Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

swinggal

One Too Many
My 40s suits are made from rayon, wool, wool belnds, crepe, gaberdine and I have a linen jacket. A lot of them were lined with rayon during WWII because silk used in the war effort.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have seen lots of women's suits from the 30's and 40's that used the same fabric as a man's suit. Most of the gabardine used is the same that was used in men's suits and such! But, the colores were some what different when used in a women's suit.

I have seen some good women's suits from the golden era and they were made almost as well as a man's suit. Just with a skirt and not pants.

Root.

swinggal

One Too Many
Ooooh yeah. Some of my tailored jackets are truly amazing! The waist pleats alone would be so hard to get right. The way they cling to the waist is like a glove. One jacket I have (black formal gaberdine with beading on the pockets) is a piece of art. The shoulders are so dramatic that they actually seem curl upwards at the ends a bit. It's the most flattering thing I have ever seen. But yes, certainly of the quality of a good mans suit.

They just don't make womens jackets like that anymore.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Claudette Colbert is wearing such a stunning suit in this photo from 1938--wow!

colbert146.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
How 'bout these lovelies--

Linda Darnell:
darnell1011.jpg

From the Mystery! movie "Dead Gorgeous" (an excellent show with top notch fashion and hair, by the way—in one scene, the glamorous character wears a positively drool-worthy lavender suit with a silver fox fur-trimmed peplum):

synopsis_01.jpg

credits_01.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
And a few more...

A two-tone combination worn by Olivia de Havilland:
inthisourlife156.jpg

Jean Harlow's take on the look:
3q14.jpg

The look of June, 1943, courtesy of Photoplay Magazine:
47b5d932b3127cce92b11a23378600000015108AatmbRq2ctP

I added this picture because I adore Olivia’s pumps—the perfect complement to a 1940s suit!
47b5d932b3127cce92b11a3b379e00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You should see my collection of magazines. Nearly took over a room! ;)
And my clothing is currently spilling out of two closets. But really, there's room for much more...

But most definitely, it is nice to see a fine, knowledgeable gentleman like yourself (among the other nice fellas on these boards) who can appreciate a lady and her wardrobe! :) Just goes to show that ladies' style wins out in the end!

I've posted this pic before, but this is one of my favorite WWII-era suits:

47b4db33b3127cce9bdb22f961c800000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Wild Root

Gone Home
jitterbugdoll said:
You should see my collection of magazines. Nearly took over a room! ;)
And my clothing is currently spilling out of two closets. But really, there's room for much more...

I totally agree! I am some what in the same shape with the clothes! Two closets at full capacity and still, I'm always buying more! It really isn't enough is it!

That photo is jus as sweet as Cherry pie! Your hair, hat, suit and shoes are just perfect! Oh, I wish there were more of you lady’s out there who take this so seriously. Well, just one who lives just down the street from me that would be nice. ;)

This has really been great seeing all those photos!

Root.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I definitely agree--and aside from some of the folks on the lounge, I'm not sure most people understand our collecting obsession (heck, most people are just hung up on the "why are you dressed so fancy?" issue!)

Well, I know the ladies are out there--and one may be closer than you think! ;)

One last suit photo of a fashionable group of 1940s ladies--note Lena Horne among their ranks:
47b4dd10b3127cce9bdb2db2313a00000016108AatmbRq2ctP

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
And how! :)

I found a color pic of the suit I posted earlier--it's a lovely shade of red.
47b5d934b3127cce92b9275f24c600000015108AatmbRq2ctP

I received a small lot of McCall's magazines from 1939 and 1940 in the mail yesterday--I must scan in some of the fashions when I have the chance. The designs are simply amazing, and absolutely stunning. Why, they even devoted a whole section to the 'suit frock' in the February 1940 issue. Be still my beating heart!

I also really like the redingote look, like this:
603.jpg

Redingotes have the same tailored lines as a regular suit, but were very high fashion for a few years.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I just found these photos of one of my suits--it's still posted on the website I purchased it from. I call it my 'good luck interview suit'--I always get the job when I wear it!

image152.jpg

image151.jpg

image153.jpg

You'll flip when you see the mags--they are some of the best ones I've found yet! One even had an article on "Makeup for Blondes" (they did a three-part series for the three hair colors, apparently), which turned out to be very helpful (and I find it very difficult to find any *solid* info regarding 1930s-40s makeup colors and application in vintage mags. They glossed over it, unlike today’s magazines, which devote pages and pages to must-have looks and products.)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
How Long To Style Your Hair?

jitterbugdoll, those photos look so 1940s! Fabulous! Great dresses, if only they made those today.

Forgive my ignorance, but how long does it take to style your hair like you sport in your photos? I always wondered how long women spent doing up their hair back then. I have no frame of reference, as my wife's hair is almost as short as mine, so it takes her about a minute to style.

Maybe I should've asked this question in the Powder Room.

Brad

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Brad!

Actually, creating the rolls takes all of five minutes. Setting it to create the look (fluffy curls) takes a little bit longer, depending on the curling method used. So, for a short explanation, if I hot set my hair in the morning, we're talking 20 minutes tops (both curling and rolling.) If I damp set it at night, the hair dries while I sleep, and so I spend maybe 10 minutes or so taking the curlers out, giving them a quick brush through, and then rolling the front.

During the 40s, women generally washed their hair once or twice the week, had one professional set at the beginning on the week, and touched up the curls until the next week with pin curl sets. Because they usually permed their hair, I don't think they had to spend too much time curling it—most of their styling efforts were aimed at keeping the look fresh and neat until the next wash and set.

In my opinion, the hairstyle looks a lot fussier/fancier than it truly is. But it definitely makes the look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80