Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Cafe Racer Jacket.

CRAZYBUBBA

Familiar Face
I know this to be true
He's personally bought a Levi's 506xx from a customer of a customer of mine.

No doubt that's the case with most famous people out there but the thing is, Depp's had this Rockabilly/50's Biker/Gypsy thing going for quite a long time now. Too long. I remember seeing him in clothes (and hats) we talk about here long before this whole heritage craze caught on. Like, before the internet. And nobody else wore that kinda stuff back then. Not off screen, anyway. It may all be a fabricated project by his stylists but even so, they're doing a really good job.

90's. Sears Oakbrook. The early one. Good one.
slide_301946_2548743_free.jpg

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
Giles from Iron Heart UK wearing a café racer with collar at 59.

View attachment 77917

I think that as others have said, if you've got the figure for it, you can carry it off at any age.

That's a great looking piece, especially with the action back. You pull it off because it's real. There's a difference of someone who dresses like this regularly, and the guy that fakes it. Luckily, my regular wear is 501, boots and leather. On the rare occasions I need to wear a suit, my favorite is black. People compliment me, and tell me I clean up well. Not sure how to take it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Johnny has some cool wardrobe items for sure but the problem is he wears too much of it at once. He'll wear 3 shirts, a jacket, a hat, 4 scarves, 40 bracelets, 6 necklaces, 8 earrings, 18 rings etc. all at the same time. It's like he can't decide what to wear so he says **** it, I'll wear all of it

Last edited by a moderator:

UnknownSuspect

New in Town
I think body shape and overall appearance is much more important in "carrying off" a leather jacket than age. Cafe racer leather jackets would probably suit people with either an athletic frame (V-shaped torso with smaller waist and well built chest) or rectangular frame (uniformly slim throughout). But just because a person has the frame doesn't always mean they look the best in leather versus jackets made from other materials (eg. cotton or wool).

In my case, the vast majority of my friends and family consider that I don't look as good in leather but will do better with jackets of a softer material. The more rugged a person is in terms of facial features and hairstyle, the better they can carry off a leather jacket. I'll admit to having a baby/well-behaved boy face which leads most people to think that I'm 10 or more years younger than I truly am, which means as far as facial appearance goes, I don't really fit the bill.

However overriding all of that is a factor simply known as self-confidence or quite simply, being self-assured. At 35 and having wanted to wear a quality leather jacket for the better part of a decade, I don't really give a damn if people think I don't look good in leather. Don't get me wrong of course, because I also believe in balance. Most of us have some sort of wardrobe and know how to vary things up a bit. If we are able to achieve several completely different "looks" to suit the occasion and required dress code, then that's a good thing.

On the topic of actual jackets, I am enamoured with the two I've got: a black Schott 641xx that is super slim fitting and probably a size or even two smaller than it should be, and a brown American Eagle A-2 goatskin jacket that I primarily wear to work (dress code is flexible).

DirtyWaterGuy

New in Town
FWIW, the classic lines of a CR jacket never go out of style, especially for us >50 guys. I actually think a shirt/tie doesn't look half bad under a CR. Understated and unexpected. Definitely not for formal/wall street types, but I'm casual at work and can get away with it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
FWIW, the classic lines of a CR jacket never go out of style, especially for us >50 guys. I actually think a shirt/tie doesn't look half bad under a CR. Understated and unexpected. Definitely not for formal/wall street types, but I'm casual at work and can get away with it.

Nice username. A good jacket keeps away the muggers, buggers, and thieves ;)

DirtyWaterGuy

New in Town
Nice username. A good jacket keeps away the muggers, buggers, and thieves ;)
Yeah, that's me, I work with LARGE scale wastewater and water reclamation projects in NYC water supply watershed. Nice job because I like making the world a cleaner place to live and really enjoy working near and for the City of NY.

devilish

A-List Customer
I personally think a shirt and tie looks good under most leather jacket styles. After all, when most of the jacket types we all love were created, 90% of them would have been worn that way. Look at all the vintage newspaper/magazine adds for them. All have shirt, tie leather jacket and fedora combinations.

As for Mr. Depp, I agree that his problem is the overdoing it. Take away all the 'extra' bits he wears and he'd look so much better.

As for Mr. Depp, I agree that his problem is the overdoing it. Take away all the 'extra' bits he wears and he'd look so much better.

I don't know, I think it's the overdoing part that makes his style fun and interesting. Take that away and he'd end up looking like one of those cosplaying posers which is like seriously the worst thing you can do to yourself.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Im finding it kind of funny what a swing this has taken. People saying if you like it wear it and who cares what others think then right down the line johnny depp is being critiqued for what he wears or doesnt wear. On the topic of cafe racers would somebody please buy a bates so a new review can be posted?

devilish

A-List Customer
It's not like Mr Depp gives a tinker's damn what any of us are saying. People can have opinions and others can choose to ignore them.
I personally like a few 'accessories' and others have told me they don't like them on me. As for Johnny Depp, I do like the direction his style generally takes, I just feel he over eggs the pudding a lot of the time.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johnny has some cool wardrobe items for sure but the problem is he wears too much of it at once. He'll wear 3 shirts, a jacket, a hat, 4 scarves, 40 bracelets, 6 necklaces, 8 earrings, 18 rings etc. all at the same time. It's like he can't decide what to wear so he says **** it, I'll wear all of it
It's that Keith Richards influence. He's a bad man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24