Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket in the washing machine

Banzai

Familiar Face
I've read many conflicting things on this, so I'm certain that starting this thread will only yield more conflicting anecdotes. That being said, here we go?

I have two fairly new jackets that I'm interesting in softening up. If one of them shrank a little bit, that would be ok too.

So here's my logic matrix:

If the washing machine is alright for the jacket with no shrinkage; both can go in.
If it is alright for the jacket but will shrink it; one can go in, depending on how much shrinkage is expected.
If it is bad for the jacket, then neither go.

And, any techniques for this approach?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've put many jackets in the machine - goat, steer and cow hide only. One veg tanned. Cold water, detergent. Never had any shrinkage at all. Nothing. But NEVER dry in warmth or use warm water. That's probably where the trouble starts. The jacket may take a week to dry. I use a front loader since it is far less aggressive, with less chance of damage.

Of course there are some folk here who will tell you how their leather jacket shrunk after being worn in the rain. I'm sure it's true but I can't relate that to my experience.

dan_t

Practically Family
I've put a goat hide jacket in a washing machine once. It was a relatively new Aero too. Cold water, short cycle, minimal detergent for gentle fabrics.
The colour washed out in many parts much more than I would like. It also actually hardened the leather somewhat. I figure it must have washed out some of the oils etc.
For what it's worth, I'll never make that mistake again.
I say just wear it & be patient.
Why are we all so obsessed with instant gratification anyway these days? Surely one of the best things about this 'hobby' is to have a jacket become 'yours' and fit you like a second skin? This will only happen with time.

On the other had, it can make the grain pop!
First pics is before, following two are after.

Aero1930sHalfBeltDetail2_zps8b432352.jpg

Aero%20Slim%20Fit%20Half%20Belt%2022%20of%2022-10_zpsn5wspt8w.jpg

Aero%201930s%20Half%20Belt%208%20of%2032-5_zps54puoe2j.jpg

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I put one in the machine once on a low heat as I wanted to shrink it. It shrank perfectly, but one thing I didn't take into account is that zips don't. So though the jacket fits perfectly the zip looks like a roller coaster!

That is exactly what I want to say, when the lining shrinks more while the zippers simple don't shrink, you've got a problem..... If you really want to accelerate the process, why not try some other milder methods such as warm water in spraying bottle etc etc? Or simply wear it under the rain (well, not down pours or monsoons.....). I always think that chucking leather jackets in a washing machine is simply wrong, especially with detergent.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I should add that in my experience the leather always comes out softer and with much more character after a wash, I think the detergent is the key. Jackets that needed a lot of breaking in (3oz steer, for instance) came out perfect and for me this is a real benefit since I have many jackets and breaking one in can literally take years if I go the old fashioned way.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would not do that! To much room for a ruined jacket.

As said in the previous post, just use a spray bottle or go stand in the rain. Once the jacket is wet just wear it until dry while moving as much as possible.
Do that a couple times in a row and the jacket will feel like a second skin.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think there must be a reason most manufacturers recommend dry cleaning only, and I would add that it be done by a dry cleaner who specializes in fine leather goods. If a jacket is too big, why not just sell it and buy one that fits? Personally I would be hesitant to buy a jacket that had been listed as having been through a washing machine, primarily for fear of uneven shrinkage. I realize that a number of Lounge members have posted success with washing, but that's just me.

Last edited:

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
How does the Dry Cleaning guy do it ? Is there a special method or chemical that they use ??

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've put an Aero FQHH jacket in a warm washer....It softened it up a little but didn't shrink it at all (which is what I was hoping it would do.)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Not surprised - you cannot harm a FQHH in the washing machine. You've just reminded me I washed my Aero half-belt in FQHH a couple of years ago. Didn't really make much impact at all now I think of it. Slightly softened it up.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since I first came on the Lounge a few years back, I don't know how many threads we've had on this topic. I suspect that it partially has to do with the fact that guys, in general, simply can't leave well enough alone but have to **** with everything new. For instance, I just got a pair of expensive, light tan boots. The first thing I did, despite my wife's and son's objections, was to send out for some Neatsfoot oil and a chunk of beeswax. They're still sitting there on a bookshelf calling to me. Probably be this weekend.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
If it is a FQHH jacket put it in a duvet cover and put it with some wet towels in a tumbler, gentle but warm temperature, check the jacket every 5 minutes. This will soften a FQHH jacket und let it shrink a little. Give the jacket a hot shower especially the parts you want to shrink bevor you put it in the tumbler. I have done that once but do it at your own risk. If you let the jacket to long in the tumbler it can harm your jacket. Wear the warm jacket after the procedure for a while. I would not take the risk to put a jacket in a washing machine. The tumbler gives you more control over the procedure if you regular check the jacket in the tumbler. Do not put leather like the Vicenza in a warm tumbler, it will damage the leather.
just my 2 cents

Willybob

A-List Customer
Dry cleaning is not a dry process. Your jacket with be placed in a WET chemical bath so I don't see the benefit of letting a stranger soak your $1,000 garment in chemicals when you can achieve the same result from a cold water wash. We're talking cleaning here. And the only thing you may want to clean is the liner pits. The leather just needs an occasional wipe down. Dry cleaners won't guarantee your jacket won't shrink. I've read account after account of folks washing their jackets full immersion in the shower or bathtub to get the liner clean with no ill results. Mild soap and cold water. Tumble it in a dryer in a sack with the heat off if you are in a hurry to break it in.

Banzai

Familiar Face
I think there must be a reason most manufacturers recommend dry cleaning only, and I would add that it be done by a dry cleaner who specializes in fine leather goods. If a jacket is too big, why not just sell it and buy one that fits? Personally I would be hesitant to buy a jacket that had been listed as having been through a washing machine, primarily for fear of uneven shrinkage. I realize that a number of Lounge members have posted success with washing, but that's just me.

With this particular jacket, the size smaller was too small. This one is almost right...just a touch big...and if it was a little bit smaller, it would be perfect. But it works as is too.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I don't have super waxy or rigid leather jacket, so I don't need to put any of mine in the washing machine, so far I only worn them under a shower and rain, and let it dry on me while doing some movements or keep on riding in it until it dried by the wind.

I remember someone at SF threw his processed lamb fashion jacket in the washer and survived... so I believe it won't harm horse, steer, cow, goat.
However I'm not sure if the post washing result would be your cup of tea

I suspect, it would reset creases & make more contrast through different color loss, both combined, you might end up with a jacket with mismatched fading and crease pattern, especially if you bought a preowned jacket with previous creases done by someone else body.
another thing it will probably crush all the rigidity throughout the jacket, so it would be soft allover... reminded me of the result of vigorous brushing with hairy bovine brush done by fellow member in the past, and perhaps distorted wavy zips...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Hot washed a "beater" GW A2. Shrunk about a whole size in all the right ways. Grain went a bit crazy, but did not ruin the jacket by any stretch.

Put it in the washer in hot water. Let it sit there, NEVER let it cycle through. Sat soaked for about 10mins (TOPS). Then I took it out and dried it a bit with a few "beater" beach towels. Then I threw it in the dryer along with the beach towels, and let it spin dry on low heat. Took it out every 5-10mins or so to ensure the fit was ok and the leather wasn't trashed

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
I guess the mantra here is; do it at your own peril.
You may, or may not have any adverse reactions, whether they be related to the colour, size, wavy zips or mismatched grain.

I stand by my earlier comment, just wear it!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I guess the mantra here is; do it at your own peril.
You may, or may not have any adverse reactions, whether they be related to the colour, size, wavy zips or mismatched grain.

I stand by my earlier comment, just wear it!

Absolutely agree. I am just curious about those who have subjected their jackets in machine washings, what types of jacket linings do you guys have? Certainly not wool I guess? As I understand here, washing machines give an accelerated ageing to the jackets, has anyone done some comparison how their jackets can hold on, with and without the washings. If it means taking a few years away from my brand new jacket, now way!

P.S. I think some of us here are just too obsessed with excessive creases and patterns......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran