Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen knives

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In Brooklyn to this very day, there's a guy in a green panel truck who drives all over the boro (all 77 square miles) ringing his bell. When he stops at your block, you just bring your knives to him and he sharpens them. If you miss him one time, don't worry, you'll see him again in a few weeks.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sharpening a razor is very different from sharpening a kitchen-knife. While the angle is more or less the same, the difference is that with a razor, you have the razor-spine there to guide your hand and dictate the proper angle. You don't have that with a kitchen-knife. That's what makes sharpening the latter so much harder.

Either way, it's not necessary to get a kitchen-knife as sharp as a razor. You're not shaving the cow with it before you take it to the slaughterhouse. So I can see the coffee-cup thing being a pretty effective way to sharpen the knives. I may try it myself.

rue

I don't have one, but on the subject of knives, does anyone have one of these in their kitchens?

5406802_1.jpg

For those who don't know what this is, it's a Victorian-era knife-sharpener. You slot the knives in the top, and then you turn the crank. And that rotates the grindstones inside the sharpener, to sharpen up the blades of your knives.

Somehow I can't help but think, how handy such a thing must be in a kitchen. A pity you can't get them anymore. I am RUBBISH at sharpening anything apart from my razor, so something like that would be invaluable.

I have one of those Shangas!

Here's mine:
IMG_2016.jpg

I've never used it though.

rue

I know that people often stored their knives either in a drawer or in a knife block, but during the golden era a common knife block looked different than they do today. They were more likely to be hung on the wall, and usually only had space for a couple of knives, since that was all most people had. Here's what they looked like.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/il570xn380048758h3v9.jpg/] [/URL]

Something else people would sometimes do---which has recently had a resurgence as a 'trendy' kitchen style---was to hang a long, narrow magnet on the wall over a sink or counter, and keep the knives on it. My Grandmother had one which had been made by my Grandfather in the forties. It was hung high on the wall so little hands couldn't reach.

Also, my Grandmother never needed a knife sharpener, she used to sharpen her knives on the bottom of a teacup. I keep an old teacup on a shelf and run my kitchen blades over it every time I use them. It takes about 30 seconds, and keeps them razor sharp.

That's darling Mabel :)

rue

Both sets of my grandparents were married and set up house in the nineteen-teens. I expect their kitchens were pretty typical of southern kitchens of that era. Their knives were kept in a kitchen counter drawer with the other kitchen stuff. I never saw a knife holder of any kind at either house. And their knives weren't the nice stainless steel ones like we use today. They were mainly wooden handled steel knives that would rust like crowbars if you put them away even slightly damp. I think most were "Old Hickory" brand, but I expect there were other brands, too. I actually have most of their knives now...especially my maternal grandmother's...having inherited them from my parents. I expect many of those knives are now almost one hundred years old.

AF

You are so fortunate Atticus!

It reminds me of Lizzie's cutting board (?) that she inherited :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's easy.

You slot the knives into the top, and then you turn the handle. Turning the crank rotates the grindstones inside the machine and they spin and grind against the edges of your knives, sharpening them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24