Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Collar Wear

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Anyone else find that the back of the collar wears faster than the rest of your jacket? I know couple of guys who have had to have their collar replaced as they actually damaged the hide where the back of their neck touched the collar.

One explanation I heard is that if your skin is of a certain pH it can break down the leather. Sounds dubious but who knows? I have two jackets that are newish but the collars are fading and looking more worn (where the back of my neck rests) than the rest of the jacket. I tend to wear t-shirts so my skin touches the leather there. Anyone else got this issue?

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
It's not a dubious idea at all. Your skin oils and sweat are slightly acid. They will degrade for example the interior mechanisms of firearms over time if not properly maintained. For all of leather's wonderful properties it's not tougher than steel.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Take a look at vintage wartime A-2 jackets - the top fold of the collar almost invariably wears to a greater degree than most other parts of the jacket and the pH is the issue (the pH varies from one individual, but I've seen pH 4.5 - 7 quoted). Acidic sweat + grime + microbes = hydrolysis/degradation of the collagen fibres in the leather (end result grimy/holed leather).
I've also read from conservation literature that in some cases sulphur dioxide can be absorbed by the leather from the atmosphere and (particularly in the presence of an oxidant - ozone, oxides of nitrogen, oxygen - enough energy plus ultraviolet light) oxidised to form sulphuric acid.
A jacket collector of long standing (Jacket Imp from the VLJF - who no longer posts) always warned me off using T shirts with leather jackets and I've stuck to this - I always wear a collared shirt.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A few of the high end makers include a replacement collar with purchase for just this situation. I've yet to use them as I always wear a scarf, turtle neck or collared shirt with my leathers.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The wear's usually accompanied with darkening of the leather from oils.
IMG_0115.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My leather collars are wearing in this way, just as most of the vintage examples I've seen. The oils produced by human skin are rather powerful. You have only to look through a pile of old eyeglasses frames to see another example.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No question. The ends of my sleeves, too.
I have had Johnson Leathers replace both on my old jacket.
They did a lovely job of matching leather, almost 20 years later.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I rarely wear a leather jacket without a hoodie underneath it. Not fashionable for this crowd, but that's how I am most comfortable. And the leather never (rarely) touches my skin.

When I'm not wearing a hoodie, and want to look presentable, I usually wear a shawl neck sweater under a leather. Again, the leather doesn't touch my neck.

Edward

Bartender
Collar wear happens. Just enjoy your jackets!

Yes, within reason, of course, this would be my view too. Ultimately, in the last instance.... they're just clothes, and nothing lasts forever. I'm certainly not flippant about it (not with what I have tied up in them moneywise!), but I do think sometimes we enthusiasts can baby stuff a little too muvh. Fair enough if it's a rare / valuable / irreplaceable vintage piece, but a modern reproduction jacket.... if I know I'd be afraid to wear it in case I damaged it, it's not for me. Just my two Eurocents...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No, this "just wear it" misses my point. We buy leather and pay a heap specifically because we see these jackets as items that last many years. My friend's goat hide collar degraded and wore through in 5 years and needed replacing. It's a very nice goat halfbelt. My goat leather collar is already greatly discolored and the texture is breaking down and I have only had the jacket a year. It's clearly a weakness in leather clothing and comes from the t-shirt wearing habit. I can fix it by wearing a collar. Thankfully I have a few shirts with collars these days.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We might suffer a bit more being in a warmer climate than most of the guys here Seb. Maybe it just boils down to the fact its warmer, we sweat more, so the jackets take more damage faster?

mattp

One of the Regulars
How about wiping the part that touches your neck with a damp cloth after wearing it, and periodic conditioning? Within a year seems pretty quick to wear out a collar, I mostly wear my jackets with tees, and have no appreciable wear on any of the collars so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran