Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lazy" Vintage Hair Ideas

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Shimmy Sally said:
That sounds cute, do you have a picture?

Here's a quick summer nape roll:
595339197_9c9a5cd874.jpg

Here is the new style of foam bun rat. Isn't it awful? If anyone knows a place I can order a net one, please let me know.
595744948_6398e8cebd_o.jpg

http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/KREMB/up_do/

This place has them...someone posted it a while back but I have not ordered from them yet.

click on the close ups of the rats to see what I mean...

Vermont Country Store also has some..

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...Type=CATEGORY&iMainCat=375&iSubCat=548&page=2

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Reenie said:
I dont know what era this hairstyle originates from but i think its a really cute way to wear you hair up, but does anyone know how one earth to do it, or similiarly braiding the hair around the nape of the neck kind of thing.?I dont have any pictures of what i mean i am afriad. cuz i cant do it myself. but if you have any ideas.... I have quite short hair- not even shoulder length yeat, but is it just king of french braiding it?

If anyone has any pictures or tips i would be very much obliged. ta gals!:p

I assume you are talking about wearing a braid over the crown? There are two ways to do it. One is to take your yard or so of hair and braid it and then wrap it around your head. This isn't going to work for most...you can fake it with a false braid though.

You can also french braid it, there are directions and pictures on dreamweaverbraiding.com.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
My Lazy Day Hair

This is how I wore my hair today. This is one of my lazy day hairstyles. I look like poop because it was hot outside and my face is swollen from my "Lady Time" and the heat.
IM000045b.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I assume you are talking about wearing a braid over the crown? There are two ways to do it. One is to take your yard or so of hair and braid it and then wrap it around your head. This isn't going to work for most...you can fake it with a false braid though.

You can also french braid it, there are directions and pictures on dreamweaverbraiding.com.

i've done it with shorter hair, but i did one braid on each side of my head and looped them both over, artfully hiding the ends .

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
This is how I wore my hair today. This is one of my lazy day hairstyles. I look like poop because it was hot outside and my face is swollen from my "Lady Time" and the heat.
IM000045b.jpg

It's Heidi! ;)

Seriously, I do my hair like that too sometimes. Then, of course, I have to stick flowers in it and jazz it up because I start looking older when my hair is up!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
For my 'Argh! I haven't had time to set my hair' days I work on a combination of pining up the front and sides with pins curls, rolls and combs depending on the era I'm doing then roll up the back and pin in a sort of Victory Roll.

For a 30s look I curl the front around my face with curling tongs then twist and pin before rolling up the back in a low roll at the nape of the neck or do a couple of little pin curls that roll down and under to the hairline, ears and my side parting then do the back.

For 40s I might do pincurls that roll up or two side rolls then pin the back. My hair isn't really long enough for plaits that cross over at the back but I have done this for my friend who has long hair. I have also done about five or six fat pin curls across the nape of the neck which holds quite well if you have fine hair and also distrubutes the weight of heavy hair (my friend again!) Or there is always the good old snood to cover the back, only my hair tends to try and escape if it hasn't been curled.

Sorry I haven't got any pics to post but hope you can invisage what I mean.

This is when I'm doing an event. Day to day it's wash and go or a pony tail, I'm afraid!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Shimmy Sally said:
That sounds cute, do you have a picture?

Here's a quick summer nape roll:
595339197_9c9a5cd874.jpg

Here is the new style of foam bun rat. Isn't it awful? If anyone knows a place I can order a net one, please let me know.
595744948_6398e8cebd_o.jpg

Wow! It looks Perfect! I never manage that one without hairs and pins peeking out all the time! What´s your secret?

Lolita: Your braids looks georgous! Really cute country-girl style!

Shimmy Sally

RetroModelSari said:
Wow! It looks Perfect! I never manage that one without hairs and pins peeking out all the time! What´s your secret?
Thank you! Strangely, it turns out better when I'm in a hurry. So I guess the secret is to do it quickly. ;) As you can see, I end up with some strays by the end of the night no matter what I do.

Brooksie

One Too Many
This is what I used to do for lazy vintage hair when my hair used to be down to the middle of my back... For a day time look I would wash my hair and blow dry it till it was almost completly dry (with just a slight amount of dampness) then I would take a pair of good old fashioned laquered chop sticks - you can find them at an asian grocery store, then i would twist my hair up into a french roll. Then for the night time look I would take the chopsticks out and "voila" you have beautiful instant waves at this point you can pin up the sides or place in flower if you would like.

LB

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Does anyone know any lazy & casual up-do's for the up-do impaired? I'm going to New Jersey next week and when it's humid my hair gets pretty wavy, and curls are too much of a bother for me on vacation. What's something lazy & simple that would work nicely with a vintage dress?

Lolita, how do you do the cute little Swiss Miss braid? I'm clueless when it comes to anything other than combs, curls and waves!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
by the "Swiss Miss braid" do you mean the braid crossed on top?

If you want to do that, it is rather easy! Part your hair down the middle, braid both sides, and cross on top and pin ends in. OR depending on the length of your hair, you can make pigtails, one on each side, and wrap over the top of the head, and around the pigtail and pin it back into the pig tail where you started. you can also wrap a ribbon around the base of it and tie a bow to make it extra cute!

My cheater hair do's for the summer months, are low pigtails with curly bottoms and ribbons with bows, and if I want to dress them up, I either roll my hair from my forehead to the nape of my neck and make a pigtail, or I french braid either side and make pigtails of the bottoms.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I loooove my new haircut! I've been growing out my hair from a short Audrey-esque cut, and it just recently got long enough at the top for me to bob it...perfect, because I have a 1920's studio shoot at the end of the month. It's just a classic bob with blunt baby bangs.

It's so easy to manage, but I can do so many cute styles with it! When I just let it be, I get an adorable Amelie look. I curled it yesterday (with an iron because I was on the go...have yet to pincurl it), and loved the look. I love it clipped up in a barette or wrapped in a scarf. I'd post pictures if I could, but my personal computer blew up a few days ago. I'll be sure to post some images from the upcoming shoot, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana