Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies Fedoras

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Do any of you ladies wear Fedoras?

Am I correct that traditionally "Ladies' Fedoras" look a bit different than men's?

I tried on a couple cheap ones at Target today, but didn't like how they fit or how the brims stuck out on the sides. However, I love the look of the hats themselves. Any suggestions of some good hat places or hats to get?

Shearer

Practically Family
Go vintage... they are easy to find and worth the money. You may find a superb vintage ladies' fedora for the amount you would pay for a modern interpretation. It just takes a little practice looking.

Try eBay, Rubylane, or etsy. Etsy usually has some pricey repros, and they are hard to resist ;)

Since you mention you didn't like the ones you found at Target (don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Target fan), vintage fedoras will offer you a wider selection in crown shaping and brim size. The ones you find today in stores are usually of the stingy brim Justin Timberlake variety.

Here is my favourite ladies fedora, on mannequin and on me... One side of the brim is upswept and wider, and the traditional men's hatband has been replaced by a satin bow that gathers on the side with a brooch:

2616840523_60733784c2.jpg

2617659374_1671f162fb.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You might want to check out some of the ladies hats threads as there are some ladies fedora mixed in there, also, if you are curious about a specific type of ladies fedora, you might want to query in the hats forum.

Either way, you may need to do a bit of searching.

LD

Spaugs

New in Town
Shearer said:
Go vintage... they are easy to find and worth the money. You may find a superb vintage ladies' fedora for the amount you would pay for a modern interpretation. It just takes a little practice looking.

Try eBay, Rubylane, or etsy. Etsy usually has some pricey repros, and they are hard to resist ;)

Since you mention you didn't like the ones you found at Target (don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Target fan), vintage fedoras will offer you a wider selection in crown shaping and brim size. The ones you find today in stores are usually of the stingy brim Justin Timberlake variety.

Here is my favourite ladies fedora, on mannequin and on me... One side of the brim is upswept and wider, and the traditional men's hatband has been replaced by a satin bow that gathers on the side with a brooch:

:eek:fftopic: what is that hat made of? Velvet?

As far as the original question, I don't see a problem with wearing men's fedoras, that could seem really tacky, but I love them so much, I'll wear a men's fedora with a suit for work and I find it to look pulled together and attractive [huh]

Shearer

Practically Family
Spaugs said:
:eek:fftopic: what is that hat made of? Velvet?

As far as the original question, I don't see a problem with wearing men's fedoras, that could seem really tacky, but I love them so much, I'll wear a men's fedora with a suit for work and I find it to look pulled together and attractive [huh]

Yes, it's black velvet wool :)

I don't see a problem with wearing men's fedoras, either. As long as the fit and shape are flattering, you will always look good.

I'm wearing my boyfriend's fedora in my avatar and I'm sure neither the fit or shape are right lol

lizylou

Familiar Face
Shearer said:

This is an Awesome Fedora! I so want one now!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I have a vintage tweed one and I just don't like how wide the brim is - it might suit me if I was a little taller but... it's just not good on me. Shame really, I find the men's ones more flattering for me xx

Lothlorien

New in Town
I wear a black, men's wool felt fedora and I love it. I usually combine it with a leather jacket and jeans. I would like to combine it with something a bit more fancy but that's somewhat difficult. Due to the wide brim it's mainly something for outdoor activities. ;-)

@Shearer
Your fedora looks really great!

Spaugs

New in Town
Actually, I have a very nice gray, felt, men's fedora with a red feather paired with black and white feathers in the belt. I love the hat, but I have trouble pairing it with anything. I've taken to just wearing it when I'm wearing a very basic outfit with no color outside of black and white. I wish I could wear it more :(

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Spaugs said:
Actually, I have a very nice gray, felt, men's fedora with a red feather paired with black and white feathers in the belt. I love the hat, but I have trouble pairing it with anything. I've taken to just wearing it when I'm wearing a very basic outfit with no color outside of black and white. I wish I could wear it more :(

You could also wear it with red! Or a nice creme color, or a similar grey.

It sounds like a really nice hat!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Wearing men's fedoras was actually the first step in me loving vintage. My husband an I would go to strip clubs wearing them (me in a suit, I wanted to look like a gangster) and were dubbed "the hat people" and became quite popular among the staff lol The problem is they're just so big! I bought one that fit once and I guess it was too cheap and got crumpled beyond repair. Then I found one for FREE at a church sale but it's even bigger than my husband's, so it seems I'm out of luck for now. I have always LOVED the fedora that girl wears in Casablanca. Shame on me for not yet having seen the whole movie.

panamaJess

New in Town
www.PanadorHats.com has short-brim trilby fedoras, which (depending on your face shape) can look really cute on a woman. I like buying Panama hats because of what goes into them -- they are hand-woven:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/panama-hats-by-panador/5262045414/in/set-72157625612287544/

and what I would call hand-finished:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/panama-hats-by-panador/5267080054/in/set-72157625612287544/

So even if you buy new, you're supporting a vintage form of art and preserving an old way of life (the lifestyle of Ecuadorian artisans).

The Panador Hat Company will be coming out with a natural-colored trilby and a pink trilby in the next few weeks. :)
Also, Dorfman Pacific offers a black trilby with natural stripes and a natural trilby with white stripes -- patterned but GENUINE panamas, unlike the cheapies you'll find at Target.
The problem with Target straws is they don't hold their shape -- know that from experience. :(

Last edited:

Juliet

A-List Customer
I have a lovely grey felt men's fedora and I love it! Sometimes difficult to pair off, but so worth it! But I'll be stocking on women's fedoras too, when I'll be able to afford it)))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran