Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

knitted hunting socks/hose/stockings

Alon

One of the Regulars
Where can I find over-the-knee socks... FOR MEN

I bought a wonderful pair of plus-twos over eBay but I'm having a heck of a time finding suitable over-the-knee socks. The socks have to be over the knee and not just knee high because there is a small gap in the material where the plus twos' fastner meets the buckle, leaving a bit of thigh just above the knee exposed.

Because the plus twos themselves are checkered, I thought it best to get single colour socks rather than something with a design or pattern, such as argyle. I'd also like to find something thick to stand Canadian weather.

Does anyone have suggestions?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Orvis

Orvis has shooting stockings in three colors. They also have flashes to go with them.
7112HHnatural.jpg

http://www.orvis.com/store/productc...1089&group_id=1605&cat_id=5787&subcat_id=7088

Panache

A-List Customer
Perhaps kilt hose would work? They are designed to be worn fairly long with the tops folded over. I imagine that if you didn't fold them they would be quite long enough. If you have a local Highland wear shop nearby they might be worth checking out.

Cheers

Jamie

mister7

Familiar Face
I have numerous pairs of socks that long, made by Woolrich. They are sold as knicker socks and should be readily available at cross-country skiing stores. I have several solid colors, undyed natural wool and some with snowflake patterns. I have not bought any new ones for a couple of seasons, but if I could find them in New Mexico I bet they are widely distributed. Good luck in your shopping!

ps...my inseam is 37 inches, so if they go over my knees I'm guessing they will be the length you desire. Make sure the foot is big enough as mine have shrunk quite a bit. I have size 9 feet but I get the 11-13 size and they shrink to the right size.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
There are many sutler websites that sell 18th century clothing for reenactors, who also sell inexpensive over the knees socks to wear with breeches. These would be plenty long. I usually order all my little doo-dads and accessories from Smoke & Fire:

http://www.smoke-fire.com/

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
My interest has been piqued...we too have been searching for over the knee socks, with little luck.

I have a couple of questions:

BeBopBaby - I have seen the 18th century reenactor socks, but they have always appeared to be of rather low quality. Do you have any experience with these socks. As we are looking for OTK socks that would be worn on a regular basis and would need to be of substantial weight.

mister7 - You have my attention, as these Woolrich socks you speak of sound almost perfect. However, I have never run across such a thing here in Colorado. And I cannot in fact think of a single cross-country skiing store on the front range. Do you know of any or an alternative that may carry said socks? I would really appreciate a lead, so I can chack them out!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Rachael

A-List Customer
I will have to second the vote for sock dreams. I have been purchasing from them for several years and have always been pleased with their products.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Alon said:
I bought a wonderful pair of plus-twos over eBay but I'm having a heck of a time finding suitable over-the-knee socks. The socks have to be over the knee and not just knee high because there is a small gap in the material where the plus twos' fastner meets the buckle, leaving a bit of thigh just above the knee exposed.

Because the plus twos themselves are checkered, I thought it best to get single colour socks rather than something with a design or , such as argyle. I'd also like to find something thick to stand Canadian weather.

These are mostly argyles, but take a look and see if anything might work. They definitely go above the
http://www.golfknicker.com/cotblenarsoc.html

mister7

Familiar Face
Mrs Merl, I checked online and to my surprise Wooolrich no longer makes Knicker socks, or at least does not list them on their website. I guess my collection is more dear to me than I realized.

I searched online using the term "over the knee socks" (include the quotaton marks) and mostly found socks intended for golfers. I see someone else had put a link above to some golfer socks already. I did find a few socks intended for skiing and snowboarding, but I am guessing that, cosmetically they are not what you want.

As for stores, try REI, they sell a lot of cross-country ski gear. Also, if you go to Boulder, take a look at Neptune Mountaineering. It is the best climbing shop in the entire country, and has many unique odds and ends. Good luck on your shopping quest.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
mister7 - Thank you for the information! Take good care of your socks!! Good OTK socks seem harder and harder to come by these days! (Yeah, as our main hobby is skiing - we have the current ski socks. Though wool, you are right, not quite what one would want cosmetically!) I have heard of Neptune Mountaineering, when in Boulder next time I will go there for sure! Thanks again!

Bugsy

One Too Many
Alon said:

Because the plus twos themselves are checkered, I thought it best to get single colour socks rather than something with a design or pattern, such as argyle. I'd also like to find something thick to stand Canadian weather.

I just received this for those of you that interested in over the knee socks and kickers, go to www.golfknickers. com. They're having a sale.

Plus-Four

New in Town
Socks

Thanks for the links and your advices.

I need some socks too for my vintage linen Plus Four. (20s i think)
It's not cleaned yet. Received it a few weeks ago.

DSC_4739.jpg

Taco.

this_is_the_pla

New in Town
Are you still looking?

Are you still looking for these? I'm about to post quite a number of pair in my new store, The Awesome Avatar -- the-awesome-avatar.auctivacommerce.com . There will be totally new ones in their wrapping ($4.95/pair) and a group of socks that have either been washed and never worn or washed and worn a few times ($2.00/pair). They should be online later today.

Alon said:

Alexi

One of the Regulars
hunting%2Biv.jpg

looking for socks/hose/stockings like the gent to the left. Are these traditional? Anyone know a source?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Don't know about traditional, but they look like the sort of thing...

Here are a couple of places selling English country sports-type socks:

Farlows, search for "socks"

and

Look for "Coxmoore socks"

The former sells British-style shooting gear. Driven-game shooting in Britain is traditional since the late 19th century, so not so traditional really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt