Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lazy" Vintage Hair Ideas

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have no pictures, but my fool-proof vintagey hairstyle is the dirdle-look: (Is that the right word?) You braid your here in to braids and put them up around the head. Here modeled by the over-rated Norwegian actress Liv Ullmann.
autumn-10.jpg

I also do this very impressive-looking hair knot with a donut-shaped "rat": I make a ponytail high on the head, put the donut over the ponytail, spread the hair to evenly cover the donut and then fasten it with a hair band under the donut. I have long hair, so a lot of it just hangs down from the hairknot at this stage. And here comes the trick: I gather the hair so it hangs down my neck, then I braid it. I then pin the braid to the back of my head, from the hair knot down to my neck. I tuck the end of it underneath.

puh! That was probably a lousy explanation. Maybe I can make a photo-tutorial once. It is really easy, but looks impressive!

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Helen Troy said:
I have no pictures, but my fool-proof vintagey hairstyle is the dirdle-look: (Is that the right word?) You braid your here in to braids and put them up around the head. Here modeled by the over-rated Norwegian actress Liv Ullmann.
autumn-10.jpg

I think thats a great look with a few flowers, Frida Kahlo wore her hair that way all of the time, I did until I cut it all off. :eusa_doh:

Frida%20Kahlo.jpg

God, isn't she amazing looking?!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Amy Jeanne said:
old_school_11.jpg

Done with a real 1920s Wave Iron -- the kind you heat over a stove! Just heat that baby up super hot, crimp your hair intermittently, make little spit curls on the ends with gel, comb and re-shape everything (unless you like the super-tight look), spray like a helmet, and there's a fast and easy 20s-style 'do.

Of course, setting your hair using wave clamps and letting it dry all day, combing it out and then re-styling it looks better, but, well, it takes all day!

Ps - Real wool 1930s bathing suit! :)

Holy Schamoly AmyJ, you look absolutely fabulous. The hair is perfect and your cupids bow mouth. You could step back right now and no one would be the wiser.

Sunny

One Too Many
My everyday hair is "lazy" hair. *sigh* Like ohairas, it's all about the combs. This is actually the wrong angle; the other side (with more hair) is better. It's sort of a mild pomp effect.

DSC00340.jpg

It might be helpful, though, so here's the routine:

• Day One: Wash hair in the evening. Let air dry all night.
  • Day Two: Use curling iron on ends and stick up with combs in front. In the evening, set the hair with Lottabody and sponge rollers.
  • Day Three: Use hairdryer because it won't be dry yet. Brush out and put up with combs.
  • Day Four: Brush again and put up with combs.
  • Day Five: Brush again and put up with combs. Wash hair in evening... start over.

(The photo is morning-of-Day-Five, I'm sure.)

After the first day there's not much curl, but the extra wave and flip at the ends lasts. Certainly longer than using the curling iron once every four days. My hair's really too long to be curly. :( I would love to have Veronica Lake hair, but my features are too heavy and my hairline a completely different shape.

I'm getting really tired of using the combs, but I'm stuck for other ideas that would be flattering. My head is narrow. When my hair's pulled back (i.e. ponytail), it looks like I'm bald. :eek: If it's pulled up high, my face is even longer than usual. I desperately need width at the temples or slightly above, which is why I use the combs. In addition to the pomp effect, the hair drapes down from them further out from my head. I've tried making some waves in my hair, but then it hangs down on either side of my face (hippie-like) and makes it even narrower. Back to the combs. Aaaand, although I love the feel of having my hair up, off my neck and ears, it makes me look old. Really old. I've always looked older than I am, and it's to the point where accentuating that is very unattractive. Any ideas? :eek:

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Wow Sunny, 4 days out of one hair wash? Have you always been able to go so long or did you have to train your hair to be so ungreasy? My hair struggles to go two days, if I wear it down the first day, my roots are greasy the second, so I have to wash it for the third. If I wear it up the first day,it's ok the second and the third is only fit for a head covering bandana! I wish I could get away with not washing it for longer!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
Wow Sunny, 4 days out of one hair wash? Have you always been able to go so long or did you have to train your hair to be so ungreasy? My hair struggles to go two days, if I wear it down the first day, my roots are greasy the second, so I have to wash it for the third. If I wear it up the first day,it's ok the second and the third is only fit for a head covering bandana! I wish I could get away with not washing it for longer!

No kidding, I have roller derby practice 3 or 4 nights a week and I have to wash it after practice - so gross!

Fleur, if greasies are a problem, tap some cornstarch onto a natural bristle brush and brush it through the greasy areas. It usually works pretty well!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
When my roots start to feel greasy two-three days after shampooing, I resist the temptation to shampoo and wash with conditioner (a silicone-free one) instead or just wet it and give it a good scalp massage in the shower. That way I can go two more days without washing it.

I try to do the Gretchen-do (that's my name for it, the one sported by LIv Ullman) too, but my hair is so fine and only shoulder lenght so I think the braids look kind of thin and pathetic on me. It looks stunning on women with long, thick hair!

What I do a lot when I'm lazy though, is to roll up the DRY front hair (or all of it if I can be bothered) on bendy sponge rollers in the morning, wrap a chiffon scarf around it, get in a hot shower to get the bathroom really steamy while making sure not to put my head directly under the shower. It's mustn't get wet. After 15-20 minutes I take out the rollers. The steams sets the hair into nice waves at the front so a ponytail looks a little less boring. It's doens't last as long as a proper wet set but it's a lot easier! I hope I explained it well enough to understand ..

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Like Babydoll, I am a fan of the pigtails!

I also french braid my hair and then wrap a bandana around, covering the tail (my hair is short). It looks really cool. No pics though - my web server is down and all the photos are there :-/

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Babydoll-that look is adorable on you!

My ponytails never look as cute as yours.Did you curl your ends under or does your hair curve naturally?I think the ribbon adds alot and finishes the look.I never think to get ribbon.When my hair gets long enough I hope you're not offended if I copy your look.

Sunny

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:

That's a really interesting point. I hope I didn't gross anyone out - it's really not greasy. Here's the deal, from what I've read and my own experience.

Hair, like skin, needs oil to be healthy. The current wisdom for taking care of your skin is to cut down on the harsh and drying chemicals, because that stimulates the skin to make more oil than ever. The scalp is the same way. Shampoo washes all the oil out of your hair, trigger the scalp to make more oil.

I've always had very long hair, usually at or below my waist. My current length is very short in comparison. It's a real chore to wash, so I used to do it every other day. I read a little bit about hair and its oil, and then 3-4 years ago camping trips, interesting living situations overseas, and increasing busy-ness began prodding me to go longer. It went from 2 days to 2 with a grace period to 3 days. Gradually that stretched to a pretty firm 3 days, with occasionally 4 if I had to. And since the fall, I've been working full time + 6 hours of night grad classes, both fall and spring. Every 4 days was all that I could manage, and that was a stretch.

Now the interesting part. That overseas situation I mentioned involved a lack of running water, and then a lack of warm water. It was summer in Ukraine, with no A/C - the heat was nothing like Texas, but it wasn't what I'd call cool. I shampooed every 4 days out of necessity (unthinkable prior to that), and it felt - and looked, to me - bad on the 3rd day and very bad on the 4th day; I'd wear it up and back. It showed the most in my bangs and the riot of baby curls around my face and ears. So 4 days stuck in my head as the nothing-doing outside limit. And even when I went three days, on the third I'd use a little bit of soap and wash out my bangs in the sink, to keep them from clumping. A pain, but it worked.

But then a month ago I realized that I was consistently going four days. Not only was it barely noticeable in the baby curls over my ears, it didn't show in my bangs at all. Over the last couple years and months, my scalp must have been adjusting itself. It's not even an issue. Working out does affect it, of course. When the summer turns hot and my evening walks/jogs take place in 100 degree heat, I may have to modify things again. But on a regular basis, no.

It does depend on how you define "greasy." My hair doesn't have the fine fly-away cleanliness of hair that was just washed and dried; hair like that doesn't have oil in it. But it's smooth and doesn't look or feel actually greasy.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Sunny said:
My everyday hair is "lazy" hair. *sigh* Like ohairas, it's all about the combs. This is actually the wrong angle; the other side (with more hair) is better. It's sort of a mild pomp effect.

DSC00340.jpg

I love your hair and the dress Sunny! In fact I like everyone's hair on this page.

And before I cut my hair, I did pig tails prolly 6 out of 7 days. That's how hair inept I am! Oof!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Sunny said:

DSC00340.jpg

It might be helpful, though, so here's the routine:

• Day One: Wash hair in the evening. Let air dry all night.
  • Day Two: Use curling iron on ends and stick up with combs in front. In the evening, set the hair with Lottabody and sponge rollers.
  • Day Three: Use hairdryer because it won't be dry yet. Brush out and put up with combs.
  • Day Four: Brush again and put up with combs.
  • Day Five: Brush again and put up with combs. Wash hair in evening... start over.

(The photo is morning-of-Day-Five, I'm sure.)

After the first day there's not much curl, but the extra wave and flip at the ends lasts. Certainly longer than using the curling iron once every four days. My hair's really too long to be curly. :( I would love to have Veronica Lake hair, but my features are too heavy and my hairline a completely different shape.

I'm getting really tired of using the combs, but I'm stuck for other ideas that would be flattering. My head is narrow. When my hair's pulled back (i.e. ponytail), it looks like I'm bald. :eek: If it's pulled up high, my face is even longer than usual. I desperately need width at the temples or slightly above, which is why I use the combs. In addition to the pomp effect, the hair drapes down from them further out from my head. I've tried making some waves in my hair, but then it hangs down on either side of my face (hippie-like) and makes it even narrower. Back to the combs. Aaaand, although I love the feel of having my hair up, off my neck and ears, it makes me look old. Really old. I've always looked older than I am, and it's to the point where accentuating that is very unattractive. Any ideas? :eek:

Your hair looks great, I wore mine in a similar style today. I can only use combs if my hair has been curled as it has some grip but when it's straight they just slip right out. I am jealous that you can get away with not washing your hair for that long! I have fine hair that gets greasy very quickly so I wash it every other day; I probably would do it every day if I could be bothered and if I knew it wasn't damaging (stripping the scalp of oils every day would take it's toll). The first day I leave it down but the second it HAS to be up in some way unless it's been curled (I re-curl on the second day - for some reason I find the greasiness less obvious than when it's straight).

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:
My ponytails never look as cute as yours.Did you curl your ends under or does your hair curve naturally?I think the ribbon adds alot and finishes the look.I never think to get ribbon.When my hair gets long enough I hope you're not offended if I copy your look.

Aw, aren't you sweet! Copy away.....

My hair naturally curls under when it goes up in piggies, but it's normally in a flip when down. Figure that one out! :rolleyes:

Word of advice re: ribbon..... get a yard. Cut in half. The two 1/2 yard pieces will be enough to tie (easily) into bows for your piggies. Also, get something that's between 5/8" and 1" wide. It'll tie easier/look better. Gingham ribbons are my favorites. I have red/white, pink/white, and red/black.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GoldLeaf said:
Uhhhh .... a bit of both? lol You are a twerp! :p :D

Why I oughtta....lol
Other lazy hairdo days for me include pulling back the sides with a twist to the hair. When I want it all off my neck I twist the back around to my nape. This is how I wear my hair to the gym, it's actually very cute, I never noticed till the other day when I checked myself out in the mirror. I'll post pics. It takes less than 5 minutes.

GILDA

Every women should own a hot air brush. I love mine and cant live without it. On busy days, I put some VO5 hairdressing or Vitapointe in and use that to dry my hair, shaping curls as I dry. For anyone who doent know what Im talking about it looks like a curling iron, but instead of a barrel it has a brush and hot air comes out. So technically your brushing and drying at the same time. I got the tip from my mother who has been using one since the sixties. Its essential

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sunny, we have a very similar routine! And also I try to brush it so that the oils get distributed throughout the hair.

I've never washed my hair every day. But once I went red I really tried to wait as long as I could in between because it fades so bad.

Gilda, I agree. Those hot air brushes are awesome! When my hair was more your length, I loved to just run it through the top in the morning just to get some extra lift after I had slept on it. When I wore my hair in the "sha-bob" it was the only thing I could use on my hair as it has some natural wave in it. It straightened it just enough and made it ultra bouncy!

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot