Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lazy" Vintage Hair Ideas

V

Violeta

I pick up the side of my hair, grip them with hair combs, and the back of my hair, depending on the weather and my mood, I sometimes braid it, or make a pony tail at the nape of my neck and curl the ends and tie a ribbon around it, or pin it up in a flower shape, my bangs are usually culrled under. As soon as I figure it out, I will post pics!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I actually got this from Iris on YouTube but I mix it up alittle...

I woke up this morning SUPER late and didnt get to set my hair so..

-Take two hair combs and wet the front of your hair so you can create a wave and then place the combs in there. (you can do a side part or middle part whichever you like)

-Then I take the rest of the hair and split it down the middle to make two pigtail semi loose braids..

- Then bunch up each braid at the nape of your neck and pin..

.. then pop in a flower or two to add some spazzaz!

Pics:
Here is the front view..a very simple look..
6360_1134612323492_1172844265_30379712_4608698_n.jpg

The Back with Flower
6360_1134611643475_1172844265_30379710_3330715_n.jpg

The reaaaaly quick wave with comb
n1172844265_30379708_6981266.jpg

Sorry the pics are not that great of quality.. there were taken on my phone at work.. :)

Antje

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
I actually got this from Iris on YouTube but I mix it up alittle...

I woke up this morning SUPER late and didnt get to set my hair so..

-Take two hair combs and wet the front of your hair so you can create a wave and then place the combs in there. (you can do a side part or middle part whichever you like)

-Then I take the rest of the hair and split it down the middle to make two pigtail semi loose braids..

- Then bunch up each braid at the nape of your neck and pin..

.. then pop in a flower or two to add some spazzaz!

Pics:
Here is the front view..a very simple look..
6360_1134612323492_1172844265_30379712_4608698_n.jpg

The Back with Flower
6360_1134611643475_1172844265_30379710_3330715_n.jpg

The reaaaaly quick wave with comb
n1172844265_30379708_6981266.jpg

Sorry the pics are not that great of quality.. there were taken on my phone at work.. :)

I loved the tutorial from Iris, I did it the other day and it is a really lazy do

3005hmo.jpg

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Antje said:
I loved the tutorial from Iris, I did it the other day and it is a really lazy do

3005hmo.jpg

I remember this hairdo! I need to favorite it. Good look for long hair...on somebody else. I don't have long hair anymore. :)

Joonie

Familiar Face
A sweet pony tail. Or I let it dry naturally, which my husband refers to as "poodle hair!" Other than him, I receive many compliments. There's nothing like putting a tad of gel on wet hair, going to bed for the night, and waking up to glorious poodle hair!

Emer

One of the Regulars
The chignon.

I don't actually know if a chignon is a vintage hair style, but I love the way it looks. Polished, simple, no nonsense. Please ignor the bits sticking out in the back. It's the layers. Plus, this is at the end of the day.

lazyhair1.jpg

lazyhair2.jpg

It'd be very easy to dress up, but if your hair just won't cooperate this is a good go-to. Just pull your hair into a ponytail at the nape of your neck, twist hair around rubber band (ponytail base), and secure with another rubber band or pins. Smooth any strays with gel or hairspray. The trick of the chignon is to look as polished as possible.

Emer

One of the Regulars
One more

It's kind of like the braid tutorial, only more simple. These were shot in North Carolina (November 2008), where the winter made my hair so dry and static-y, I HAD to pull my hair back.

braids.jpg

The tails of the braids are pinned directly under the braid itself. I call it my swiss miss hair-do, because I always wear my little knit beret over it!

beret2.jpg

Antje

One Too Many
Emer said:
It's kind of like the braid tutorial, only more simple. These were shot in North Carolina (November 2008), where the winter made my hair so dry and static-y, I HAD to pull my hair back.

braids.jpg

The tails of the braids are pinned directly under the braid itself. I call it my swiss miss hair-do, because I always wear my little knit beret over it!

beret2.jpg

Great beret, looks sweet on ya

Emer

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Best. Winter. Accessory. Ever. I think I bought it from Forever 21 when I was about 16 or so. It's been in my arsenal ever since, and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. It's been mended once already, but it will have to fall to pieces on my head before I toss it! lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thanks to those of you who have posted photos of sleek updos, styles with scarves and other ties. Chignons were definitely around by the 1950s and for evenings some ladies used hair pieces to create faux chignons. At least that's what I've read some where.

To save my scalp I'm only using alice bands, scarves, doing ponytails and buns on a daily basis. I hope that I'll be able to make my buns more elegant and make chignons when my hair grows longer. I lost the layers because I've always had a fascination with sleek updos though I know they can be just as time consuming as "set" styles.

I miss barette combs. I haven't been able to find any. They're good for faux roll looks.

I have zero success with bobby pins. At best they just fall out even when I cross them, at worst they break more hair than setting it will do. The women I know who love bobby pins all have some texture, fine hairs but quite dense hair at the same time. Mine's the exact opposite; straight, coarse, sparse.

Even if I only have time for large rollers (and my scalp isn't a mess) just having had some rollers in first, makes any smooth updo easier and makes barettes stay in. Similarly having worn my hair in a bun before attempting any other updo, does a little more than trying the same style on straight "fresh" hair. I can't find hair products that don't irritate my scalp horribly.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I have zero success with bobby pins. At best they just fall out even when I cross them, at worst they break more hair than setting it will do. .
It seems like all the bobby pins I have ran across lately have been cheaply made and bend or lose their shapes easily. Even the ones that used to do good by me.

Hestia

Familiar Face
Chignons, I love them!

My hair tends to get big and unruly, and I love the chignon when it just needs to look sleek fast. I'm wearing one on the side today, tucked a flower behind my ear and I'm set.

3893747263_973b26e2f0.jpg

And bobby pins- the regular size ones will not stand a chance in my hair. I use the 3" long kind sold as "roller pins"; they are much more sturdy and will actually hold my hair up.

Lillemor

One Too Many
That's lovely Hestia. How long does one's hair have to be for a chignon? I'm a little tired of ponytails and buns so I'm doing half updos which are good for concealing the contrast between hair and scalp which dark hair can make look like bald spots. I can't get around the use of a scarf or ponytail to control the front.

There are some thin ones I've never really used because they don't really provide any protection and I was wondering what the hell people expected me to do with them. It never occured to my to incorporate them into my hairstyles until now. My scarves are too summery in design to use now.

Hana

New in Town
My hair is naturally curly so i just left it to dry naturally and it came out in curls and waves. Well, that was before I cut it.
I do roughly the same now even though my hair is now chin length and I just cant get it to look glamourous.
It suffices though. :)

Emer

One of the Regulars
Hestia said:

Hestia, I hate you! lol You have like, THE perfect bun! I love the buns that look like they've just bloomed out of the ponytail, versus the way I have to roll mine around, creating the little donut effect. Any tips? How long is your hair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy