Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laid Off...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, the shoe I've been waiting to hear drop for several weeks now has finally done so -- I just got word that I'm to be laid off from the writing job I've held for the past nine years as of the first of the year. I'll still have my theatre job, but that won't be enough to keep the wolf from the door for long -- so if anyone hears of anyone who might be looking for an award-winning writer/editor/general-purpose ink-stained wretch for telecommuting-type assignments, I'd appreciate a PM heads-up!

(I knew I should've behaved myself better this year -- Santa's leaving coal in my stocking already!)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Oh sorry. :(
That really suxx! Employers always pick the holiday season for such "gifts". :mad:
Maybe check out Monster.com if you have not already? It does work.
I think I should start checking it a little more seriously, as I am in danger of losing my job too, I think. :rolleyes:
But these things have a way of working out for the best. A better opportunity will arise. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
Very sorry to hear about this - it's not good news at the best of times, but to have it happen this close to Christmas...

I hope that now this door has closed a window opens wide for you somewhere else - and on a much better, brighter vista!

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
That is crappy news. What is it with employers over there that like to do this at Xmas?? Another of out members has just been laid off too and it's also with the same fantastic timing!

I'm sure you'll get back soon and that the employment laws over there made them pay through he nose for stiffing you in that way. They would be here after that long a service.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, as a freelancer myself, I feel for you. :(
I wish I had some constructive advice to offer – even I don't know how I pick up most of my work; things either come in or you start peeling the (virtual) shoe leather. Do you do monster.com and such?

Just remember, God looks after drunks and freelancers. ;)
Keep us up to date.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Oh Lizzie, that's terrible. It's awful that these things so often happen at this time of year. Unfortunately a few years back I was laid off twice in 16 months but things worked out. I hope they will for you too (and soon!).

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
"You WILL find another and MUCH BETTER work than you would ever hope to dream of"

My fortune cookie of today....:)

Good Luck and God Speed!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Thank you all for the kind words and good wishes -- they help a lot just now. I've been prowling all the popular job search sites (and a number of the unpopular ones!) for a few months now, but have yet to connect -- but hopefully my luck will change soon.

I'm going to be offline for the next day or so dealing with stuff - but rest assured, I shall be looking diligently for that corner that Opportunity is, they say, Just Around...

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Well, the shoe I've been waiting to hear drop for several weeks now has finally done so -- I just got word that I'm to be laid off from the writing job I've held for the past nine years as of the first of the year. I'll still have my theatre job, but that won't be enough to keep the wolf from the door for long -- so if anyone hears of anyone who might be looking for an award-winning writer/editor/general-purpose ink-stained wretch for telecommuting-type assignments, I'd appreciate a PM heads-up!

(I knew I should've behaved myself better this year -- Santa's leaving coal in my stocking already!)

What kind of writing? My company is allways looking for writers but more technology orientated.

S

Samsa

Sorry to hear this Lizzie. :( But I'm sure you'll stumble into something wonderful!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm so sorry to hear this news Lizzie. What a horrible time of year for those jerks to do this to you and your family.:rage:
I don't know of any jobs in your field, I'm sorry for that. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I really do hope that not only you will find a job soon, but it will be 100 times better than the job you had.
Keep your spirits up and try to enjoy the holiday season. You are very talented in your field, so anyone in need of a seasoned writer would be blessed to have you on their staff.
Hold tight to that lump of coal and it will turn into a diamond!:D Santa owes you big time!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR