Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith Brothers Hats & Caps

Cigarband

A-List Customer
KEITHHATS.jpg

1903 graphic billhead for Keith Brothers & Co. manufacturers and jobbers of hats, caps, straw goods, gloves and mittens of Chicago Illinois. Left side has a graphic of a lurking Tiger and states that the company is the only seller of the Tiger Hat and sole proprietors of the Celebrated Champion Hat.

Keith Brothers & Co. – In 1854 Edson Keith settled in Chicago first obtaining employment in a dry goods stores. In 1856, he was a salesman and collector with the firm Benedict, Mallory & Farman, wholesale dealers in hats, caps and furs. In 1860, he started Keith & Faxon – in the hat and cap business. This firm was run by Edson Keith, OR Keith and AE Faxon and is subsequently became Keith, Faxon & Co. In 1865, Faxon retired and Elbridge Keith came into the firm of Keith Bros. In 1883, the firm again changed to Edson Keith & Co. However, Keith Bros & Co. still existed. Edson’s son Walter Woodruff Keith would become a grain trader in Chicago.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1898 Keith Brothers #1

1898KeithBrothersCoTheChampionHat3-1.jpg

1898 Keith Brothers #2

1898KeithBrothersCoTheChampionHat2-1.jpg

1898 Keith Brothers #3

1898KeithBrothersCoTheChampionHat-1.jpg

Note the "Champion" Logo. This is the only ad I have seen that actually has a picture of the Chamption logo made by the Keith Brothers.

What would today be called a Homburg. Fedoras and Homburgs were pretty much the same thing in that time period (you also see them called Alpine). Fedora is an American designation and Homburg American / UK.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
In terms of advertising, the "Tiger Special" only comes up between 1905 and 1921. It doesn't necessarily seem to be a specific model in their Tiger hat line, as there is a Tiger Special Derby on the early side, and soft hats throughout the rest of the range. Perhaps "Special" is more of a quality designation from Keith Bros.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Just discovered this thread today, thanks to Moe and Alan.

Here's some pics of one I have. I'm guessing from the stingy brim it's probably from the 60s
cb7819892aa239d291445889f30925d1.jpg

f6ddb42632dfdbbecf602b106d3dd2ff.jpg

de924cbb87b4b890a66cdafc15d54aaa.jpg

It doesn't say brothers anywhere, but there is a KB in the logo above where it says Keith, so I'm presuming this is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto