Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith Brothers Hats & Caps

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
Well I don't suppose anyone here might be an expert on Keith hats, but I did some research and all mentions of Keith hats vanish by the mid-60's in newspapers. So a good guess would be that they went out of business in the mid-60's.

Another thing that I noticed was how inexpensive they were sold. Most stores listed them cheaper than Champ hats, which were already in the lower-middle class price range of hats (I'm not dissing Champ or Keith quality, I'm just stating facts of price and clientele at the time).

Well I don't suppose anyone here might be an expert on Keith hats, but I did some research and all mentions of Keith hats vanish by the mid-60's in newspapers. So a good guess would be that they went out of business in the mid-60's.

Another thing that I noticed was how inexpensive they were sold. Most stores listed them cheaper than Champ hats, which were already in the lower-middle class price range of hats (I'm not dissing Champ or Keith quality, I'm just stating facts of price and clientele at the time).

Thanks for reviving this thread. It is very hard to be an expert on Keith Bros. given the tiny sampling of hats that have surfaced here. If you have one or if you have advertising images, please add photos to this thread. Dale's example of a 1960s hat is fascinating as there is almost a half century between it and the other examples posted. Did they remain under independent ownership all that time?

Price was always a key driver of business for the smaller hat companies in their competition with Stetson and HCA brands.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[URL=http://s522.photobucket.com/user/CWON1/media/IMG_0208_zpsyftsltbe.jpeg.html]
IMG_0205_zpsdnrwb9cj.jpeg
[/URL]

Last edited:
This label is from the lid of a round white paper John B. Stetson box that belonged to Moon. According to the Keith bio posted above by buler the name of Keith Brothers & Co was formed in 1887, & judging from the invoice posted by Cigarband was still in existence in 1903.

IMG_6580.JPG

From the bio I put together this timeline of the companies:

1858 - Keith & Faxon, 49 Lake St.

1860 - Keith, Faxon & Co. 45-47 Lake St.

1864 - 68-70 Wabash Ave.

1865 - Keith Brothers

1871 - fire, resumed business at stables on Prairie Ave. Built temp bldg at Dearborn Park & Michigan Ave.

10/1872 - 246-252 Madison St.

1879 - O.R. Keith & Co. Wabash Ave & Monroe St.

1884 - consolidated into Edison Keith & Co.

1887 - Keith Brothers & Co.

1903 - 239 & 241 Jackson St.

JDB

New in Town
Hi Everyone, I am new here but found this thread while searching for some information about this new hat I acquired. Could you help me with some more information it says Keith on the inside. Does anyone know what era it is from? What is the snap on the side of the hat for? Anyone know what it may be worth? I have an upcoming wedding to pay for so trying to sell some things to help pay for it.
Thank you so much for your time!

Attachments

• 20201015_123120.jpg
    20201015_123120.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 168
  • 20201015_123152.jpg
    20201015_123152.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 161
  • 20201015_123209.jpg
    20201015_123209.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
  • 20201015_123215.jpg
    20201015_123215.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 183
Hi Everyone, I am new here but found this thread while searching for some information about this new hat I acquired. Could you help me with some more information it says Keith on the inside. Does anyone know what era it is from? What is the snap on the side of the hat for? Anyone know what it may be worth? I have an upcoming wedding to pay for so trying to sell some things to help pay for it.
Thank you so much for your time!

Your “Keith” is one of the many hat brands made by Langenberg / Beaver Brand. I don’t know if Keith Bros. sold/merged with them, but I suspect they are completely separate brands that happen to share the Keith name.

Most hats made by Beaver Brand are less expensive models made to undercut the prices of the “big name” hat companies. They are often well-made hats, but they are rarely very valuable. Describe it well, take good photos, and list it on eBay: the market will tell you what it’s worth.

JDB

New in Town
Your “Keith” is one of the many hat brands made by Langenberg / Beaver Brand. I don’t know if Keith Bros. sold/merged with them, but I suspect they are completely separate brands that happen to share the Keith name.

Most hats made by Beaver Brand are less expensive models made to undercut the prices of the “big name” hat companies. They are often well-made hats, but they are rarely very valuable. Describe it well, take good photos, and list it on eBay: the market will tell you what it’s worth.

___ Thank you so much for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko