Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace it up - The true Corset thread

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bombshell Becca said:
As for busty gals & corsets, I have a new love for underbust corsets after buying several overbust ones that mostly just smoosh the girls or push them up to my chin.

I now agree - The girls need proper support, and I'm not a fan of the "Sexy Secretary" or duct-taped look. :eek:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I just don't get it...

okay, call me a dope if y'all want to but what is the 3-4" smaller waist thing fascination with corsets anyhow? For starters you'd have to have custom made clothing or specifically altered ready to wear garments to wear over them. Plus a gal would look extremely odd with such an exaggerated figure like that walking around town in her regular every day life... Other than at a Victorian Ball or costumed theme event, when would you wear these things. If saving it for the bedroom, um.. at some point you'd end up taking the thing off and all (in its real size) would be revealed anyway. If there is some secret stripper fantasy thing about it all, sorry I just don't go there and neither does my husband or our teenage son and daughter.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
okay, call me a dope if y'all want to but what is the 3-4" smaller waist thing fascination with corsets anyhow? For starters you'd have to have custom made clothing or specifically altered ready to wear garments to wear over them.

I can agree, Carey. I already have enough of a hard time being disproportionate, so I don't want to shrink my waist further without shrinking the rest of me. That's not to say that I want to be skinny or anything, I much prefer being curvy, but it's tricky enough finding clothes that fit without taking another three or four inches off my waist. In women's sizes, I'm a 42-38-40 from the top down. In misses sizes, my top is off the charts, with a waist that's a 20 and 18 hips. With 4" reduction, my waist would be a 16, but the other two wouldn't change. And let's not get started on how being tall with a very short torso completely screws up the way clothes fit...

Emer

One of the Regulars
Personally, I wouldn't mind just having an inch or two shaved off my mid section, but that's it! I actually took the tape to my waist the other day and pulled it in to give me a 24-inch waist--whew did it look odd!! I have between a 26/27 inch waist, but if I could get down to a soild 25, I'd be very happy. Of course, my hips could definitely stand to lose more than couple of inches! lol

PS

A-List Customer
I think its pretty sexy myself. Before children I had a pretty extreme natural body shape. Tiny waist, enormous hips. I hated it at the time. All i wanted were goal post thigh and a concave stomach. Costumers would tell me how amazing my curves were, how sexy, sensual....etc...I didn't get it. But when I look back at it I would KILL FOR THAT BODY! My waist has filled in considerably and I lose and gain weight much more proportionately now that I am older.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Seems like Pilates and Zumba classes would be easier in the long run to me, and less tortuous... and I'd get to eat:)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a strong advocate and participant of exercise and stretching to achieve a healthy body (which can be slim, curvy or in between), and I'm never one to shy away from good, healthy food!:) Sometimes though (for me anyway), shapewear just fits the bill on those days when the fabric tends to cling a bit more than I'd like in places.

chanteuseCarey said:
If saving it for the bedroom, um.. at some point you'd end up taking the thing off and all (in its real size) would be revealed anyway.

I had to giggle, that comment made me think of something Carol Burnett would do in a comedy sketch! :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like a 40s dress figure Helysoune! Really, I've seen measurements like these on vntage 40s dresses and patterns on evilBay! And much of the 40s dresses have a higher waistline. Yours are much easier to find than mine (43-32-42 currently, and I'm long waisted).

Helysoune said:
I can agree, Carey. I already have enough of a hard time being disproportionate, so I don't want to shrink my waist further without shrinking the rest of me. That's not to say that I want to be skinny or anything, I much prefer being curvy, but it's tricky enough finding clothes that fit without taking another three or four inches off my waist. In women's sizes, I'm a 42-38-40 from the top down. In misses sizes, my top is off the charts, with a waist that's a 20 and 18 hips. With 4" reduction, my waist would be a 16, but the other two wouldn't change. And let's not get started on how being tall with a very short torso completely screws up the way clothes fit...

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
As a short-waisted girl with a figure on the slightly boyish side, I'm all about tucking in an inch or two. That's the only way I could come close to even a vague semblance of an hourglass. Or more like a three-minute timer.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
okay, call me a dope if y'all want to but what is the 3-4" smaller waist thing fascination with corsets anyhow? For starters you'd have to have custom made clothing or specifically altered ready to wear garments to wear over them.

I've done a bit of waist training, and this is actually the main reason I haven't pursued it further. I have enough trouble finding clothes that fit me right as it is; if I continued waist training I would have to get everything taken in, and I'd hate to have to do that to all of my vintage. That said, I love the way a real, steel-boned corset looks and feels(!). I have seen people with major reductions that are too extreme for my own tastes, but I personally believe to each their own. :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
okay, call me a dope if y'all want to but what is the 3-4" smaller waist thing fascination with corsets anyhow?

An hourglass figure has always been in vogue ;) For those of us who aren't naturally, we jump at the chance to train our waists with corsets!

Real steel-boned corsets also correct your posture like no other, IMHO.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I wouldn't mind training a few inches away, would I need a corset or will girdles to that, too?

Emer

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
As a short-waisted girl with a figure on the slightly boyish side, I'm all about tucking in an inch or two. That's the only way I could come close to even a vague semblance of an hourglass. Or more like a three-minute timer.

lol lol lol lol lol

Cutest. Analogy. Ever!

I'm actually wondering about the girdles that look like little briefs and have the garters attached. Do those show a panty line in dresses or skirts? I don't care what era we're in, in my opinion panty lines have never been "in."

Also, is there a trick to keeping the garters from being seen in skirts that aren't puffed up by a crinoline? I have a beautiful green skrit that's very twirly, but if I sit down, you'd be able to see the garters resting on my thighs. (Does that make sense?) Is there such a thing as a flat garter/garter clasps?

SayCici

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
A bit :eek:fftopic: but I found a old postcard from about 1913 where evidently a young girl is writing to her mother and telling her to send more corset covers as hers were falling apart. Curious now. What is this? Never heard of it before.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com
Someone like Lauren may have better information, but to my knowledge it is sort of like a slip or camisole, it was a lightweight top worn over the corset, to, well, cover it. It would keep the bones of the corset from rubbing against the expensive outer garment.

Vanessa

One Too Many
SayCici said:
Someone like Lauren may have better information, but to my knowledge it is sort of like a slip or camisole, it was a lightweight top worn over the corset, to, well, cover it. It would keep the bones of the corset from rubbing against the expensive outer garment.

Exactly. Corset covers were worn to disguise the color or boning of a corset under lacy, low-cut or sheer fabrics & to protect the delicate fabrics of the dress from rubbing against the corset. It's much easier to get a new corset cover than to replace an entire gown. They were often made from silk or muslin and in the Edwardian era, were highly decorated with lace, tucks, ribbons & embroidery.

Another example.

Examples of heavily padded or ruffled corset covers. The Edwardian "padded bra".

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
An hourglass figure has always been in vogue ;) For those of us who aren't naturally, we jump at the chance to train our waists with corsets!

Real steel-boned corsets also correct your posture like no other, IMHO.

I was wondering the same thing. I have two steel boned underbust corsets but they are meant to be seen outside your clothing so I'd hate to beat them up with daily waist training. Does anyone have any suggestions where to get a no frills underbust corset for training?

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Jenniferose7 said:
I was wondering the same thing. I have two steel boned underbust corsets but they are meant to be seen outside your clothing so I'd hate to beat them up with daily waist training. Does anyone have any suggestions where to get a no frills underbust corset for training?

My training corset is from Wasp Creations and I love it! It gives an amazing shape and is rather comfortable to boot! Another good place for waist training corsets is C&S Designs; I don't have anything of theirs myself, but they have an excellent reputation. Lastly, if you haven't seen the Staylace website, you may want to check that out, as it has lots of info on waist training. Hope that helps!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Ladies, I'm planning on wearing more skirts and such and was wondering

A: how do you wear a corset?
I mean, I know how you WEAR one, but what do you wear one
under? A skirt and a sweater top? Skirt and a blouse? button down?
what?
B: I'm looking for a reasonably priced one. Under 200 dollars. That is a real
boned tough corset. None of this Victoria's Secret stretchy crap.
Preferably not hook and eye in the front because I'm afraid they'll
pop. Also preferably a maker that you've had experience with. I'm
gun-shy.

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy