Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lavay Smith

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Hey all. I just now read that Lavay Smith (my favorite of the current swingers) is putting out a new album this year. Very cool! I was curious if anyone has ever seen them live, or if anyone else even likes them? Lady Day maybe? I know theyre from San Francisco, because all they ever do is play shows up there. Ah well.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic

They are fantastic. I remember b ack in 95 or so, they used to playa regular gig at a place in SF. Over the years, they rode the swing thing to bigger venues and touring more. They have always had a big following beyond the dance and swing crowd as they have a very authentic sound. lavay is a sweetheart and has a great traditional voice. And their musicians, are great too. If I rember correctly, Lavay's partner plays piano and maybe is band leader. I have seen them many times and alwasy loved them. Pick up the album with confidance.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Youre my hero! do you have any recollection of anything special that they do live, or anything of the sort. All the info I can find of them online is rather bare-bones. Anyone else out there? we cant be the only two!

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I've seen her a couple of times. She plays Reno fairly regularly. She puts on a great show. A couple of years ago, they played Hot August Nights for free.:eusa_clap

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see Lavay whenever she plays NY.Always a treat. The band plays authentically. I would say it's a subdued kind of show. Lavay has great stage presence though!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't say as I never had any albums. She does some standards and a lot of more obscure tunes as well as originals. Fantastic voice, much in the style of black blues singers of the 40s and 50s. More swinging blues than swing. She has a lot of personality and Chris and her have a lot of energy as he plays some excellent boogie woogie piano. Her other musicials are mostly older seasoned pros. Very different from the younger bands that are more of a modern interpretation of style and music.

For me it was more about the whole event rather than the music. While a big band in a big venue may transport me to a vintage dance hall, Lavay Smith will make you think you are in a little juke joint round about three AM.

And she always made a big effort to get to know her regulars. Very gracious and just all around great. I am jealous of me back then too. I don't think there will ever be a time or place like SF ten years ago for vintage lovers.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lavey Smith and the Red-Hot Skillet-Lickers are based in San Francisco and they used to have a regular gig at Cafe du Nord, located on Market Street, an underground speakeasy-style club. I saw them many times there and also at a venue in North Beach whose name I cannot now recall, and I was friends with Lavey's good friend Sherry Olson, who is a ceramicist and makes beautiful high-end platters and such that are sold in museums. Lavey plays sometimes in Berkeley, where I live now, at a club called Ashkenaz. I also saw her in Santa Monica on the pier. I only have her first CD, called One Hour Mama, and I have loved it for years. It is full of lyrical double entendres and hot playing. Her pianist is incredibly talented as well. I have not seen her (or Sherry) for a few years. They put on a great show. Lavey used to shop at the grocery store where I worked, Real Food on Polk Street in San Francisco, to buy organic vegetables. Once I saw her on the street and she said she had just played for Bill Clinton! This was back when he was president! A delightful and talented lady and she enjoys a good drink.

davew

New in Town
Love me some Lavay! Ive seen her in NY,NJ and on her home turf at Biscuits and blues in SF.You just cant go wrong with either of her cds either,both are great.
Dont miss STOMPY JONES out on the west coast!Just about the smoothest swinginest outfit around!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner