Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Superfine?

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hello All,

What can you wise gentlemen tell me about the Knox Superfine grade of hats?

Lorne

I can tell you that if you look here, you'll really learn a lot! Great hats!!

How have you been?! Did you ever get rid of that pesky, free-loading boy?

Lorne

One of the Regulars
That problem was "taken care of"

I'm expecting a lot of flowers in the garden this year. Soil's been treated with about 250 lbs. of fertilizer and the ashes of two cloth hats.

You can only push a man so far and then whatever happens is on you.

A lesson the boy learned late, but learned well.

As for the Superfine’s, are they always fur or are their wool Superfine’s as well?

I've only ever seen or heard of Knox using fur or blends, but they're always good quality hats. Don't get rid of it unless it's a size 7-3/4, in which case I can tell you where to send it on the south shore...

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Sorry, but my 7 3/8 (the one I'm wearing in my avatar) has found a home.

Going to keep it in Metro-West, but if I see a 7 3/4 I'll keep you in mind.

facade

A-List Customer
Hello All,

What can you wise gentlemen tell me about the Knox Superfine grade of hats?

Lorne

Superfine was the top tier of Knox's off the shelf hats. During a given year, Superfine would be of higher quality than Extra or Premier (or Roxford and Beacon). For instance in 1919 the prices were:

Knox Extra Quality $8
Knox Premier Quality $10
Knox Superfine Quality $12

Superfine is of lessor quality than the dollar value hats (Twenties, Forties etc.).

I would not expect to find a Knox Superfine in wool unless it was a much later year model (Hatco) or a hat traditionally made from wool such as flat cap.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
I've got a Superfine and a Twenty
9f85b521-c235-4d9c-a83b-4ab4bbb57721_zpsk9orvpcu.jpg 63281876-0e92-42ad-9cb5-c8dad602140f_zps3kjfwk8y.jpg
I agree with facade's assessment of quality. They are very close in felt finish but I'd give the Twenty a slight edge in overall quality

Just Daniel

One Too Many
This thread is short but the clearest option on Knox quality levels. The School has some info, but I really have not been able to run down a listing with other price points.

Does anyone have info or an ad on later Premier, Superfine, and Custom hats? I have a late 40s / early 50s Knox labeled Super Fine on the liner and Fifteen on the sweat, leading me to believe they were one and the same at some point.

Daniel

Last edited:
This thread is short but the clearest option on Knox quality levels. The School has some info, but I really have not been able to run down a listing with other price points.

Does anyone have info or an ad on later Premier, Superfine, and Custom hats? I have a late 40s / early 50s Knox labeled Super Fine on the liner and Fifteen on the sweat, leading me to believe they were one and the same at some point.

Daniel
I have a Knox Superfine with a price tag inside. Don't know about the time periode though. Here it is.

knox_02.jpg
knox_09.jpg
knox_10.jpg
knox_11.jpg

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Here is another Superfine from eBay, with an ~$12 price inside the liner.

D223E9BC-F8E5-460E-B384-E069CBEDF1A9.jpeg ABB82F76-0952-4E8E-BBA1-F9ECA06AB343.jpeg D58D65A1-4060-416C-93E6-85E33C2E2F59.jpeg 7152D090-BED6-4833-9C7E-7DD82B2FDCFF.jpeg

A920AA81-91F1-4858-8CAC-52BFC6182AD1.jpeg

I’d say then my Superfine/Fifteen looks like an exception or maybe a later date or model. Does anyone have and info on the “Custom” model?

Daniel

PS I know the School of Hard Knox thread has a lot of info, but this particular thread is the only point I found where the Knox hat quality levels are presented clearly, and it comes up first on almost all my related google searches.

Here is another Superfine from eBay, with an ~$12 price inside the liner.

View attachment 155432 View attachment 155433 View attachment 155434 View attachment 155435

View attachment 155438

I’d say then my Superfine/Fifteen looks like an exception or maybe a later date or model. Does anyone have and info on the “Custom” model?

Daniel

PS I know the School of Hard Knox thread has a lot of info, but this particular thread is the only point I found where the Knox hat quality levels are presented clearly, and it comes up first on almost all my related google searches.
So you scored that, Daniel? If so, good get at a good price.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I didn’t bite on that one, I am mostly sticking to Stetsons. It’s a sweet hat for sure, and the price ta* caught my eye as another information point for this thread!

Just Daniel

One Too Many
James Powers posted this answer on another thread. He ranks The Knox Premier just under the Fifteen; I think we can see by the few price tags we have that the order was probablyPremier, Super Fine, then Fifteen, Twenty...etc.

I thought I would quote the other thread here for the note on Vagabonds, etc. While the ad images cited are no longer posted, the $ info is still very helpful.

“The question kind of depends in which era they come from concerning the Premier models. In the Golden Era, as far as I can tell, the Premier was the top of the line second only to custom jobs and the 100. The Twenty would be next of those you listed and 15 last but not likely the lowest grade.

As you can see from the ads, the Vagabond King, Saxon and Fifth Avenue Special were more "affordable than the 15 at $10 and 7.50---respectively in 1943.

The prices were such then that you actually got what you paid for though. The felt got progressively better along with the accoutrements---sweatband, ribbon, liner and finishing by better hatters.”

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Jimmy the Lid’s late-30s Premier with $10 price tag.

[More pics of the hat on other threads, I’m reposting here for convenience because this short thread shows up on google searches for Knox quality ratings]

0A3A8007-E119-4413-BF7D-5041F6A4A60D.jpeg 516C9856-BEDE-4EA1-881F-F9B10D175247.jpeg CB179B82-88F8-4CDE-A05C-6643C07DEACE.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo