 'fashion expert'(could care less about 'fashion')...and you may disagree with my opinion that I posted on the first page of this thread....but I don't want to turn this into a multi post argument over just what I meant my thread to be...although some may want to take it in that direction.
Here's my past post from the first page of this thread:
*** 'Well I suppose leather jackets/coats that aren't heavily military or Biker oriented...but more civilian in nature. How does that sound..?'***
Ya know..what may seem simple to me..might not so much to a few others. However..it did seem to me that a thread..or threads dedicated to specific leather jackets might be easier to find and navigate for future reference than a jumble of all types all in one. We do already have many of those. That's why I suggested a seperate thread for each kind.
I dunno..a leather G-1..A-2..etc. seem obvious military type to me. A leather jacket made with all/most of the features for MC riding seems just as obvious..to me. There are crossovers but with more civilian style..that I would claim as a utility style civilian..'30s..40's..50's HalfBelt..Hwymn...Bootlegger...and longer leather coat versions. These have been claimed to be every day 'utility' leather jackets. Military is most often discribed as military. Biker or MC leather jackets seem to fall into their own purpose or category...to me. Most of us wear our 'utility' civilian style leather jackets for more than just photos or show. They too are a working jacket for everyday use and wear. A thread offering photos for these type jackets can be helpful in showing the different styles of repro jackets..or originals.
If you are really so intent on arguing the concept...why not start a 'I want to argue about what a 'utility jacket really is' thread...and free this one up to display 'keepers' of non military..or not expressly dedicated biker leather jackets.
Fair enough?
HD

Last edited:

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Hoosier,,its the season of goodwill,,i dont think the guy was being hostile,just asking a straight question,,i may be wrong tho :p,,some great jackets on show here,,,however we describe them,,peter

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
You started a great thread Hoosier,,@ no need to apologise, we are all mates here,,,i love hearing everyones different takes on things,seeing their jackets etc,,just wish i could resist the urge everytime something takes my fancy :eusa_doh:,,,Peter

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hoosier's definition of a utility jacket is on the money. I always thought a utility jacket was a civilian jacket worn by workmen. Utility jackets can be canvas too. However, many metal workers, railway men and cab drivers in the late 1940's wore A2's as a utility jacket. I guess the definition might also consider how a jacket is intended to be worn.

I asked the question up front. I think if the thread were read it would have been clear. But I have at times not read an entire thread only to post and look like a dope. I try not to any more lol

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yeah..you're right Peter! Guess I dreaded seeing what could be a helpful thread descend into another debate...but I surely didn't help much. I do apologise.
Thanks
HD
No offence taken Hoosier! I should have realized you were talking more 30s through 50s work leather jackets. We all learn at different speeds, and some of us need repeated blows with a 2X4 to get the point! Although, a lot of the guys wore their issue leather jackets for work after the war, thats why I never inherited my dads B3.

pauleway

Practically Family
My favorite Keeper utilility jacket is my Roughneck/Oil Driller jacket from Cockpit. Thick goatskin and nice pebble grain. Leather is soft and just slightly weathered at the edges. It's by far my most go to jacket!

My favorite Keeper utilility jacket is my Roughneck/Oil Driller jacket from Cockpit. Thick goatskin and nice pebble grain. Leather is soft and just slightly weathered at the edges. It's by far my most go to jacket!

I would have bought one but the price is too high for me for an off the rack jacket. They are very nice though and I keep an eye on eBay for them.
Any pics of you wearing it?

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
How do those Roughneck/Oil Driller jackets run? I am a 42/44 in Aero, Vanson, etc. Might be worth a try. Thx.

pauleway

Practically Family
How do those Roughneck/Oil Driller jackets run? I am a 42/44 in Aero, Vanson, etc. Might be worth a try. Thx.

They run a little tight. I wear a 42/Short in a sport jacket. I am 5'7" and 165 Lbs. I always wear a sweater or sweatshirt under my jacket and I have a size Large in this jacket. It felt a little tight at first, until I wore it for a while, then it conformed to my body and now it feels very good. It all depends on personal preference.

pauleway

Practically Family
Do not have a camera and not too savvy about posting pictures. I am working on both and hope to post some pics of my small jacket collection some day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy