Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Key Largo movie's hat.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
certanly a lot of you have seen "Key Largo" Boogie's movie, then, I'm looking for an hat like the hat wored by the old man, Bacall's father in law...I don't remember the name, I'm not able to put here the pics...
Anyone could rember that model?
Now, any advice?
I'm looking for a not exensive straw hat with large brims (7 cm. or more ) for outdoor and casual use.
I'm ansious, many thanks.

God bless you.

Riccardo.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
this one?

11629884_gal.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
It's been a while ... but didn't Barrymore wear a sort of planter fedora in that movie?

You can get lucky with "golf" hats that are sort of planter looking, but for the real thing, it won't be cheap, unless you find a good old one somewhere.
You used to be able to find old panamas so easy
I went through an unforgiveable number when I first started working at the paper after college. They were absolutely great for summer wear and tough, but they don't last forever.
I guess I never thought about them disappearing, but around here at least, they just don't turn up any more.
Pity.
The real ones are sure not cheap ... but what is?

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
PS

I did a quick check and Barrymore did wear a planter panama.
About the only cheap version today would probably be one of the finer weave golf hats at discount stores. Sometimes they can be found, reshaped a little and a solid ribbon band put on and will look "something" like the one you're talking about.
Hope that helps

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi to all,
certanly a lot of you have seen "Key Largo" Boogie's movie, then, I'm looking for an hat like the hat wored by the old man, Bacall's father in law...I don't remember the name, I'm not able to put here the pics...
Anyone could rember that model?
Now, any advice?
I'm looking for a not exensive straw hat with large brims (7 cm. or more ) for outdoor and casual use.
I'm ansious, many thanks.

God bless you.

Riccardo.

ALWAYS give Panama Bob an e-mail and I would be sure he could set you up with just the hat you are looking for ! He currently carries a model called the "Gambler" in a Brisa weave Cuenca Panama @ $22.00 US though it has a telescope crease it does have the style of brim you want. Crown creases can be reblocked. :)

http://www.panamas.biz/cuenca.html

Last edited:

riccardo

Practically Family
ALWAYS give Panama Bob an e-mail and I would be sure he could set you up with just the hat you are looking for ! He currently carries a model called the "Gambler" in a Brisa weave Cuenca Panama @ $22.00 US though it has a telescope crease it does have the style of brim you want. Crown creases can be reblocked. :)

http://www.panamas.biz/cuenca.html

Hi to all, my friends,
yes yes yes, the hat is shown in both the pics: Barrymore's hat.
Many thanks to all for your help, I've just sent a mail to Bob...I've seen the sweetwater, but I go for Gambler too.
Many thanks.
God bless you and your families.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi to all....
I was quite sure he was her father in law....

I can't swear to it, but thought for sure he was her father. They seemed to have a close relationship, too close for in-laws. On another subject, I thought that the sheriff's hat in the movie was pretty good too--wide brimmed. It seemed to stand up to a Florida rain also, which is something that straw hats and Panamas are not noted for.

DougC

Practically Family
Truer words were never spoken about straw not standing up to heavy rain--I got stuck in a rain storm last summer with a straw cowboy hat. Water was coming down my face and back in sheets--the open weave vents didn't help much either!!!

I can't swear to it, but thought for sure he was her father. They seemed to have a close relationship, too close for in-laws. On another subject, I thought that the sheriff's hat in the movie was pretty good too--wide brimmed. It seemed to stand up to a Florida rain also, which is something that straw hats and Panamas are not noted for.

I believe the "old man" was the father of Lauren Bacall's deceased husband. Both had Temple for the last name. A lot of good straw hats in that movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy