Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laid Off...

Hondo

One Too Many
Its tough during this time of year, I'm sure with your talent something will come. ;)
As Sean Connery once said taking any job, (work) is noble, Hang in there :)

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
You are not alone.....

Found out today that my job may be outsourced to India in the next 2-6 months. Maybe not, but maybe.
Hang in there for all of us Lizzie.
And in anyone hears of a job for a CPA in the James Bond mold, let me know.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Geez, what is it with layoffs and Christmas? Feh!

Good luck, Tommy -- and here's hoping all of us who seem to be in this boat will soon find better things. I may have a grant-writing assignment coming up -- not much in the long run, but it's a few bucks when I need it. And I made $50 this week hemming three pairs of pants for a friend. Every little bit...

Keep looking!

One note is that you need to keep sending out resumes during the holidays. There is a feeling that no one is hiring now but that is not true, people get sick, die, move, quit, get moved upstairs and do all of the usual things during this season so people are looking inspite of the season.

Best wishes,

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi Lizzie,

Just thought I'd check in with you--how are things going? Well I hope! Still sending you good thoughts!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
Hi Lizzie,

Just thought I'd check in with you--how are things going? Well I hope! Still sending you good thoughts!

Thanks for the kind words -- it's been kind of up and down lately, but I'm hanging on. I have an interview next Wednesday with a local architectural firm for a marketing-assistant job, writing copy and such, and so far that's the only real nibble I've had. But I'm still getting in 15 hours a week or so at the theatre, and picked up a few dollars with a grant-writing job last week, so I guess I'm still nickel-and-diming along...

The hardest part of all this is trying to keep a positive mindset. I haven't been out of fulltime work since 1986, and it's very jarring to wake up in the middle of the night and realize that the income I'm used to depending on isn't there anymore. I've tightened things up in every possible way, and am watching every penny I spend -- but it's still nervewracking, and probably will be till things fall back into place. Which, I keep telling myself, it has to do.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie,

I've been through many layoffs. Something else always came along. In fact, I've worked at about 20 different places.

This is my suggestion: read your local business journal and look for companies that are successful and growing. They may not be hiring at the moment, but things change in business all the time. If you visit their office, see if the employees seem busy and if they look confident. Ask what happened to the last person they hired for your position. (High turnover is expected in some jobs, but it can be a bad sign, too.) Do your best to keep your positive attitude--winners don't like to work with a sad sack.

Good luck to you.

Buck

New in Town
Chin-up Lizzie! As "A Person From Away" who lives in Maine, I know how hard it can be up here to find work. If it's any consolation, I've been canned or jumped out without knowing where I would be next, on four or five occasions. I've always landed in a better pond (knock wood). Keep the faith!;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, I'm relatively new to the lounge and just read this thread. (NRI) You write so well. So did you land a position that you like?
I was laid off last October in a corporate buyout and restructuring. I'm still looking for a food and beverage position at the corporate level. Since I spent over twenty years with a start-up that grew into a national chain traded on the NYSE prior to going private, I'd like to find something with another growing company with some equity involved. Wish me luck.

Carter

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Best of luck, Carter!

Updating my own situation, I was appointed house manager at the theatre at the end of May -- so between that and running projection three shows a week, I'm basically there every night. Technically it's only supposed to be 30 hours a week, but this summer things have been very busy and I've actually been getting some paid overtime (being a clock puncher can have advantages!).

On the writing front, things haven't been so hot. I did some grant writing earlier this year, but that's dried up, and what freelancing I've been able to get has been very unreliable. I'm still owed money on writing jobs I did several months ago, and I've been getting very frustrated with waiting -- the brakes on my car are about gone, and I can't afford to fix them until the payoff comes on those jobs.

But I'm keeping busy -- looking into various opportunities as they come along, and at least working at the theatre is *fun*, which is more than can be said of most of the jobs I've had...

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Thanks for the kind words -- it's been kind of up and down lately, but I'm hanging on. I have an interview next Wednesday with a local architectural firm for a marketing-assistant job, writing copy and such, and so far that's the only real nibble I've had. But I'm still getting in 15 hours a week or so at the theatre, and picked up a few dollars with a grant-writing job last week, so I guess I'm still nickel-and-diming along...

The hardest part of all this is trying to keep a positive mindset. I haven't been out of fulltime work since 1986, and it's very jarring to wake up in the middle of the night and realize that the income I'm used to depending on isn't there anymore. I've tightened things up in every possible way, and am watching every penny I spend -- but it's still nervewracking, and probably will be till things fall back into place. Which, I keep telling myself, it has to do.

I'm sorry for your hardships Lizzie, I hope things will get better soon for you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nic

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, Check out this thread, A letter from Tokyo, not only is this some very cool stuff, but there may be a really good story, maybe a novel in there. Glad to hear that your situation has improved and I hope you get paid for those jobs soon. Have a swell day. Carter

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
NicolettaRose said:
I'm sorry for your hardships Lizzie, I hope things will get better soon for you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nic

If you read a little further down, she has updated us and is doing very well!

Lizzie, about those people being behind in payment- ugh, that is a nasty part of freelancing. I had that happen, too years back and since then get I paid up front, at least half anyway, or no workie!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
When I have a freelance job, and they aren't lancing the money, I pester them to death!!!!:rage: :deadhorse

respectively...of course

Miss Lizzie, if I had a company that needed a writer (and awarding winning at that), you'd be the one to get it.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I work freelance too - and I tell my clients (Ad agencies):
"I jump when you say jump and I work od-hours in order to save your a..!"
And I always comes in on the job, when it should have been finished yesterday!!
The least you can do is pay me, as fast as I worked for you!"

It works - 98% of the time.;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I work freelance too - and I tell my clients (Ad agencies):
"I jump when you say jump and I work od-hours in order to save your a..!"
And I always comes in on the job, when it should have been finished yesterday!!
The least you can do is pay me, as fast as I worked for you!"

Spitfire, You should be Lizzie's agent! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot