Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket: awkward question

David Reza

New in Town
Hi everyone! I have an awkward question

Do you have any tip to maintain clean and also out of bad smells a horsehide leather jacket? I mean of course you should go to specialized cleaning and everything but it's kinda difficult to do it all the time and the sweat and my armpit are not my best friends

Do you have any advice?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
One word: Ozonemachine

Put the machine together with the jacket(s) in a small confined space and let it run for a couple of hours.

86FAEF3B-BD87-48C2-859C-874B4532B300.jpeg
10FF8F82-CA80-46EB-8571-0A91E72C8161.jpeg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David, I’m not sure how much you really need to worry about this, unless you truly are perspiring much more than normal. I often wear my leather jackets out on walks and when I start to feel hot or sweaty I take the jacket off until I cool down again. I would think that would work for most of us.

barnabus

One Too Many
Are you serious? Just like that and it's not bad for the leather?

You'd probably have to treat the leather afterwards with some kind of oil replenishment, but no, I don't think it hurts the leather.

I've put all of my leather jackets through the washing machine (except for suede, obv) with no ill effects.

Don't do that though until others have weighed in on the prospect.

Last edited:

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Washing machine. Gentle cycle. Cold water. Detergent. Air dry, on thick dry towels. Turning every few hours. Replace with new dry towels as needed. Place a few fans blowing to speed drying. 48 hours. Then condition to replenish. I have done this with a few jackets. Worked well for me.
I believe the ozone device is also very good- never heard negatives.

David Reza

New in Town
You'd probably have to treat the leather afterwards with some kind of oil replenishment, but no, I don't think it hurts the leather.

I've put all of my leather jackets through the washing machine (except for suede, obv) with no ill effects.

Don't do that though until others have weighed in on the prospect.
Thank you very much for the advice =D

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I was so close of buying that ozone machine when my country was hit hard by the covid, now I kinda regretting... I do have UV light C that also emanates ozone maybe not as effective as ozone machine, but UVc might fade the subborn color into beautiful patina... who knows:)

robrinay

One Too Many
If you do hand or machine wash do not fasten the main zipper as the weight of the wet leather will tear any weak spots. I ruined a 1950’s Schott perfecto long mc jacket by not following my own advice.

Last edited:
Spray vodka. Hang outside away from sun. It works.
I know a number of people that work in theatre and the movie wardrobe departments. Cheap vodka is their best friend for removing odours......especially body odour. And if you are stressed at work you have it ready at hand. I have used cleaning vinegar as well on wool. It works but takes longer for the vinegar odour to dissipate and I walk around jonesing for fish and chips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko