Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lazy" Vintage Hair Ideas

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much for that info Sunny. I suspected that it's possible to train your hair into needing washing less often, I mean in my 1940s books, women wash their hair once a week, or once a fortnight in the case of frizzy hair. The more you strip the oils, the faster your head produces them! I seem to remember only washing it once a week as a child (although obviously hormones make for greasier hair and skin) and as a teen I had dreadlocks that I only washed once a month or so when they got grubby looking :)eek: :eek: ). But whereas you went through enforced greasiness due to circumstance, if I wanted to get to that stage now I'd have to go to work every day looking like a greaseball while I got used to it, so I've never really tried.

I need a larger array of bandanas and headwraps so I can try to stretch it out! I mean I try to use shampoos without SLS etc anyway, but it really is kinder to your hair and scalp to wash less so I should give it a go.

roots66

One of the Regulars
GILDA said:
Every women should own a hot air brush. I love mine and cant live without it...For anyone who doent know what Im talking about it looks like a curling iron, but instead of a barrel it has a brush and hot air comes out. So technically your brushing and drying at the same time. I got the tip from my mother who has been using one since the sixties. Its essential

Ditto! But I had no idea they've been around since the sixties...in fact, I didn't even know these gadgets existed until just a couple of months ago when I spotted one while looking for a new curling iron. I've never been able to master proper blow-drying-with-a-brush technique--I'm too much of a spazz--but now that I've got this baby I don't have to! Transforms my fine, flat hair into volume city.

One slight problem, though. I've tried spray gel, mousse, root lifting spray, and thickening spray or cream (not all at once!!!), and I try to apply the goop sparingly, but no matter how little I use, I always seem get a bit of crunchiess once they hair is dry. Any recommendations on products that volumize without leaving crunchy residue behind?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My lazy hair day is pretty much the only 40s style I've mastered, and that's using combs to pull the sides up, and then curling the back. My hair is about mid-neck length, very thick and coarse. Just backcomb the sides a bit for volume and pull them up, slide the combs in to hold it, and then hit the rest with a curling iron and brush, or flip it up - I have seen a lot of 1940s photos of women with hair flipped up in the back. You could also curl the back a bit and wear a snood, if your hair is long enough.

Here are a few pictures of the way this looks on me (sorry I don't have any shots of it outside of uniforms):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Lancaster 2006/DSCN14452.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Lancaster 2006/DSCN14421.jpg

We were goofing around here, but I think my hair looks very cute! (I'm in the front.):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Homecoming at Hangar One 2007/DSCN2270.jpg

Shimmy Sally

hair today, gone tomorrow

525044041_349227c065.jpg

This was taken after dancing, so forgive the wildness. Sometimes I just put combs into the front/top to create a couple loose buns to keep it out of my face. Let the rest fall where it may.

525040259_b5fbbb366c.jpg

Here is a 5 min summer up-do. I just do a couple twists, then pin the ends under.

525040257_e2cd279713_o.jpg

525040247_496486d69c_o.jpg

Here I just roll the bangs, then throw the rest into a flowered snood that I secure with a flower clip. When it's lone, the snood isn’t big enough for all of my hair, so sometimes I attach it to the back of a hat. This snood I won in a DivaPinUp cheesecake contest (thanks Suzanne)

525040243_b879985d86.jpg

A couple flower clips on the side to dress up a blah hair day

525040229_0492a8983f_m.jpg

525040227_391be5e616_m.jpg

Here I make a ponytail then pull it through itself to create a twist. Add a couple butterfly clips for fun and go dancing! Don't worry, I took out the brown barrette first!

525063115_26b8325f8c_m.jpg

When I’m really desperate, I put pigtails in leather lace-ups. Don’t laugh, they couldn’t be more secure.

Shimmy Sally

Thora Zine said:
These 2 are just lovely, you have a classic profile for an up-ish do like that. You could easily wear a Gibson Roll. Very nice.
Thank you! I don't know how to do a Gibson Girl. I used to wear my hair in a bun with ringlets on the sides though.
I don't like the new foam bun rats. I liked the netted ones that were so easy to slip pins into.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
well if this are your lazy vintage hair dos, I think I will give up with vintage hair - your hairstyles look both beautiful and complicated...
well yes I´m all thumbs when it comes to hairstyling :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
GILDA said:
Every women should own a hot air brush. I love mine and cant live without it. On busy days, I put some VO5 hairdressing or Vitapointe in and use that to dry my hair, shaping curls as I dry. For anyone who doent know what Im talking about it looks like a curling iron, but instead of a barrel it has a brush and hot air comes out. So technically your brushing and drying at the same time. I got the tip from my mother who has been using one since the sixties. Its essential

I have one of these and love it. It requires a lot less coordination too, for those of us who get a little challenged by a round brush and blow dryer. I have a bob, so I'll often just use the hot air brush to blow the ends under.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I have one of these and love it. It requires a lot less coordination too, for those of us who get a little challenged by a round brush and blow dryer. I have a bob, so I'll often just use the hot air brush to blow the ends under.

lol...I am so opposite, the hot air brush gets on my freakin nerves.
Maybe just because I have flash backs of jr high school and the regular round hot brush things, I got the darned thing tangled in my head. Plush the air brush gets to hot for me, I prefer the round brush and blow dryer.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Oh yeah... I got a regular curling brush stuck in mine big time in 5th grade. My mom wasn't home and my dad cut it out, ugh!!
Nikki

badleekitty

New in Town
I use hot rollers in my lazy hair day just put them in for awhile and pin the sides with bobbie pins or a cute clip. Somtimes I will just put up in a pony tail..

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
pretty faythe said:
lol...I am so opposite, the hot air brush gets on my freakin nerves.
Maybe just because I have flash backs of jr high school and the regular round hot brush things, I got the darned thing tangled in my head. Plush the air brush gets to hot for me, I prefer the round brush and blow dryer.

:eek:fftopic: Hahaha, oh no, it must be something about jr. high then! I, too, got my hair stuck in one in 7th grade - almost to the roots. Needless to say, I was about an hour or so late fo school and felt like crying. I think the secretary knew where I was coming from when I told her of my incident because she let me go without a tardy slip.

As for lazy days, I usually just do a side part and pin it back or do a mini pomp. Ponytails are nice for when it feels like an armpit outside lol

swinggal

One Too Many
I do one with braids thats kinda cool. I got it out of the '40s Hairstyle' book.

41VYHH2Q67L._AA240_.jpg

You basically get a bandana or scarf, roll it and plait it into your braid first on one side...then the other. Then you use the ends that are hanging out of the bottom of the braid to tie the braids up on the top of your head. It's very cute.

Shimmy Sally

swinggal said:
I do one with braids thats kinda cool. I got it out of the '40s Hairstyle' book.You basically get a bandana or scarf, roll it and plait it into your braid first on one side...then the other. Then you use the ends that are hanging out of the bottom of the braid to tie the braids up on the top of your head. It's very cute.
That sounds cute, do you have a picture?

Here's a quick summer nape roll:
595339197_9c9a5cd874.jpg

Here is the new style of foam bun rat. Isn't it awful? If anyone knows a place I can order a net one, please let me know.
595744948_6398e8cebd_o.jpg

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Shimmy Sally said:
That sounds cute, do you have a picture?

Here's a quick summer nape roll:
595339197_9c9a5cd874.jpg

Here is the new style of foam bun rat. Isn't it awful? If anyone knows a place I can order a net one, please let me know.
595744948_6398e8cebd_o.jpg

Oh, Sally....I think I have a vintage one-remember the one I showed you the night of the movie? I have another one just in case I ever decide to use it, so do you want me to bring it along tomorrow night so you can look at it again?

Reenie

New in Town
milk maid braids

I dont know what era this hairstyle originates from but i think its a really cute way to wear you hair up, but does anyone know how one earth to do it, or similiarly braiding the hair around the nape of the neck kind of thing.?I dont have any pictures of what i mean i am afriad. cuz i cant do it myself. but if you have any ideas.... I have quite short hair- not even shoulder length yeat, but is it just king of french braiding it?

If anyone has any pictures or tips i would be very much obliged. ta gals!:p

Brandy

New in Town
I have an a-line that's grown into a bobesque wonky I can't even describe it do. I go days without washing mine as well. It's something your hair learns to do. I used to have it set once a week just like grandma so you learn NOT to wash it. **For redheads, to prolong your color, wash in COLD water!! Sucks, I know but it doesn't fade as fast.**

When I want a quick fix and I don't want to hassle with heat or a hairbrush, I just run my hands along side my temples to the back of my head and pin the hair back. It leaves the top, shorter layers over hanging. Then I take my bangs and and twist them, push them to pomp them up and pin them. I always add a flower or two to hide the pin on my bangs and go. Lasts ALL day and all the next if it comes down to it. I can work out in the fields all night and still have the same look the following day. Nobody's ever the wiser.:D

***insert obligatory BATHROOM pics***

Flower1.jpg

flower4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW